4 Club Challenge

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Going on a golfing weekend on Friday to St Pierre in Wales. We're playing 4 rounds and the first, on Friday, is a 4 Club Challenge.

At the moment I am torn as what to take. I am hitting the driver really well at the moment and the guys I'm going with (only 4 of us in total) aren't the longest off the tee. However if you work on the assumption that a putter is a must and probably something lofted as there is a fair amount of sand I will only have one club left to pick.

I was thinking that maybe I should stick the driver back in the bag and go for a 3 wood which can be used off the tee and off the deck. I don't hit the 3 wood badly just not as confident off the tee with it. This would then mean that I can take something like a 7 iron, PW and a putter.

What clubs would you guys go for?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a fan of hybrids - I've got a 21 deg and an 18 deg, and the 18 deg hybrid works very well for me. I'd go hybrid, 7, pw and putter!

Oddly enough that is my other plan as I have a 17 deg hybrid which works pretty well and (on balance) is probably more reliable off the tee than the 3 wood.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
do a search on here, loads of thread about 3 club/4 club challenges and about a zillion different answers, so best take your fav clubs and use common sense for the distances.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
1 iron, SI, 8iron, 4 iron

see, told you there would be a zillion answers, best stick with post #4

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
18 Degree hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9iron. Putt with the hybrid.

Did this exact thing recently when we had a 5 club charity day only difference is I took the driver as well for luxury.

We've got another 5 club coming up and putter is compulsory this time, so will just ditch the driver.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me it would be a 4i, 6i, 50 deg wedge & putter

The 6i is the right club for 3 of the par 3's at our place and fairly versitile. 4i off the tee and lengthy fairway shots (200 yard normal distance for me and I use it off the tee a lot on shorter par 4's and in windy conditions anyway), 50 deg full hit is approx 105 yards but I use it most times inside 100 yards unless a short chip and run which the 6i should just about cover.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it would be a 4i, 6i, 50 deg wedge & putter

The 6i is the right club for 3 of the par 3's at our place and fairly versitile. 4i off the tee and lengthy fairway shots (200 yard normal distance for me and I use it off the tee a lot on shorter par 4's and in windy conditions anyway), 50 deg full hit is approx 105 yards but I use it most times inside 100 yards unless a short chip and run which the 6i should just about cover.

Tight, shorter places like Grimsby would require a different setup to a longer more open course.

Man I miss Grimsby, is the course in good nick? How about the others in the area? I hope to play if the weather is good in November when I visit.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tight, shorter places like Grimsby would require a different setup to a longer more open course.

Man I miss Grimsby, is the course in good nick? How about the others in the area? I hope to play if the weather is good in November when I visit.

The course is looking fantastic at the moment - just how Harry Colt would have planned it. The 4 firways that were suffering last year are all lush and tidy again after extensive work through the winter months and a spurt of growing early on this year.

I wa at Kenwick last week and it was looking great - I am in a society day at your other old haunt Laceby this Friday so will see how it is playing then.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
4 clubs. Hmmm - tough.

Got to be h'cap based. If your average score is a bogey (which mine is, no doubt) I'd ditch the driver first off.

2 x 5 woods go quite a long way and would put all holes in reach in 1 over GIR. 3 wood would be nice, but probably overkill.

So, I reckon 5 wood, 6 iron, PW and putter. That would cover a nice range of distances. For me, that's like 200/150/100 all wrapped up.

I'm going to try it!