2nd hand grips

wulliewallace

Visit site
I've recently purchased a set of used golf grips on Ebay. Upon opening them i've noticed the grips have a fair bit of grip tape still inside the grips. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get rid of this excess tape, whether it will cause issues with fitting them, or whether i should return them to the sender as not fit for purpose. They were advertised as 'great condition, ready to be used again'.

Cheers

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
2nd Hand Grips.............:confused:...........Seriously......??
Why would anybody.......??

Obviously they WEREN'T removed very well
And YES they can cause u a problem when fitted again.......lumps n bumps, uneven thickness

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
bung up the hole and fill with petrol/white spirit for a minute then use an appropriately sized square section of wood in a rotary motion to scrape residue out - transfer liquid to next grip

or

just turn inside out and clean with above liquids.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fairly sure Homers not part Irish, but now you have me interested, where did you want to get to Duncan?

T

thecraw

They may have just been removed from a set of irons before use. If they show no excessive signs of wear then you have a bargain. Ignore some of the snobish comments, also they will be fine, just fit them with the tape residue inside. It'll do no harm.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
They may have just been removed from a set of irons before use. If they show no excessive signs of wear then you have a bargain. Ignore some of the snobish comments, also they will be fine, just fit them with the tape residue inside. It'll do no harm.

It won't do any harm but why would you want lumpy/bumpy grips for the sake of half an hour cleaning them out??

T

thecraw

It won't do any harm but why would you want lumpy/bumpy grips for the sake of half an hour cleaning them out??

They wont be "lumpy bumpy" its a miniscule amount of paper and unless your like the fairytale story of the princess and the pea you will not notice!

Fact!

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
They wont be "lumpy bumpy" its a miniscule amount of paper and unless your like the fairytale story of the princess and the pea you will not notice!

Fact!

Rubbish - without trying to be impolite!

I've just replaced three grips at the weekend for a customer who put some secondhand grips on that weren't cleaned out properly. The tape can roll up into small ridges and it was quite noticeable. I have one on the bench at the moment exactly the same.

Like I said, half an hour cleaning (soak in a bowl of hot soapy water and scrape out with the edge of a knife) will sort it.

Darhigh

Medal Winner
Visit site
Surely with the small profit margin in re-gripping for Pro's anyway, second hand grips cant be popular? New ones are not that that expensive anyway with all the choice there is these days?

wulliewallace

Visit site
Thanks for the helpfull advice guys. My grips are now fitted lumpy bumpy free. This is the 1st time i've re-gripped my clubs myself and it was way easier than i'd imagined. For the record the grips were removed from a brand new set of irons having been used for 3 rounds. I saved 50% on the cheapest price i could find to buy the grips new, plus whatever a pro would charge to fit them, and feel pretty chuffed with myself into the bargain.