3 Clubs and a putter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This a question I have often been asked at the club where I play (we have one on Monday).

"Why are you asking me? I have never come close to winning one" is always my reply.

The trouble at our club is that are always run as a Stableford comp, if they were run as medal I might stand a chance.

I have tried 3 wood,mid iron wedge , driver mid iron wedge without success.

This year I am going to give 19 hybrid, 6 iron, 50 wedge a try. Worked well for my playing partners last time and we are similar handicaps

Yogidog1

Visit site
This a question I have often been asked at the club where I play (we have one on Monday).

"Why are you asking me? I have never come close to winning one" is always my reply.

The trouble at our club is that are always run as a Stableford comp, if they were run as medal I might stand a chance.

I have tried 3 wood,mid iron wedge , driver mid iron wedge without success.

This year I am going to give 19 hybrid, 6 iron, 50 wedge a try. Worked well for my playing partners last time and we are similar handicaps

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd say very course dependant. On mine I'd go 3 wood, 8 iron, gap wedge. On shorter courses I'd maybe go 3hybrid, and on longer probably put Driver & 6 iron in there

NearHull

Visit site
I organised a "3 Clubs and a putter" comp in 2017 for our Seniors, but I'd described it as a 4 club competition. In 2018 I'd intended to run the same comp but did describe it as "3 clubs and a putter". A couple of players asked why I'd change the comp! Apparently, in 2017 one player used a 5i to putt and another used a hybrid. Consequently I redescribed the 2018 comp as a 4 club comp. They were happier to play without a putter to give them greater options through the green.

We moved the date to the summer to try to give an option of walking around with the 4 clubs in your hand and to negate the need for a bag. (An electric trolley with a big bag containing just 4 clubs is a bit strange - some of members struggle to carry a bag.) I recall the weather thwarted us.