4 Ball Better Ball

CliveM

Visit site
Our weekend competition saw a card returned with all scores in column A. It was therefore impossible to tell who scored on each hole, however, the card they marked did show this information. I can't find anywhere if this a DQ offence, anyone able to assist?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a DQ I'm afraid Rule 23.2b includes: "Each score on the scorecard must be clearly identified as the score of the individual partner who made it; if this is not done, the side is disqualified."

NearHull

Visit site
I fell foul of this rule many years ago. My partner and I both held the same handicap and we naively entered all scores in one column. My first DQ ( but not my last).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our weekend competition saw a card returned with all scores in column A. It was therefore impossible to tell who scored on each hole, however, the card they marked did show this information. I can't find anywhere if this a DQ offence, anyone able to assist?
I’m being a bit dim, but if the best score of the pair is entered in column A and so as you say it is not possible to see which player contributed the score, how is it that the card they marked did show this information. The one card can’t do both.

I‘m thinking that the marker for the pair did the Col A mistake, but the pair themselves kept a record of both their scores when marking the other pairs card. If that’s the case why did they not get their card updated before submitting it to reflect their own record and so show who contributed on each hole.

Clearly they didn’t so as others suggest seems a DQ could be in order, but seems avoidable as they must have spotted the mistake when checking their card.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m being a bit dim, but if the best score of the pair is entered in column A and so as you say it is not possible to see which player contributed the score, how is it that the card they marked did show this information. The one card can’t do both.

I‘m thinking that the marker for the pair did the Col A mistake, but the pair themselves kept a record of both their scores when marking the other pairs card. If that’s the case why did they not get their card updated before submitting it to reflect their own record and so show who contributed on each hole.

Clearly they didn’t so as others suggest seems a DQ could be in order, but seems avoidable as they must have spotted the mistake when checking their card.
I understand it the same way, I always initial who scored for my pair in the markers column when I am marking a card,
I just guess they were pretty lax when checking the card, matched scores and thought all is ok, I am not
saying this is the reason but I always think this sort of mistake is more likely to happen when people mark their cards prior to playing.

Swango1980

Visit site

A chap who marked our card in a Pairs Open a few weeks ago did this very thing. He was told by the organisers to ONLY put the score of the player who scores on each hole, and he confused this by thinking all the scores go into Column A. When he gave the card back after the round, I immediately identified the error.

And, last weekend, the guy who marked our card put several scores in the wrong column. As he was told, again, to only put the counting score on each hole, he did so. However, he obviously got lost at some points, and just put the score in the same column as the last few holes, without really checking. That mistake was harder to identify, as scores were still in different columns, just the wrong ones sometimes. So, it didn't jump out as quickly.

It is why I'm not a fan of organisers saying to only put one score in each hole. It is easier not to get mixed up if you are putting both scores in each time (and I guess that will become necessary if the rules are ever changed to allow these for handicap)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A chap who marked our card in a Pairs Open a few weeks ago did this very thing. He was told by the organisers to ONLY put the score of the player who scores on each hole, and he confused this by thinking all the scores go into Column A. When he gave the card back after the round, I immediately identified the error.

And, last weekend, the guy who marked our card put several scores in the wrong column. As he was told, again, to only put the counting score on each hole, he did so. However, he obviously got lost at some points, and just put the score in the same column as the last few holes, without really checking. That mistake was harder to identify, as scores were still in different columns, just the wrong ones sometimes. So, it didn't jump out as quickly.

It is why I'm not a fan of organisers saying to only put one score in each hole. It is easier not to get mixed up if you are putting both scores in each time (and I guess that will become necessary if the rules are ever changed to allow these for handicap)
Yeah that's what I'd probably do. Just write down both of their scores and circle or underline which one is lower each time.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good job I read this thread as myself and Golfmmad are playing a 4 ball better ball next week and I thought whoever has the best score on any hole you just put that down.

I might be misunderstanding something but why does it matter to put both your scores down when only the best score counts.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good job I read this thread as myself and Golfmmad are playing a 4 ball better ball next week and I thought whoever has the best score on any hole you just put that down.

I might be misunderstanding something but why does it matter to put both your scores down when only the best score counts.
I'd guess because if you have different handicaps it's easier to spot if it's simply a 4 or 4-nett-3 for example. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You don't put both scores down but you need to be able to clearly show who scored what on each hole. In your case, you could be player A, Golfmad would be player B. If you get a 4 on hole 1, Golfmad gets a 6, same handicaps for arguments sake, you would mark 4 in the A column, don't bother doing anything in B.

Work your way through all 18 holes like this. It means that the card can be clearly checked after the round, to confirm correct scoring, stableford points......