3 wood purchase

3puttpercy

Visit site
Gentlemen
I am looking to purchase a new 3 wood, but cannot decide between a Callaway Maverick or Epic
Your guidance would be appreciated , my handicap is 18.
Thanks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reality is, lots of us buy off ebay, from online shops etc and don't have the luxury of trying both. Educated guesses are then what is needed.

Have a look at sole of both, is one flatter than the other? Will that matter to you? Will you be sweeping your shot or do you want a taller face?

Have a look at reviews, see is one is supposed to be more forgiving than the other. At 18 you want the one with most forgiveness.

If all is equal, go for the one you like the look of. That is all you can then go off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reality is, lots of us buy off ebay, from online shops etc and don't have the luxury of trying both. Educated guesses are then what is needed.

Have a look at sole of both, is one flatter than the other? Will that matter to you? Will you be sweeping your shot or do you want a taller face?

Have a look at reviews, see is one is supposed to be more forgiving than the other. At 18 you want the one with most forgiveness.

If all is equal, go for the one you like the look of. That is all you can then go off.
Try them both, only you can decide.
Both of these. I've bought clubs before from reading and watching reviews and becoming convinced that they're right for me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if you're completely torn between two then the only way is to hit both and find out which one feels better.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me, the 3 wood is the hardest club to hit consistently off the deck. So, best to try a few if you can.
Consider a 4 or 5 wood also. Easier to hit and may even go further if you can launch it better.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As above do you use a 5 wood? it’s a easy club to use off the fairway a 3 wood is much harder, I purchased a high loft 3 wood and I find that a lot easier off the fairway than my old 3 wood, so whatever club you choose I would recommend trying a high loft 3 wood.

D

Deleted member 1147

Can you swing?
If not, have thought of trying Ping?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
My finger-in-the-wind answer would be to look at a 5-wood - what do you want the 3-wood for?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
I bought an epic 5 wood off the Callaway refurbished web site. A great bargain as was brand new. Then changed loft to a 4 wood and boy does it fly much better than a 3 wood. So much easier to hit oddly. And then bought a an epic 9 wood from same place another bargain brand new for £120. Looking at an epic driver now as they seem v v easy clubs to hot and go miles.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Changed my Adams for a Cobra Bio Cell last year. Love it. just buy and sell off e bay until the right one turns up is one way of doing things.