6 iron launch & spin

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

One for those who are more technically minded than me.
What launch angle and spin rate would you expect from a well fitted/ suited 6 iron?

Thanks in advance

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
looking at last time I hit on a sim, was spinning at just under 6000 and launching at 16 degrees. Think the spin nummber is about right (they say 1000 per no on the iron), expect the launch maybe a little low if anything

D

Deleted member 1147

I had a fitting this afternoon with Mizuno.
With both my own club and the recommended one are at approximately 4300 revs and 14.5 degrees

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot of newer clubs do produce less spin to increase distance but launch higher to facilitate stopping on the green.
Yours don't seem to launch high enough for the lowish spin.

D

Deleted member 1147

Thanks guys, I always question what fitters/salesmen say at fittings.
Taylormade tomorrow, so we’ll see what numbers they produce.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt worry about numbers, hit it live with the ball you play and watch the ball flight.

Spoke with a guy whos worked with some of the top of the range monitors and he in effect said he'd take ball flight over spin numbers every day of the week and twice on sunday.

badger57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a fitting this afternoon with Mizuno.
With both my own club and the recommended one are at approximately 4300 revs and 14.5 degrees

Do Mizuno alter the loft on their clubs to increase distance?
So you are hitting a 5 iron not a 6 .

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
With spin numbers that low I’m thinking they where some cavity backed Game improvement clubs. What clubs?
But lots of variables. Was it a grass range? Was the grass well manicured if so? Strike? What launch moniter? Gc quad takes thousands of photos on impact. Trackman is a radar system.

I’d expect 5500 from my “traditionally lofted 30 degree 6 iron, with a slow swing speed of 86mph. I’d only get more if I swung faster.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think the loft is lower than on my cbs and ap2s.

The grass on the range was short, the balls weren’t great however.

The monitor used was trackman.

The clubs were the mmc, with kbs c taper 120, in stiff.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Only two degrees lower. They are really nice clubs, not the spin numbers that I’d expect from that club.
You should get similair to what you get now minus a few hundred revs.

If it was lower than your current clubs I’d say no thank you.
Could be the balls. Could be the grooves needed a clean.

I’d be tempted for another fitting somewhere like tour x as they are really nice!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You really can't ignore the club head speed in such numerically based considerations....and even with a constant reference speed you can find much more than 10% differential in spin rate with the ball. For example I had 1000rpm more spin with a project (a) and 7 iron than the Pro V1.

The red herring is loft. Club length (your 6 iron) -> club head speed -> launch angle/spin and carry are then a product of the ball interacting with that club head (and your personal aspects of angle of attack etc etc).

And strengthening the loft isn't always going to increase the carry for people anyway (just as increasing the loft won't necessarily increase the apex height etc etc)