30 vs 60 minute lessons

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s probably personal preference but since the trend seems to be 30 minute lessons, are there advantages or disadvantages of having 60 minute lessons instead of 30 minutes?

DCB

Visit site
A lot will depend on how you take in the info presented during a lesson. If it gets technical, a shorter lesson may be better so you can concentrate properly. A longer lesson may not reap rewards as you can't take everything in.

A lot depends on the Pro and how he gets things over to you.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So many variables. If you are focusing on one thing ,say, the driver 30 minutes will be plenty as you would also be knackered after an hour. Short game, half an hour not enough. Suppose I'm trying to say fit the duration to the work you are planning to do.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 hour may be too much to take in. Even if you split the lesson into 2 halves will you clearly remember what was said in the first half?

You get tired hitting balls constantly so the quality will decline as the lesson goes on. 30 minutes is right for me.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best lessons I've ever had lasted longer than an hour, but as said above it depends on you, your coach, what you're working on...

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I booked two 60m sessions (groupon again 🙄) simply because the pga guy is almost an hour away from where I live. Suppose I won’t know what works best for me until I go.
I guess I’ll try split it up so it’s 30m driver/irons/chipping/putting. Hopefully make it easier to remember stuff!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I booked two 60m sessions (groupon again 🙄) simply because the pga guy is almost an hour away from where I live. Suppose I won’t know what works best for me until I go.
I guess I’ll try split it up so it’s 30m driver/irons/chipping/putting. Hopefully make it easier to remember stuff!

If it's Groupon how sure are you that there won't be a group of you? If thats the case you may not be able to dictate what's worked on.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's Groupon how sure are you that there won't be a group of you? If thats the case you may not be able to dictate what's worked on.

It does say individual lessons, and there’s nothing in the small print to say there has to be a minimum of x people. In saying that, it still wouldn’t surprise me!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 45 minute lessons. Usually spend the first 10 hitting a few and taking about how my game is at the time. Then the next 10 working on a change or two and explaining what the changes will do and why we want them. Then the next 25 is working on the changes under the eye of the pro. Giving feedback on what worked, what didn't and why. He will also through in a few drills in the last 25 to use when I am working on the stuff myself. This way if I start blocking some for example I know why that is and how to fix it. It also lets me know that if that happens I am not necessarily doing the changes wrong it could just be a matter of timing etc.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it stands to reason the longer you can work with someone the better.

If you have a hour, 2 hour or all day lesson. The longer you can work the coach can put you into the correct places or give you more ideas to work towards a better overall movement.

No doubt a half hour lesson can get someone out of their current funk or move them along towards a better swing but the longer you can spend around a coach the more you are likely to pick up.

Maybe those new to the game can get away with a quick lesson and have to go away to make things feel natural like a big grip change. Bob has said before he finds those who have played for years the hardest to change as they are so ingrained. Is that right? surely him standing beating them with a stick for longer would be better than a quick 30 min session.

This was obvious during Homer's lesson. Paul Fostin was pulling his hair out trying to get homer to stop overswinging.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
My hour long lessons fly by and i'm always left wanting longer in there.
They use video and trackman, i could easily spend a good few hours trying different things! Visually seeing what i'm actually doing v what i think i'm doing definitely helps me. The breaks also mean i'm not tired at all by the end of the hour.
If it was just a pro watching me in an 'old school' lesson i can see the appeal of 30 mins.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My hour long lessons fly by and i'm always left wanting longer in there.
They use video and trackman, i could easily spend a good few hours trying different things! Visually seeing what i'm actually doing v what i think i'm doing definitely helps me. The breaks also mean i'm not tired at all by the end of the hour.
If it was just a pro watching me in an 'old school' lesson i can see the appeal of 30 mins.

You make a lot of sense. My last and only tuition so far used video analysis briefly and it was definitely helpful seeing your own swing.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have 45 minute lessons. Usually spend the first 10 hitting a few and taking about how my game is at the time. Then the next 10 working on a change or two and explaining what the changes will do and why we want them. Then the next 25 is working on the changes under the eye of the pro. Giving feedback on what worked, what didn't and why. He will also through in a few drills in the last 25 to use when I am working on the stuff myself. This way if I start blocking some for example I know why that is and how to fix it. It also lets me know that if that happens I am not necessarily doing the changes wrong it could just be a matter of timing etc.

I think 45 mins is about the best length. With 30 too short and an hour too long. I've had both and 30 minutes flies by whereas the last 15-20 minutes or so of the hour is often the pro watching you trying to master the new move or idea you're working on.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The lessons I have are 45 mins long. Personally, this is enough for me as start to forget what we worked on at the start of the lesson after that. 30 mins would be my preferred length of lesson.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The lessons I have are 50 mins, but if there isn't someone else booked in after me they're often a little longer.

I think this is a good length. Even if the last 20 mins ends up being my pro watching me practice what he's told me to practice, this time is invaluable as he can tell me when I'm doing it wrong, or if I start to over-exaggerate the move, he can reign me back in a bit. It really helps me to get the feeling / drill right when I'm flying solo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like 45 minute lessons, for a big change. Enough time to have the changes explained work on the drills and the new move(s) without rushing or getting too fatigued or losing concentration. For me if it's a quick swing check to find and sort a problem after a few bad rounds and the same mistake or errors, then thirty minutes is plenty as there isn't usually too much to change.

The guy I was using for the last few years is excellent and 30 minutes usually stretches to 40 and a 45 minute one probably close to 50-55 minutes and never any clock watching or hurry

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
30 mins lessons are only real useful for kinda review & re-enforcement stuff as part of ongoing tuition series

though it suits the pro often times as simply put means he/she can see more folks thru a lesson day plus if folks bail out late on the day that only involves 30 mins of deadtime

but you really need 60 mins on the lesson tee for a decent structured learning period

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I had an hour last night, guessing the first 10 mins was warm up. Then we got stuck into my issue. Bit of time gathering data on the Flightscope and we had a fix in place within 30 mins. Then it was working with the fix/drills and checking results and chatting about what we were trying to do and how to deal with outcomes. Really great lesson, first one I have had for a long time and was worth every penny. Don't think we could have achieved the same in 30 mins.