3 Wood advice

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi All,
Currently using a TM M4 3 wood as it matches my driver. I hit the driver great but not the 3 wood. My bad shot is a hook but with the 3 wood I’m nervous to ever use it as I’ve literally got no idea where it will go. Thinking of selling it and purchasing another 3 wood and wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I’ve seen the Cobra F9 and it looks very nice. My M4 appears to have a closed face at address and is very off putting for me

D

Deleted Member 1156

Do you have the same shaft in both clubs? Maybe a stronger shaft in the 3 wood might reduce the hook a bit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what your handicap is, but if you don't want one that looks closed then maybe you need to go for the tour version of whatever wood you look at (i.e. there's a Cobra F9 Tour). The forgiving versions tend to be a bit draw-biased don't they? Or get one with an adjustable sole plate or weights so you can fade bias it a little bit?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All,
Currently using a TM M4 3 wood as it matches my driver. I hit the driver great but not the 3 wood. My bad shot is a hook but with the 3 wood I’m nervous to ever use it as I’ve literally got no idea where it will go. Thinking of selling it and purchasing another 3 wood and wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I’ve seen the Cobra F9 and it looks very nice. My M4 appears to have a closed face at address and is very off putting for me

Buy a 5 wood, much easier to hit than a 3 wood.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather than second guess yourself if I was the OP I'd get a good player or a pro to have a look at your swing with a three wood and the club and see if a) it is closed or b) you are doing something with the club and your swing to produce the left shot. Surely a cheaper option and if it is an easy fix then you still have the 3 wood to match your driver which your post implies was something you liked

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, handicap is 5 and it’s the same shaft as the driver. I’ve already been looking at new 3 woods and a new 2 iron so just looking is the beginning of the end ?

Chico84

Visit site
Cheers for the replies, handicap is 5 and it’s the same shaft as the driver. I’ve already been looking at new 3 woods and a new 2 iron so just looking is the beginning of the end ?

Sounds like you’ve already decided you need a new club :)

I’ve got a SIM Max 3 wood and I honestly think it’s brilliant. Given your shot shape you may want to look at the regular SIM fairway but it is very pricey.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

I'd have a look at your grip first. Likely a strong grip shutting down the face.

Mandofred

Visit site
Maybe a 3 wood that lets you adjust the loft up to 16 or so? That should open the face a bit. I just went 5 wood and adjusted it down to 16.5.....I've a lot more use for that club than a 3 wood.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t get on with drivers, l’m currently playing with a 14* deep 3 wood as my tee club and 17* 4 wood from the fairway, working well so far.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
might just be one of those things, i've a mate off Scratch who doesn't have a 3 wood, tried all makes and none he can get on with, he's given up with them now and just makes do without one

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Buy a 5 wood, much easier to hit than a 3 wood.
Or a 4w! I've always hit FWs pretty well (longer irons less so these days:cry:), so, having acquired 2 Adams 15* FWs, I adjusted one down and one up to create 2 and 4Ws. Similar distance in still air, but give sufficintly different options both are worth having in the bag.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have an M4 3Wood but with a different shaft to my M4 Driver. I play off the same handicap as you do and really like the club. However, I bought an M5 5 wood during lockdown and I hit it as far as the 3 wood much to my surprise as it was bought to replace a hybrid when necessary.

One thought - sorry if it's obvious - but when i had one of my clubs regripped they set the new grip slightly open regarding the lines / logo. I worked it out bur still couldnt set the club right so had to have it removed and put on properly.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It is certainly easier to hook a 3 wood than a Driver due to the additional loft.

My miss with a 3 wood is usually left, but my Driver miss is almost always right.

I don't think you're going to like my answer, but it's probably a case of needing to find a more neutral swing path with your 3 wood. You can mess about with clubs all you like, but there's no substitute for being able to control the club through impact.

Also - possible that you feel under pressure hitting the 3 wood and the grip tightens a bit. Try pro-actively loosening your grip, especially with your left hand.

(assuming you're a righty).

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have you thought about a 17 degree hybrid instead of a 3-wood. I struggle to hit my 3-wood consistently and I am more confident with the hybrid (I've got a Nike Covert 2 - 2-hybrid). Distance wise there's not much in it.