3 Wood advice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you go down the adjustable route - as a thought - what is out there (haven't looked and don't really know) and is it possible to tweak it to a strong 3W and as far ans a strong 5W (but stronger than a conventional 4W loft). If so surely that's a possibility and gives you options regarding the course you're playing and the conditions (wind etc)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe a 3 wood that lets you adjust the loft up to 16 or so? That should open the face a bit. I just went 5 wood and adjusted it down to 16.5.....I've a lot more use for that club than a 3 wood.
I think increasing the loft on an adjustable loft actually closes the faces slightly, not opens it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is certainly easier to hook a 3 wood than a Driver due to the additional loft.
This is wrong isn't it? I thought people normally say more loft the less side-axis spin you'll get. That's people people who struggle with driver often loft up or hit 3 wood instead.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think increasing the loft on an adjustable loft actually closes the faces slightly, not opens it.
You are correct.
Loft up = closed face, loft down = open
G410 has "flat" settings so you can raise the 3w from 14.5 to 15.5 and put it in the flat setting to offset the face closure.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're going right with your driver and left with your fairway, I'd be looking at delivery rather than the shaft - I only say this as I found this out during my recent fitting. I suffer from the lefts with everything bar driver - what it was I was delivering the driver face open at impact causing a fade. As far as shafts, I like a light feeling shaft rather than a heavy one, albeit stiffer. Turned out my preference translated in the numbers as well. As Obi One said, trust your feelings.

bradleywedge

Visit site
I have the Cobra F9 you are referring to. You didn't say whether your problems were off the tee or the fairway. I am still trying to master it off the fairway to be honest, off the tee I hit it OK. It's a nice forgiving club and even the mishits travel a fair way, I certainly wouldn't put anyone off buying one. I found it was my stance and ball position on the fairway which was causing me to top it quite a bit. I was trying to hit it like a driver, so changed my stance. Still a bit hit and miss with it but think that's down to my ability rather than the club. It's a club that may only get used 2 or 3 times a round by me anyway, so I probably need more practice with it.