3 wood mystery!

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
For some reason the last few rounds i have played , my 3 wood seems to be flying straight right , with a fade. It's the only club it's happening with and i can't seem to get my head round it. I'm usually pretty good at working these things out.

My driving has been excellent, and my irons are as good as they've been since last summer.

Normally my 3 wood shot is straight, with a very slight fade. I'm beginning to wonder if the shaft is possibly slightly too stiff for me? Or if it's just become a mental thing.

Maybe it's the ball position, i play my driver off the left toe and the 3 wood more inside left heel. To be honest, i'm still getting used to modern fairway woods, it's the first one i've owned in a long time after plugging away with my beloved 1 iron since i came back to the game.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect it's a mental thing.
When someone tries not to hit it right, he/she tends to pull the club away from the left side on the downswing, therefor cutting accross the ball, spinning it more to the right.
If you were hitting it straight before, it's unlikely to be the shaft.
Get down the range and try and swing straight down the line and see if that helps with the slice.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but starting right and fading can be a perfect swing path (straight at the target) with a slightly open face.

I'm just wondering since your 3 wood is the only Nike club in the bag (from your sig) if it maybe sits differently at address and you're holding it slightly open before you swing?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm always very conscious of my swing path, and i know i'm not coming in to out. I also know i'm swinging the club as well as i have done in a long time, that's why i'm so perplexed by this.

Interesting point about the Nike. I think it's a club aimed at the better player so it may well have a slightly open face. I'll check it out

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never tried it, but in theory you should be able to blue tak a tee to the face so you (or a friend down the line behind you) can see where the face is really pointing when you think it's square.