A few rounds from quitting

NearHull

Visit site
The way I read your post was that it's the contact with the ball that's causing the problems, not so much where it goes.
If that's the case, (correct me if I'm wrong) the clubhead isn't returning to the ball consistently.
That would suggest to me there is too much sideways body movement.
Do you feel you sway at all?
I had similar chipping issues, thin, fat, occasionally correct strikes. My lesson a few months ago identified that I was moving lower body all over the place when chipping. The professional gave simple advice , legs still , chip with the arms. Made all difference to me.

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't give up, be laid back about it.

Some people never break 100, can think of a couple of guys I have played with over the years that I dont think have ever broke 100, one of them is quite good at other sports. Live for the good shots, ignore the bad.

On the bad days, enjoy the walk, fresh air, company and relax.:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose it would come down to if i didn't enjoy it any more, which would prob be if my game was really really bad.

I did have a year where i could not keep the driver on the course, so found other ways to get round, but i suppose that would depend on what was going wrong.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’d call it a day....can I have your trolley😉 seriously though we’ve all been there, it,s a tricky one, it’s easy saying “ go to a pro” if you do you’ve got to be prepared to probably get worse before you get better, and you’ll need to put in plenty of hours practice, it won’t just happen overnight, but trust me it’ll be worth it, something in your swing needs changing, if you don’t want to go for lessons there’s plenty of golf apps you can get yourself, you’ll be able to see yourself what you need to change, stick at it mate....wrong time of year to quit anyway, at least give it until October 😉

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I was reading something I'd wrote for a second!!

Sounds similar except I don't have the time (or effort) to get the practice in. I've accepted that I might break 100 one week and the next 5 games will be 100+. It's frustrating, it's difficult, it's bonkers but it's golf. I've had lessons and been more confused after and at my next knock that I figured it's not worth it (for me). I can't devote enough time to correct the mistakes so just crack on.

Like many have said go see someone and see if it's something fixable, see if you can put aside enough time to implement the changes or carry on and try accept being a 100+ golfer.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hear you when you say if you’re not enjoying it then move on. I guess the question is can I get to a level where I can enjoy it again. Because it is enjoyable when I can hit the ball decent. The score is less of a concern as is the quality of strike.

Bought 4 lessons and had the first yesterday. Could see that I was taking it back to steep and having to compensate for it on the way down. And that was me striking the ball pretty well too!

I’ll stick with this stupid game for the summer, at least until I’ve had the lessons and see how they shape my game.

This game is not for perfectionists and sadly I am one!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had another *** round yesterday. Every drive topped low left. Trying the move the pro suggested and it feels so unnatural I’ve lost the feel for my iron swing. Topped three 8 irons into the steam. Duffed, bladed or shanked most chip shots. I’m a confused mess right now.

It was nice being out in the sun and I know if my strike comes back I’ll really enjoy it again. But right now I’m eding closer to that exit door.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had another *** round yesterday. Every drive topped low left. Trying the move the pro suggested and it feels so unnatural I’ve lost the feel for my iron swing. Topped three 8 irons into the steam. Duffed, bladed or shanked most chip shots. I’m a confused mess right now.

It was nice being out in the sun and I know if my strike comes back I’ll really enjoy it again. But right now I’m eding closer to that exit door.

I think you're expecting far too much far too soon. I know from experience that after a lesson your game goes to pot - it's the golf rules, especially if you haven't given it time to change.

You're expecting too much. If it was an easy fix then every high handicapper would go for a lesson and play to single figures, it's like anything you have to put time in and work hard if you want change. I haven't that time so play for fun and know I'll be a 26 handicapper for a long time until I have the time to practice.

mister v

Visit site
welcome to the club.......
You need to break the cycle of good shot bad shot, finding a pro or a low handicap golfer who can point out a few points to work on and stick to is key. we have a head pro whose a brilliant fellow and a mate of mine but i don't work well with him , hes probably a bit to technical for me, however the junior pro pointed out a couple of things to do at set up and im living the dream on the course.
I was the most miserable golfer on the planet , toys out of pram because i was so frustrated!! but as soon as i had a few lessons and stuck with the set up that worked for me im hitting it so much better.
Don't quit, just change your mindset and have a lesson

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome to the club.......
You need to break the cycle of good shot bad shot, finding a pro or a low handicap golfer who can point out a few points to work on and stick to is key. we have a head pro whose a brilliant fellow and a mate of mine but i don't work well with him , hes probably a bit to technical for me, however the junior pro pointed out a couple of things to do at set up and im living the dream on the course.
I was the most miserable golfer on the planet , toys out of pram because i was so frustrated!! but as soon as i had a few lessons and stuck with the set up that worked for me im hitting it so much better.
Don't quit, just change your mindset and have a lesson

My mate did something similar. Had lessons and got worse, played a round at his club with a low handicapper who kind of coached him round - just pointed out a couple of things. Ended up becoming good friends with this guy and they played together quite a few times and he's now playing really well and his handicap is coming down nicely. It was less technical, less lesson like and more natural plus it was whilst he was playing so it was in the right environment rather than being in a lesson and an unnatural place. May work for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many days have you spent on the range practicing what the pro told you on Wednesday?
A good question and I have to have a couple of range sessions after any lesson so I can work hard on the drills and really try and feel the changes coming into my swing so I can try to get to the first without too many swing thoughts. Doesn't always work out and there can be some dark days on the course when making changes. I simply wipe them off, go back to the drill and hitting balls and try again

U

User62651

A good question and I have to have a couple of range sessions after any lesson so I can work hard on the drills and really try and feel the changes coming into my swing so I can try to get to the first without too many swing thoughts. Doesn't always work out and there can be some dark days on the course when making changes. I simply wipe them off, go back to the drill and hitting balls and try again

What, Like this?;)

giphy.gif

Sorry, Fridays.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Trouble is it’s my whole game not just irons. Hence the frustration. The change he suggested was hands being too high at the top of the backswing. I know it’s gona take a while and practice to see if the change actually helps. But when I’m duffing chips and the club doesn’t even feel good in my hands then I think I just would have loved to leave the lesson with something that could have helped immediately, as well as something to work on in the longer term.

Anyway, I’m not saying I expected everything to work our straight away. Just in a very difficult dark place with my general game. Suppose I’m just venting cuz I haven’t played with anyone else for a long time to vent to! And it’s good to hear from others that they were in similar positions and improved.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trouble is it’s my whole game not just irons. Hence the frustration. The change he suggested was hands being too high at the top of the backswing. I know it’s gona take a while and practice to see if the change actually helps. But when I’m duffing chips and the club doesn’t even feel good in my hands then I think I just would have loved to leave the lesson with something that could have helped immediately, as well as something to work on in the longer term.

Anyway, I’m not saying I expected everything to work our straight away. Just in a very difficult dark place with my general game. Suppose I’m just venting cuz I haven’t played with anyone else for a long time to vent to! And it’s good to hear from others that they were in similar positions and improved.
We've all been there. It's so hard to break the frustration on the course and as someone that has more than his share of short game woes in the last few years, duffing what should be easy shots is a mind melt. All I can suggest is patience, constant feedback from your teaching pro (go and chat whats happening and ask for more help and a five minute look at the swing to make sure you're making the change correctly), hitting balls and trying to enjoy being on the course and don't worry about scores too much