95% Calculation to go?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I would have expected. Someone at our club doesn't appear to be using the system correctly: it looks like we're getting an addition to our course handicaps to form a playing handicap rather than the reduction provided by 95%.
That puzzles me slightly, as for both 100% and 95% give 6 as the rounded result for those numbers.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Singles Matchplay has no deduction, each player uses the difference between their course handicaps.
Doh! Thanks. Doesn't surprise me that I screwed up there. I haven't played Singles Matchplay in years! And our 'keeper of 'caps' does all the calcs for Pairs on a phone app. I've updated my post.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Singles Matchplay has no deduction, each player uses the difference between their course handicaps.
Or to be pedantically correct…but also to consistent with how allowances are calculated across all formats, in singles matchplay the shot allowance is the difference of the Playing Handicaps with Playing Handicap being 100% of Course Handicap.

I make that, what might seem perhaps pedantic, point to those I’m playing with simply because shots given/received are ALWAYS calculated off Playing Handicap, and NEVER Course Handicap - and so when working out shots I always talk about differencing PHs - keeping CHs out of it - even when they are, in the turn out, equivalent.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or to be pedantically correct…but also to consistent with how allowances are calculated across all formats, in singles matchplay the shot allowance is the difference of the Playing Handicaps with Playing Handicap being 100% of Course Handicap.

I make that, what might seem perhaps pedantic, point to those I’m playing with simply because shots given/received are ALWAYS calculated off Playing Handicap, and NEVER Course Handicap - and so when working out shots I always talk about differencing PHs - keeping CHs out of it - even when they are, in the turn out, equivalent.

I think that's a good approach as the Playing Handicap is not always the same as the Course Handicap. If the players in a match are playing off different tees, there may be an adjustment to the Playing Handicap of one of them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we are being pedantic (but I know what you mean) it is not called Playing Handicap in singles match play

For singles match play the stroke allowance is 100% of the Course Handicap. In addition, because the players are playing from tees with different Course Ratings, the competitor playing over the higher rated course receives the difference in the CR values added to the Course Handicap after the application of the stroke allowance.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is not called Playing Handicap in singles match play
It is defined as such in Rule 6.2a
In addition, because the players are playing from tees with different Course Ratings, the competitor playing over the higher rated course receives the difference in the CR values added to the Course Handicap after the application of the stroke allowance.
6.2b(i) specifically calls it the Playing Handicap in this context.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there some sort of information board that shows a player what his unrounded CH is? Or do they have to use their phone?

I cant imagine there would be a board as it would be utterly impractical as every unique Handicap Index from 0.0 to 54.0 would result in a unique unrounded CH. You would have a CH table running to 540 rows....and that's ignoring the plus handicap indexes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If we are being pedantic (but I know what you mean) it is not called Playing Handicap in singles match play

For singles match play the stroke allowance is 100% of the Course Handicap. In addition, because the players are playing from tees with different Course Ratings, the competitor playing over the higher rated course receives the difference in the CR values added to the Course Handicap after the application of the stroke allowance.
It is

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's a mixed tee competition, there would be additional adjustments.
Sorry to bring this up again, and thanks to those who helped out when I originally asked it. I think the mixed tee angle might be the source of confusion at our club but I can't find out why so was hoping if anyone on here would know where to find the answer.

Basically we run competitions almost every Saturday and each competition has three separate sections: Men's (white tees), seniors (yellow tees) and ladies (red tees). There are individual prizes for each section and NO combined competition or element whatsoever. Is it likely or even possible that the competition could be being set up as a mixed tee comp behind the scenes due to a misunderstanding of that term and, if so, could that result in some funky goings on with handicaps? Ie my example of a 5.2 index getting a playing handicap of 7 rather than 6 (course rating 70.8, slope 1.30)?