4BBB Question

salfordlad

Visit site
I'm completely with you on all of that, especially as you say "I can see no rule ......" It was just that I thought you were citing the specific situation of a hole having been decided as applicable to the one under discussion. He can play on because nothing says that he can't. :cool:
My earlier wording was loose, I only meant the individual player was out of the hole. And Crazyface is doing nothing wrong by throwing a ball down and playing out in singles golf, or in partner golf providing it does not assist any partner.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and so if I was the one of a pair still ‘in the hole‘ and my partner ‘out the hole‘ played before me, I could not ask my partner what club he played, or indeed for any advice whatsoever on the shot i am about to play given what happened with his shot having already played. If he’d still been ‘in the hole‘ then of course I could.

Indeed I am thinking that were my partner to chuck a ball down anywhere near mine or at a similar distance to go as I had, and he then played before me…even although no words subsequently passed between us our opponents could claim that my partner was assisting me and so claim the hole? In fact it seems that were my partner to play before me regardless, then that could be deemed assistance.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
…and so if I was the one of a pair still ‘in the hole‘ and my partner ‘out the hole‘ played before me, I could not ask my partner what club he played, or indeed for any advice whatsoever on the shot i am about to play given what happened with his shot having already played. If he’d still been ‘in the hole‘ then of course I could.

Indeed I am thinking that were my partner to chuck a ball down anywhere near mine or at a similar distance to go as I had, and he then played before me…even although no words subsequently passed between us our opponents could claim that my partner was assisting me and so claim the hole? In fact it seems that were my partner to play before me regardless, then that could be deemed assistance.
I doubt it if he was playing from a bunker and you intended to play from a PA on the other side of the fairway ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I doubt it if he was playing from a bunker and you intended to play from a PA on the other side of the fairway ;)
Agreed but your example is an extreme…and most scenarios won’t be like that. Besides…if he plays out of a bunker and my shot then lands in a bunker, then he can’t advise on how the sand is playing…yes I know...?

I am really just thinking of the principle as that is where many, if not most, rules sit.

salfordlad

Visit site

IMO that would not be sufficient to penalise for assistance - there would need to be a smoking gun. And merely playing a thrown down ball before the partner would not get remotely close without evidence of assistance.