A little assistance needed please

Wolf

Visit site
Firstly hello to everyone complete newbie here.

Long time golf fan, but not played in a fair while. Used to play a lot of junior golf competitively, but then found girls, joined the forces and done a few other things along the way, played about 4 games in last 10 years really enjoying the social aspect rather than competition, but really now have got the desire to get back into playing regular golf again, especially after a trip to Le Golf National for the first day of the Ryder Cup.

The biggest thing I need help with is where to play, my partner and I are relocating in the next 6-8 weeks from the heart of Kent to a little village just outside of Lincoln, which frees up money and time for me to start playing again, but I don't know the area at all so was wondering if there any kind folk on here with knowledge of the area that can make some recommendations.

Look forward to hopefully being here for the long haul and chatting with you all

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,
I have no idea about the golf in Lincoln but welcome to the Forum. I’m sure there will be plenty of people able to help you out.

D

Deleted member 17920

What side of Lincoln are you moving to? This is a big point as getting across Lincoln can be hard work as there are roadworks everywhere.

How often do you see yourself playing? Some clubs do flexible membership some are cheap.

You get what you pay for though. Lincoln isn’t blessed with great courses but they are reasonable.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wolf you won’t go wrong following the advice from Mr Quaker he is a very helpful and knowledgeable person BUT if his side kick Mr Quacker aka Captainron offers any of his advice err on the side of caution (y)(y)
Am hoping you listen to this hahaha!!

Wolf

Visit site
What side of Lincoln are you moving to? This is a big point as getting across Lincoln can be hard work as there are roadworks everywhere.

How often do you see yourself playing? Some clubs do flexible membership some are cheap.

You get what you pay for though. Lincoln isn’t blessed with great courses but they are reasonable.

We're moving to a place called Billinghay not far from Metheringham, I've had a quick Google and seems to be a few things about but was hoping for a little insight before we move up and have a drive about. I'm not to worried about it being great as long as it's looked after and I can start to enjoy golf again.

Am hoping you listen to this hahaha!!
Haha is it that bad then..

Wolf

Visit site
South Kyme is ok
Blankney and Boston are nice
Woodhall Spa is the best

Thanks for this exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, South Kyme is pretty close so could be good to dust off the cobwebs before moving up the leagues so to speak to the others. Woodhall looks stunning and if i'm reading it right the membership looks reasonably priced

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You're on the side of kent I'm unfamiliar with - however, if driving isn't an issue and you're ex mob then cobtree manor near Junction 5/6 on the M20 will do you a services discount - think it was £500 for a year (Don't quote me as that was a couple of years ago.) Course isn't the best around but not bad for a municipal.

I sent an email around the local courses just asking about membership when i started golf seriously again - most gave me a complimentary round to check out the course/club/facilities etc. - Give that a go.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
If it's not too far from you, would definitely recommend Sandilands Golf Club, a brilliant Links course, and I think one of the oldest in the region.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You're on the side of kent I'm unfamiliar with - however, if driving isn't an issue and you're ex mob then cobtree manor near Junction 5/6 on the M20 will do you a services discount - think it was £500 for a year (Don't quote me as that was a couple of years ago.) Course isn't the best around but not bad for a municipal.

I sent an email around the local courses just asking about membership when i started golf seriously again - most gave me a complimentary round to check out the course/club/facilities etc. - Give that a go.

Someone didn't read the OP properly.:rolleyes::oops:
He's moving FROM Kent to Lincolnshire.:eek:

Wolf

Visit site
It depends what you are used to.
Most of the courses round here are around £600-£800

That's a reasonable amount imho, Kent courses are around £1K and upwards generally speaking, my dad in his 70's as a VET pays £1200 a year for a course , with no practice facilities and isn't half as good as somewhere like Woodhall which is a lot cheaper so better value for money.

Looking at Google Maps, South Kyme is a mere 10 mins from where we will be living so that's looking a promising track to start with and get back into things, before increasing the budget and going over to Woodhall Spa which is just 17 mins away. Both those distances will keep my other half happy and means can get home quickly enough after a sociable drink..

D

Deleted member 17920

We're moving to a place called Billinghay not far from Metheringham, I've had a quick Google and seems to be a few things about but was hoping for a little insight before we move up and have a drive about. I'm not to worried about it being great as long as it's looked after and I can start to enjoy golf again.

Haha is it that bad then..

If you are coming to Billinghay then you need to come and have a chat with me ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Woodhall has 2 courses so personally I would go straight there and play the 2nd course then move up to the main course when you are ready.

Wolf

Visit site
If you are coming to Billinghay then you need to come and have a chat with me ;)

Sounds like being groomed :ROFLMAO:..
Are you close by then Quaker, be good once we get up there to meet a few people won't be so much Billy no mates then, more like Billy Cling on.....

Woodhall has 2 courses so personally I would go straight there and play the 2nd course then move up to the main course when you are ready.

Hadn't thought of that, good idea

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not far away myself. In Ropsley, just outside Grantham. A bit too far to travel regularly for the courses near me but you are welcome at Belton Park any time if you want a knock.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
played with a couple of lads from Lincolnshire about 6 weeks ago when I was down in Filey. They reckoned that their home course was about £200 a year. Said it wasn't the greatest, but was ok, and they topped up their golf with cheap rounds at decent places off TOT. Can't remember the name of the course, sorry, not much use I know, but one of the locals on here might have an idea where it was if you are looking for a cheap option!

Wolf

Visit site
Not far away myself. In Ropsley, just outside Grantham. A bit too far to travel regularly for the courses near me but you are welcome at Belton Park any time if you want a knock.

Definetly will be up for a knock,.may have to give me a few weeks to find something resembling a golf swing but would be good to play