Advice for a beginner please

gdb19

Visit site
First of all apologies for this post as from experience with a cricket forum I'm on I know its sometimes annoying for long time members to see help me posts from new members.

I've played on average 2 or 3 rounds per year for the last 5 years and as you may have guessed I'm not great. At the moment I've gone round in under 100 once but mainly hover around 100 and along with a few guys I work with have decided to play more from now on. I'm currently using a set of dunlop max clubs that I bought cheap from sports direct when I started to play. From doing a bit of research and talking to people I know that play more I realise these aren't great quality so I'm looking to buy better kit but on a fairly limited budget as with cricket taking up my summer I'll mainly play golf over the winter.

So far I've ordered Wilson DI11 irons from onlinegolf and am impatiently waiting for them to arrive. Aside from this I'd like to add a new driver, 3 hybrid, putter and bag to completely replace my dunlop gear. I know the best advice will be to go to a shop and try clubs out but I've not managed to get round to that yet so have been mainly shopping online. The sheer amount of clubs available is making it hard for me to decide what to get so alongside looking for reviews I thought I'd ask for advice here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap but decent hybrids, drivers and putters? To give you an indication of budget I've been looking at the nike slingshot hybrid and benross quad rip speed driver from onlinegolf for about £49/£69 respectively and also the mizuno jpx fli hy hybrid from snainton golf.

Thanks

Brian_C

Club Champion
www.briancurranphotography.com
I was in a very similar situation to you, replacing all my Dunlop stuff recently. And it was perfect for starting, better than people give them credit for. Anyway, I can highly recommend the Nike Slingshot Hybrid. I got mine new 3 wks ago from AmericanGolf for £50 - a bargain. It's a great club and very easy to play with, very forgiving.
As for a driver, have a look at AG and look at Cobra S2/3, TaylorMade Burner drivers or look on eBay for a Ping K15 driver (which has a nice big club face). The Ping you'll only get on eBay as they are no longer made, but is a very easy club to play with.
I still use by Dunlop putter.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First of all apologies for this post as from experience with a cricket forum I'm on I know its sometimes annoying for long time members to see help me posts from new members.

Hi there, no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers!
Don't be too quick to knock your Dunlop kit, I bought a NZ9 hybrid from sportsdirect as I wanted to try one and didn't want to spend loads in case I didn't get on with it. Best £15 Ive spent on golf gear!

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I've got a nz9 3 wood which I paid £14.99 for and I hit it as well as any other club. I prefer to spend my golf money on trying new courses instead.

I also bought Wilson di7 irons as they were on offer for £179 three years ago. They are still going strong and I definitely wouldn't be playing any better with more expensive irons.

gdb19

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I seem to hit my dunlop driver ok so I might hold onto that and just upgrade later. I think I will go for a slingshot or mizuno hybrid 3 and maybe pick up one of the nz9 4 hybrids.

Its a slipperly slope though as with cricket I joined a forum and ended up buying loads of kit, I can see if I play more golf I'll go the same way. Already a nice new nike bag is tempting me..........

gdb19

Visit site
Cheers, sometimes on other forums I know new members can ask daft questions but I'll try to avoid that.

I've stumbled across MD golf while searching on ebay and they seem like good value for money so I think I'll look more at their drivers and putters. The superstrong driver seems to be only £50 new for an earlier model.

Last edited:

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get some cheap secondhand gear (try out Taylor Made, Calloway, Wilson, Mizuno, etc. etc. - there's TONS of stuff online a fraction of the original cost and in in local pro-shop/driving range discount bins. The Pro-shop route should mean that you can get advice and try them first, which is always better.

Buy cheap and spend any remainder on lessons and practice balls.

gdb19

Visit site
My new Di11's arrived on wednesday so I tried them out on a round last night, very happy with them though my round wasn't magically improved by just having new clubs - back to the range I think.

I'm being dragged to Ikea tonight and there is a sports direct nearby so I might have a look for one of the nz9 hybrids mentioned further up.

One thing that is winding me up is my dunlop bag, the stand legs are knackered and there aren't really enough pockets, its also not great in the rain. When I bought my irons I got about £19 worth of loyalty points on onlinegolf and they have a red nike xtreme 1v bag for £59.99 in their sale. Using my loyalty points I could get it pretty cheap - has anyone used this bag, are they any good. Searching on here and generally on the internet they seem to have fairly good reviews with only the odd negative.
Also bit of a daft question but in terms of looking after irons, is this just a matter of a quick wipe and cleaning the grooves with a brush?

Thanks

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also bit of a daft question but in terms of looking after irons, is this just a matter of a quick wipe and cleaning the grooves with a brush?

No idea on the bag, sorry.

Re cleaning of clubs, yeh a quick wipe down during play with your towel. (see towel fitting thread) then after most rounds i clean my clubs with soapy water and a car detailing brush.