A bit of a special day out!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get an invite from Fundy to go and play Broket Hall last Wednesday.

As you will see from the first photo it is a rather lovely and special venue and as soon as I drove down the drive I knew it was going to be a good day.

We met and had a quick coffee on the veranda before making our way to the A1 practice facilities.

I was a little let down by the pyramid of Titleist NXT Tour balls as one of them had a wet blade of grass on it... :D

After a quick warm up we made our way up the hill to the Palmerston course, a bit of a man sized test, we elected to play off the whites... I have no idea what Steve`s dad wanted to hand that advantage to his son! :rolleyes: I think it was something like 6800 yards and change.... 7060 yards off the blues!

The atmosphere of the club and Palmerston course is really lovely, surrounded by very old pine trees the course looks like it has been there forever and there are no holes you can blast... every one was a test and every one was different!

Being a bit of a day out and seemingly having the course to ourselves we stopped a few times for coffee and food at the "halfway" house that we seem to come back to rather a lot.

Steve and his dad played really well, they have very different games and it went all the way to the last... I perhaps got a bit of a lesson but did not embarrass myself and played a few really special shots through the day.

I was really blown away by the place and really really looked after!

Non of us were in this bunker but it was such a cruel trap I took a pick. What you cant see is that if you were stood in it you could not see the green and the lip overhangs about 9 inches.... NASTY.

If you ever get the chance to play this course... DO IT!

A BIG thank you!

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Looks a lovely course- sounds like a memorable day:thup:

I'd camp at that practice fairway, especially using decent balls:clap:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I could well be there on Saturday!

My prospective host was hosting his Daughter's wedding last Saturday. He had been considering resigning - not getting value - but the discount for/from the wedding more than paid for his membership!

He's also just bought a 500+yo house 6 miles from it! Just sufficient to warm his C63AMG up!

While The Palmerston is the more 'Championship' course, The Melbourne seems more interesting to me. And the shot over the water (start of the Lee River) on the last is 'memorable' too - there are several of my balls in there!

Last edited:
G

guest100718

Very Nr me, I might go and play it one day. Used to go fishing in Lemsford when I were a lad.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks like you had a cracking day - it is a lovely place

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The photos really do not illustrate how up and down hill some of these holes are! I am surprised there are not lots of people tumbling down hill or rolling buggies....

C

c1973

Looks like a lovely course, those trees would intimidate the hell outta me on the tee! Go in there you ain't coming out in a hurry. :)

michaeljpoole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played the Palmerston course last month. It really is a nice course. The greens are so tough. They slope in all directions so its hard to get a ride as its not just a general left to right per say, it may then move the other way nearer the hole. Tough

The other thing I found which i never have on a course before you really need to be able to shape a ball. There was a 550 yard par 5. You had 2 options fade it round a big tree or just hit a hybrid 220 yards to the apex of the dog leg. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me fade a ball. I tried and ended up hitting a driver dead straight, straight through the fairway.

It was mentally draining playing the course as you constantly need to be thinking about you shot. None of this take the driver and deal with the consequences later nonsense. A great course though. It was a really good day out playing there

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Glad you had a good day Alex, I played the Melbourne in March with my society and it certainly is a cracking place.

If you get the chance, pop over the A1 to Welwyn Garden City, best halfway hut in the world:)