3rd Best Player Ever

D

Deleted member 18588

All these players played with different levels of equipment and on different courses - was it harder to win back in those days ?

A very valid point and leads to the answer to this type of question that no player can be truly called the Greatest Of All Time.

It's only possible to judge who is the best of his own time.

D

Deleted member 16999

As an aside to who was the greatest etc, we recently commemorated the 100th Anniversary of the death of our former pro Michael Moran who was killed in WW1.

One of the photographs we came across was a picture of Moran with 2 other golfers playing an exhibition match at Seaham GC in 1914 after the official opening of the new clubhouse.

The 2 other golfers were, George Duncan (who went on to win The Open in 1920) and James Douglas Edgar, the man who is credited with mentoring and teaching Bobby Jones how to play golf.

Duncan was a Scot and Edgar a Geordie, both had won the French Open in 1913 and 1914 respectively.

Edgar was found shot on a street in New Orleans, he’d been shot in the groin and his murder was never solved, it was believed he had been shot by a jealous husband.

After his death he was described as the best golfer of his generation and had been expected to go on to great things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Douglas_Edgar

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ben Hogan, although I'd like to say Tom Watson he's not even in the same league as Hogan. Hogan's record, with a world war in the middle, is a fantastic record of wins, especially 1946/7/8? But for an horrific car accident in 1949, what would he have gone on to achieve?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ben Hogan, although I'd like to say Tom Watson he's not even in the same league as Hogan. Hogan's record, with a world war in the middle, is a fantastic record of wins, especially 1946/7/8? But for an horrific car accident in 1949, what would he have gone on to achieve?

:thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most successful or best? - for me the best golf swing remains that of Ben Hogan - truly a thing of great elegance and beauty. Nothing else compares.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Most successful or best? - for me the best golf swing remains that of Ben Hogan - truly a thing of great elegance and beauty. Nothing else compares.

In this instance, surely we best successful. If not the. It wouldn’t be third behind the two mentioned. As neither imo have the best looking swings.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whether Nicklaus and Woods were the best two is open to debate.

Too many contenders for the top three over different periods to compare. There is a tendency in all such lists to go from what you know and so older players get forgotten. From what I have read over the years all of the following could be in with a shout in addition to the two mentioned:

Young Tom Morris
Harry Vardon
Bobby Jones
Ben Hogan
Byron Nelson
Gary Player
Tom Watson

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whether Nicklaus and Woods were the best two is open to debate.

Too many contenders for the top three over different periods to compare. There is a tendency in all such lists to go from what you know and so older players get forgotten. From what I have read over the years all of the following could be in with a shout in addition to the two mentioned:

Young Tom Morris
Harry Vardon
Bobby Jones
Ben Hogan
Byron Nelson
Gary Player
Tom Watson

I tend to see the complete opposite with people letting nostalgia rule them. Generally during the woods/Nicklaus debate people claim woods faced an easier field and harp back to the legends of the game. Doing a disservice to some of the players such as els, Singh and Mickelson imo.

A think that whilst cases can be made for some of the players you mention. Most would settle on the top 2 mentioned. I got into golf after all of those above had finished but from what I’ve seen or read Bobby Jones seems the stand out for results.

D

Deleted member 23270

Obviously the only candidate is Gary Player. He tells people at every opportunity that he had to work harder because everyone else was bigger and stronger than him and he had to travel zillions of miles all over the world and sleep on beaches etc etc.

If he had been on an equal footing he would have won 50 majors :whistle:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
No, possibly the best ball striker ever but couldn't control his nerves so didn't win as many events as his talent warrantt.

Did he have a problem with his nerves?

Only recently came across him but from what I gleaned is that he was most probably on the autism spectrum so stayed in Canada. He could have done a lot more without that, or if he had been from the USA and just stayed there.

I think it's a really good question, I don't think you can take wins or majors too much into account especially when talking about the older guys. If you were European you wouldn't get the opportunities to play in the USA very often and vice versa.

From what I have read, because obviously I wasn't around Bobby Jones was head and shoulders above everybody at the time. Harry Vardon was also sensational and had it not been for illness would have notched up many more wins.

In the modern era.

Seve was possible the most naturally gifted shot maker
Mickelson also a gifted shot maker and still picked up a fair few majors in a tough period
Faldo - just sheer determination to win, super competitive and successful
Monty - getting some laughs on here but his tour record is insane, the level of consistency for so long I don't think will ever be matched, had those couple of close calls gone the other way and he had won one or two majors he would be talked about a lot more.
Els - I just loved his swing in the early days, picked up a few majors during Woods' dominant era, horrible injury to his knee and then the yips

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Douglas Bader. No legs, rubbish equipment, played on golf courses cut by sheep, and still played to a single figure h/cap. Something I am failing at miserably.

D

Deleted member 1147

Kim Jong-Il - actually, he was probably the best ever if you believe his scores :thup:

Closely followed by Donald Trump