3 wood/3+ wood

FELL75

Visit site
Apologies if this subject has been posted, but search function brings alot back on '3 wood' and 'strong'!

My 15 degree 3 wood going nicely but losing crucial yards. Driver travels well, but not as accurate. Looking at a strong 3 wood but most come with a stiff shaft, my swing speed is fitted for regular. Had a test of a few 3+ woods at the range but all had stiff shafts so could really gauge them. Will the 1.5 degree loft make the difference I'm looking for?

Thanks for any replies.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not as much as you might think if my experience is anything to go by..
On a like-for-like strike you may get 4 or 5 yards more carry and, maybe, the same in extra roll but the proportion of good strikes will likely diminish due to less loft..so, on average, you don't gain much if anything.
I've been there...inaccurate driver, decent 3 wood...can I get more from a 3+?
Must have tried it 5 or 6 times in the last 20 years and, in the end, it never really worked.
Even tried a 12° Callaway Mini Driver......didn't work for me
I've found a driver that I'm accurate enough with and I'm staying put.
Maybe get a driver lesson to see why you're wild with it....

FELL75

Visit site
Not as much as you might think if my experience is anything to go by..
On a like-for-like strike you may get 4 or 5 yards more carry and, maybe, the same in extra roll but the proportion of good strikes will likely diminish due to less loft..so, on average, you don't gain much if anything.
I've been there...inaccurate driver, decent 3 wood...can I get more from a 3+?
Must have tried it 5 or 6 times in the last 20 years and, in the end, it never really worked.
Even tried a 12° Callaway Mini Driver......didn't work for me
I've found a driver that I'm accurate enough with and I'm staying put.
Maybe get a driver lesson to see why you're wild with it....
Thanks, Imurg. Was pondering the the mini driver! Might just sit tight and work on the driver. Thanks for answering ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I had a 3+ wood and hated it so dropped to a 16° fixed loft rogue which is stupidly long and recently bought the driver

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might be the outlier but…
…Struggled with driver for years, so relied on a 15 degree 3w off the tee exclusively and treaded water really. Put driver in now and again but it did more harm than good, bad misses were really bad and inevitably incurred penalties from OOB. So, at the start of the year I got hold of a Mavrik Max 3+ (13.5 loft) and it’s transformed my tee game. Down to career lowest hcp (10.9) and that is largely down to improvements off the tee. The 13.5 loft works for me, can balloon the occasional one but for the most part it’s a nice penetrating flight. Give it a try!

FELL75

Visit site
I might be the outlier but…
…Struggled with driver for years, so relied on a 15 degree 3w off the tee exclusively and treaded water really. Put driver in now and again but it did more harm than good, bad misses were really bad and inevitably incurred penalties from OOB. So, at the start of the year I got hold of a Mavrik Max 3+ (13.5 loft) and it’s transformed my tee game. Down to career lowest hcp (10.9) and that is largely down to improvements off the tee. The 13.5 loft works for me, can balloon the occasional one but for the most part it’s a nice penetrating flight. Give it a try!
Thanks, tsped83. There's always that itch to 'try' a club. Get the idea out of your system almost. If I found one with a regular flex shaft it would be tempting!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carried a TaylorMade Firesole 13 degree 3 wood for years because it did everything I wanted it to do.

These days If wanted to try less loft I would just buy an adjustable wood. (which I actually did but not for adjustability just to go from 16.5 to 14.5).

The other advantage of adjustable clubs is that it easy to try other shafts. I bought regular in one make and the fitter was suggesting either that or stiff in another make. I bought the stiff he was suggesting cheap off ebay and that is now what is in the club.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why not go for one with adjustable loft. I've a mizuno jpx 850 that's a few years old now, turned down to 14, easy to hit off the deck and a tee. I think it can go down to 13 or up to 17. I'd imagine they could be picked up cheaply and came with a speeder shaft as stock

Jason.H

Visit site
If your swing speed is suited to a regular shaft then less loft will possibly mean less carry. Into the wind lower flight is better but wind behind it’s nice to hit a higher flight. I have a high launch TM 16.5 but then I don’t have an issue with the driver. I,d consider sorting the driver issues first. My playing partner off 12 regularly takes his driver out the bag but then struggles to hit his fairway woods so his swing issues are still there.

FELL75

Visit site
An update on my OP. Having looked second hand clubs on eBay/Golfbidder/clubs4cash etc. it was a case of not quite fitting the bill. Either wrong shaft flex, poor condition, over the top pricing. Decided to go for look and demo at a local club. Had a chat with one of the pro shop staff and explained my 3 wood/3+ wood dilemma. Had a fitting there and then on the range and tried the following adjustable 3 woods: Ping G425 Max, Titleist TSI 1, Cobra LS and Cobra LTDx. Started off looking at the trackman data at 15 degrees and then dropped the lofts down to 13.5. The results at 13.5 seemed fairly consistent to my eye, but the trackman data seemed a little more clearcut. The trajectory was lower and the the extra yardage convinced me that a 3+ would work for me. Fortunately, they had one in stock so I got it there and then. Look forward to using it in anger this weekend :)

Would like to say thanks to those that replied to my original post, I feel like I got there in the end. (y)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one mate, which model was it you went for in the end? The stereotypical approach of “more loft is your friend” does not always apply to us mere mortals! ?