A Great Day for Ireland

Hoganman1

Visit site
Obviously, I put this in the wrong thread. I see this is being discussed elsewhere. I've joined into that discussion.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I think one can be both. Over here across the pond some of us call ourselves African Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans etc. I consider myself to be a Scottish Irish American. I know it's probably because all Americans came from somewhere else except, of course; for Native Americans. They were actually misnamed centuries ago as "Indians" because the early explorers thought they had reached India. That being said, I realize the people of Northern Ireland are citizens of Great Britain and that one should always be aware of that distinction. I certainly meant no disrespect by referring to Rory and GMac as being "Irish".

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think one can be both. Over here across the pond some of us call ourselves African Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans etc. I consider myself to be a Scottish Irish American. I know it's probably because all Americans came from somewhere else except, of course; for Native Americans. They were actually misnamed centuries ago as "Indians" because the early explorers thought they had reached India. That being said, I realize the people of Northern Ireland are citizens of Great Britain and that one should always be aware of that distinction. I certainly meant no disrespect by referring to Rory and GMac as being "Irish".
Actually there is no such thing as being a citizen of Great Britain if one is being pedantic. A British Citizen is a term generally used for a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
But I agree with your post generally. Irish in common useage can mean either citizens of the Republic of Ireland or People from the island of Ireland just as European can mean either people from the continent of Europe or citizens of the European Union using the term Irish or European does not necessarily imply any political entity .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no disrespect in your post, don't worry 👍

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

While on this general subject, not trying to cause trouble but interested. A lot of countries make up the Americas. But those from the U.S. call themselves Americans, but the other countries by other terms. Is this something that ever comes up?
I have met a fair few people from the Americas but not the U.S. who seemed quite irritated by it.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Good point. I've thought about that before too. I guess we're the only country in the Americas with a name that doesn't work for that purpose. Let's face it. USians doesn't sound cool.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yeah, United States-ians doesn't roll off the tongue!

This whole area can be a minefield.

Enjoy The Open Championship held across the British Isles 😉🙂

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m Irish (south coast) and at home we say people from the republic are Irish and from Ireland. People from Northern Ireland are from Northern Ireland and northern Irish. It doesn’t have any political implications and is a perfectly reasonable solution for everyone. I would suggest that’s how you should take people from that part of the world.

If someone then wants to announce an affinity with Ireland or Britain it’s their choice but it would be a mistake to assume one for them