95% Calculation to go?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The handicap system may have been referred to as the "slope system" colloquially, but the "handicap system" and "course and slope rating system" are most definitely not the same thing.
Yes, I was a bit narrow minded (focused) on the 'handicap calculation' system/method. Can't think of a better tag to describe the intersection though.

tobybarker

Visit site
At the end of the day, despite the pontifications above, the majority of players can't see a benefit from the change, didn't see anything wrong with the old system and only play on the same course day in, day out so having a portable index is meaningless to them.

I know from speaking to my members that its a classic solution looking for a problem.

I'm speaking from a normal member's perspective.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The purpose stated in the previous system handbook implied that it was intended to be portable within GB&I.

But how can any golf club member be described as normal when spending £000's knocking a little ball round an unforgiving field? ;)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the end of the day, despite the pontifications above, the majority of players can't see a benefit from the change, didn't see anything wrong with the old system and only play on the same course day in, day out so having a portable index is meaningless to them.

I know from speaking to my members that its a classic solution looking for a problem.

I know as many who complained about the old system as do about this now they understand it. Have to admit that many of our players do make a point of playing the other courses around Devon & Cornwall so that might change their perspective.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I still see the major benefit of the new system is the responsiveness to a players change in ability.

Under the old system to only way I could get to my 'current ability ' was by handicap review and even after 8 straight 0.1s in row that review had to be pushed for and pointed put that it was a required review under the rules and I got was a 1 shot increase. It also took 10 rounds effectively to go up 1 shot

Under the new system I have gone up more than a shot in just 3 rounds effectively.

Where I play we have two courses and one course is certainly a lot easier than the other and different handicaps for either course works well.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but with a handicap index of 5.2 on a course with a slope rating of 130 and a course rating of 70.8, what would you expect your playing handicap to be in an individual strokeplay competition in Scotland?

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but with a handicap index of 5.2 on a course with a slope rating of 130 and a course rating of 70.8, what would you expect your playing handicap to be in an individual strokeplay competition in Scotland?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know as many who complained about the old system as do about this now they understand it. Have to admit that many of our players do make a point of playing the other courses around Devon & Cornwall so that might change their perspective.
There IS a consistency though....there'll be folk who will complain!

wjemather

Visit site
Thanks, that's what I would have expected. Someone at our club doesn't appear to be using the system correctly: it looks like we're getting an addition to our course handicaps to form a playing handicap rather than the reduction provided by 95%.
If it's a mixed tee competition, there would be additional adjustments.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
5.2 x (130 / 113) = 5.98 x 95% = 5.68 = 6

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I would have expected. Someone at our club doesn't appear to be using the system correctly: it looks like we're getting an addition to our course handicaps to form a playing handicap rather than the reduction provided by 95%.

Does your club not have all the boards on display and do you not have a computer system to show you your handicaps (ours show H.I., C.H. and 95%).

We can also see all this info on the club's website via Intelligent Golf

I thought it is a CONGU requirement to have a computer system. One feature of which is the uploading of scores for the day at midnight.

Last edited: