5 wood or Rescue/Utility?

sbrandon

Hacker
Visit site
What's the difference between a 5 wood and a rescue club. Mine are both 20*.Im trying to decide on which club to keep in my bag, but dont know the benefits of both clubs.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a lot....but an inch or inch 1/2 on the shaft length will make a difference to the overall distance.
You have the same 20 Heavenwood as me, and I don't carry my old 19 degree 5 wood (early Big Bertha) any more. 20 degrees seems a lot of loft for a 5 wood, what is is?
I'd use the one that you feel best about......

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hybrid would be better out of the rough but I found my 5 wood slightly better off the tee and a bit longer off the fairway. I opted for the 5 wood (19 degree) and then have a 23 degree hybrid for out of the rough.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
In theory the hybrid will be a bit short distance wise, but a little easier to control because of the shorter shaft. In practice it might be just as long as the 5 wood becasue you should find it easier to hit it out of the middle.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if it's relevent but I find the rescue type clubs longer (heel to toe) and lower profile. For me, the taller face of a fairway seems to help more, especially off the tee. It may be an illusion of course. I'm probably hitting my 3 wood better than my 3 hybrid a.t.m. It seems that face height is more useful for me than face length. If I come through a bit low with the rescue it comes out the top of the face a bit too much. Got to be trial and error, I guess.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
So after the 'forum rules', and 'moderators wanted' threads, we have blatant bad language on this thread, that nobody (even those supporting the clean up!) have picked this up.

I'm not picking the individual up on this as I don't believe that I'm all that concerned by it, (I have to reserve the right to change my mind as and when my son starts reading these things!). However there are others on here that have far stronger views about this sort of thing.

So guys, if you want this site 'cleaned' up a bit I suggest that some consistancy should apply. Or no-one will know where they stand regarding this sort of behaviour. Perhaps the forum should just become 'Golf Anarchy', which would tie in quite nicely with a rowdy forum I visit from another sport.

However, 'Benny' was that really required? I'm sure that your answer will be as eloquent as ever!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haplesshacker, i think people are just so fed up with pointing it out and nothing being done about it. I for one was going to say something as i have done in most other threads but they are never edited by the poster and no one has the power to edit or delete, so really, untill mod positions are allocated why bother, it's just a wasted post!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
TonyN. I understand your sentiment. But you've probably read some of my other posts tonight regarding sexual inuendo etc.
Whilst there is little regard for 'peer presure' there would appear to be little that any of us can do regarding rogue users. But again, where is the line drawn? Homer talking of doing something with strippers, or Benny just saying (well you know!). I suspect that few on here would ever crititise Homer, but Benny is another matter. Again I am not 'picking' on these individuals, just using recent posts as examples of well 'confusion', double standards, or just blantant hypocrocy.

Yet another perfectly good thread ruined, (hijacked), or otherwise distracted from the original question. How many 'decent' users are going to disappear and not answer genuine questions like the original post because of each post resorting to bad language or inappropiate language?

Sorry, just getting rather fed up with this tonight!! :mad:

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
On topic.
I have a 5 wood and a hybrid. I just cannot get on with the hybrid on the course although I do have some success down the range. I tend not to use it during a round.

Off topic.
Benny, you really are becoming a very tiresome individual. If resorting to expletives is the best contribution you can make to a thread then don't bother at all. I strongly suspect that your days on this forum may be numbered if you continue with your attempts of wit.
My son reads this forum and has commented on your tasteless posts. To be honest it's getting embarrasing having to tell him to ignore your posts. You have had several requests to delete your posts which you blatantly refuse to do so.
Why do you have to be so ignorant?
Come on mate, remove the pointless post please.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did sit here wondering if there where any other forums i could use, but thought they would probably be the same. I will stick it out here untill the mod plods are introduced and see how it goes.

Where do you draw the line? Bad language is bang out of order, sexual inuendoes i dont have a problem with as most youths wouldnt understand it, and if they did, there proabably old enough to be at it themselves(making inuendoes that is)

I am all for banter, a laugh and the odd debate but when it becomes insulting or just plain rude... am out!

Sorry to go off topic, hope this thread continues in the right direction because its the same as one i started a few months ago and i am very keen to see some new perspective on it!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
off thread

I'm sure the benny person has the brain of an ant and cannot type without the equivalent of an expletive dropping from his gob. Or he's doing it to wind us up. So my suggestion is, rather than respond each time he does it - which is what he, like every attention seeker, wants - is to prefix any genuine post with a simple "byaa" (benny, you're an ant).

Cheers folks

By the way, byaa

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm sorry if my innuendo was deemed offensive by some. I did try and make it as tongue in cheek as possible and not as blatant as it could have been.

Many of those who know me will know that I will call it how I see it on every subject posted here but in most cases will try and find a viewpoint from both sides of any given coin and be as subjective with my opinions as possible.

I rarely enter into thread wars unless severely provoked but have to say that Benny managed to hit the right point. I said my piece on a thread earlier in the week and don't feel the need to repeat it but won't be entering into any further discussion on here with him.

Anyway sincere apologies if my comment re the strippers was amiss. Your points have been duely noted

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 5 wood and rescue club both at 19 degree, I hit the 5 wood about 220 and rescue 200, I prefer to use the 5 wood from tee and rescue fairway. Also use my 5 wood around the green.