A level advice

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few years ago I did Sociology and political history at A level in night school. Loved it.

Nowadays the local council only caters for courses in languages, crafts and suchlike.

I've fancied doing an A level in Geography, to expand my horizons, but can anyone recommend a company for doing this?

Companies such as ncc home learning, reed, e distance learning are a few advertising that they do it.

Also, do you think you would need the O level first, or just jump straight in?

Any advice?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got an o level and a level in geography. From memory a level was very different although to be fair it was a good few years ago. I think you could probably go straight to the a level because of that. Perhaps find a friendly geography teacher from a local school and ask their advice.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pete, try this;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gce-as-and-a-level-geography

then look up the one for O level; if you know the O level stuff, go for the A level, if not stick with the O level.

Good luck.

Cheers, blue.

I'll have a read of that later in the week.

Got a date with Elton John tomorrow night and golf on Wednesday.

The missus is a teacher, so will know all the educashunel ;)terminology.

I've got an o level and a level in geography. From memory a level was very different although to be fair it was a good few years ago. I think you could probably go straight to the a level because of that. Perhaps find a friendly geography teacher from a local school and ask their advice.

Thanks.....my lord.

Was it Roman roads, when you studied it?:whistle:

D

Deleted member 16999

Pete, Have you considered a Degree Course through OU ?
You've obviously got the mindset to study after doing your A Level.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pete, Have you considered a Degree Course through OU ?
You've obviously got the mindset to study after doing your A Level.

I looked into it a few years ago, but you need to do an average of 15 hours a week, over 6 years.

Home from work, have your tea, 2 hours every night for 6 years, have to catch up when you go away on hols etc - I'd end up sacking it.

However, when I retire, gonna do a degree in History - ideally diplomatic history.:thup:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I looked into it a few years ago, but you need to do an average of 15 hours a week, over 6 years.

Home from work, have your tea, 2 hours every night for 6 years, have to catch up when you go away on hols etc - I'd end up sacking it.

However, when I retire, gonna do a degree in History - ideally diplomatic history.:thup:

Have both an A Level Geography and Degree in History (the red brick uni in your home town).

Didn't fully appreciate either at the time but enjoyed both immensely. Well worth doing if the interest is there.

Watch you don't turn into a smart arse posh knob though ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

Have both an A Level Geography and Degree in History (the red brick uni in your home town).

Didn't fully appreciate either at the time but enjoyed both immensely. Well worth doing if the interest is there.

That's been and gone, you should hear his posh voice :whistle:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The OU do a great deal more than Degree courses.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I was going to say, I resemble 3 of them words, but Stuey would say all 4...........

That's been and gone, you should hear his posh voice :whistle:

Its called a "business" voice mate, something pipe-benders dont need.

To get an O level in pipe-bending you just need to do the following course work:-

1. Be able to show 4" of rear cleavage when bending down, hairs get bonus points.

2. Write a quote for a new bathroom, toilet and radiators on the back of a woodbines silver foil insert.

3. Keep a dirty van, 15 pieces of assorted pipe, all sorts of bends and various tools that impress the old dears that dont actually work, but look good in the back.

:whoo:

D

Deleted Member 1156

To get an O level in pipe-bending you just need to do the following course work:-

1. Be able to show 4" of rear cleavage when bending down, hairs get bonus points.

2. Write a quote for a new bathroom, toilet and radiators on the back of a woodbines silver foil insert.

3. Keep a dirty van, 15 pieces of assorted pipe, all sorts of bends and various tools that impress the old dears that dont actually work, but look good in the back.

4. Play the lead man in dodgy films where you walk into a room full of scantily clad women and say in a Swedish or German accent 'Hello, I've come to fix your washing machine'

:whoo:

Fixed for you :thup: