A Bit of a Kerfuffle - Practice Putting on Greens

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A note has been issued to all members at our club reminding them that practice putting on the green just played is against the rules in a strokeplay competition and should not happen (I know it isn't). Apparently this was prompted by a complaint from a group behind the people practice putting who were prevented playing their shots (causing undue delay?).

I wondered if any clubs had anything written into their competition conditions of play to prevent this and if so whether it is legal to modify a rule to do so?

The note has since been revoked.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While not a 'Rule of Golf', it's quite legitimate for a club to have a 'Local Rule' specifically for competitions that bans practice once the hole has been completed.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't know of any clubs that have done this but they may see Model Local Rule I-2. https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/committee-procedures/8i
That local Rule is in place for the vast majority of professional tour stroke play events and is why we never see the professionals practicing on the putting green after completing the hole. Many TV viewers don't realize that the local Rule is in place and thus assume that practice on the putting green after completing the hole is against the Rules.