3 club competition

evemccc

Visit site
Do you hit the 5W off the deck on enough holes to make it versatile enough to take it over the Driver?

Obvs depends on the course, but probably I’d go Driver, 8/9 iron, Putter

LizAig

Visit site
Last time I played that comp I chose 4wood and 9 iron. I’m happy hitting 4 wood anywhere and gripping down or punching with it …. and I figured my 9 iron is better for chipping and bunkers. We are a very hilly course so lots of pitching and chipping!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've heard of three clubs and a putter but three clubs including putter is really limiting! I guess I'd have to go fairway wood and short iron / pitching wedge. Let's say 7 wood and PW (but my PW is 41° these days). But sod knows what I'd do if I go in a bunker. Chip it backwards? Have enough trouble getting out of them with a 60 this time of year. ?

LizAig

Visit site
Y
I've heard of three clubs and a putter but three clubs including putter is really limiting! I guess I'd have to go fairway wood and short iron / pitching wedge. Let's say 7 wood and PW (but my PW is 41° these days). But sod knows what I'd do if I go in a bunker. Chip it backwards? Have enough trouble getting out of them with a 60 this time of year. ?
You‘re right - its so long since I played that type of comp I think it was 3 clubs and a putter so think I would have used 7 iron or Taylor made rescue!

Mandofred

Visit site
Played 3 clubs and a putter a few times, always wished they would do a 3 clubs comp, then you would have to decide whether to use a putter or not (I wouldn't). For only 2 normal clubs, I'd lean more towards what Orikoru said.....something like 7 wood and then for me probably a 50 degree wedge. The wedge would cover everything under 100yds.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played a few 3 club competitions over the years and won a couple 5 wood and 8 iron is a good option, I took 3 wood and 8 iron.

I tried ditching putter one year and took driver and putted with that but I lost a lot of shots on the greens so that didn’t work.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Never done less than 5 but for 3 I’d be looking at what the longest carry is and what’s the most lofted club I need for that carry. Then add a short club like a PW
Ideally I'd want 5 or 6 iron as the longer club if it makes all the tee carry's (not tried it round home course to see if it would) might be forced to a hybrid

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thoughts-

It is waste of my time going in to these competitions:ROFLMAO:

I have tried virtually every combination and never got near the wining scores. It is very frustrating because go round our 9 hole course with just 2 clubs and no putter and play to my handicap or better often.

As a note;- I do not know why clubs run them in winter as it cuts out so many shots because of the ground conditions.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I'd go hybrid (for tee shots, long shots in to greens, chipping and PUTTING)

50 deg. wedge for anything 100 yards and in.

and an 7 iron for the par 3's.

carldudley

Visit site
We had ours recently - it was very mixed from the field.

i took 3w (off the tee and long fairway), 7i for anything 3w was too long for, Approach Wedge (49deg) and putter.

It was either going to go amazing or terribly - it was the latter but good fun.

RichA

Visit site
Our club plays a 3 club challenge where a putter isn't mandatory. It was last weekend. Driver, 7i, 50° for me.
I'd prob go 7i, 50°, putter if I had to.

One of my pals is dead against such comps. I quite enjoy the challenge. It's a bit of fun when good scores are unlikely anyway because of the conditions so, with an unlimited golf membership, I see no harm in having a little fun.