A hole in one! And another! And there! And more!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow - it was an ace-fest at the Par 3 comp last night, really great to watch. I mean how about it - Jack, Arnold and Player in a 3 ball to match all 3 balls. Its just great to see them still knocking down the flagstick in their autumn years. Some great stuff on offer from Faldo too when he was on, and how about all those hole in ones. I know one was unofficial cos Steve Flesch junked his first into the water but quite a way to make par! Fred Couples was my favourite, zapped it in with the backspin, I hope he plays well this week. And I think alot of you will feel elated like my that Boring Sabbatini won the par 3 - thats his work done for the week hahah hate that guy :)
Alarm went off at 7.10 this morning....eyes opened and I did a little mini Tiger air punch to myself 'Masters time' I thought. Got the office to myself today so its Amen Corner live on broadband at 3.30 for me - work is off limits from then till hometime - who's going to stop me? muhahahahahaha.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If only. Even the relaxed NHS won't let me look at the live Amen Corner cast as I work(?). Still home for a quick bite an hour on the putting green and then time to snuggle into my favourite groove on the sofa cushion (Homer by name...) HID on running tea duty and Masters fest all night. Maybe a quick scan on here before bed and then a day off golfing tomorrow

Vincent

Club Champion
Visit site
I thought it was really interesting to watch them play in more relaxed surroundings, although I wasn't overly impressed with the one shot I saw from Sergio. Dunked his shot short and right straight in the pond. Hope that isn't a prelude to the next four days from him!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Sergio is one of the golfers who would let the curse of the par 3 winner get into his head. With him so desperate for that first Major I wouldnt be suprised if he'd plopped that shot into the pond on purpose just to avoid the Par 3 Hex! Fuzzy Zoeller always does, you saw shots of Justin Leonard intentionally throwing the ball in the pond with his putter flange - I think the superstition is a little bit silly but then again if I was going for a green jacket.....I'd make sure of a 7 putt on the last green ;)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
How bad was jug ears Liniker last night! He was reading from the worlds slowest que card. Does he know a thing about golf?
And the blond women who interviews players she speaks to players like dirt I hate the way she interrogates them after a bad round. She is the same one who does the Rugby, I am a member of a rugby forum who rip her to pieces nearly every day, I think this is why she has moved to golf, There have been so many complaints about her pontificating manner to players.

Right rant over. It was good to see last night but the coverage was quite awful focusing mostly on players kids instead of golf, we only got to see about 20min of real golf!

What did you guys think about Peter Aliss comment about Pontious Pilot??? He could be in some hot water over that!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was that Hazel Irving or Jill Douglas. Hazel has been around for years and involved with BBC golf for some time (has even presented a few sports events etc so could have replaced Lineker). If it is Jill Douglas, I have seen her at the rugby and agree she is awful.

She has no idea about the sport she is watching and therefore can only ask the banal questions she does. She knows nothing else. Imagine Matt Dawson interviewing someone after the rugby. He'd be wanting to know what was really going on in the rucks and would be far more inquisitive and searching

I'm sure she use to be a top table tennis player and not sure how she got into BBC sports presenting. Obviously she must have passed some form of scrren test etc but I can't see how she can justify her place at any major sporting event

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I enjoyed it as a bit of easy watching - coverage was all over the place and not as professional as normal - but it was great to see Jack, Arnold and Player playing as a 3 ball.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes Homer it is Jill Douglas, I just goggled her. Just looking at her makes my blood boil.

What you reckon about Peter Aliss comments last night? He said 2-3 things that were very bizarre. Like his comments about Pontious Pilot my Mrs found very untactful.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Missed it last night, was at the match. Any where i can see the highlights? And were can i find this live feed for amen corner?

Told the mrs tuesday that the tele box is mine till sunday night NO COMPLAINING so i will be straight home tonight, quick shower, tea on me lap, crate, munchies and a little bell hopefull just in case!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think Mr Allis is trying to develop his ranconteur act a bit. Think he wants to come across as someone like the great cricket commentators oof old (Arlott, Laker et al) but I agree it was a little tactless at best.

I have always thought he is brilliant at describing things that are going on around the course (a dog or a young kid playing in the crowd etc) when he has the pictures to work from but he struggles in the confines of a studio environment

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I think anybody who is concerned about Peter Alliss' remarks needs to accept they were said in no bad taste or done with any intent. But knowing Christians (and my family is full of them) someone will find something to groan about. Its incredible that millions of people will testify to a man turning water into wine, walking on water and returning from the dead when they didn't see it yet when a man wins 8 golf events in 9 with the other being a 2nd place and somebody mentions the grand slam they say it cannot be done.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quite enjoyed the coverage...although not so much the caddies and kids putting bit (call me a grumpy!).
I reckon I'd do worse around the par 3 course than the big mother.....How many island(-ish) greens? If I had to play it, I'd fill up my bag with 11 wedges, a PW and 2 putters....one for very fast, and one for ****** very fast.