21 HCP after feedback

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Please take a look, and give honest feedback. If there is anything that stands out please let me know so I can work on it.

Cheers All.

[video=youtube;ne5jXPE6LLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5jXPE6LLs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Looks like you take the club away a little to the outside, the club gets to a decent position at the top but then you steepen it on the way down as you early extend instead of allowing the club (hands) to fall onto a more natural plane (from the inside). So you're a bit 'over the top' and hit fades and slices (pulls to the left when it goes wrong).

What are you not happy with and what do you want to fix/change?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Very rarely pull left, the odd hook or push right.

You cant really see from down the line, but my wrist hinge is still in place till my hand are back in front of me I think thats why I tend to push them right as i dont unload early enough and my club head hasnt got back to square, and when it does its because I've flipped my hands causing the hook????? But me I'm just a 21 hcp.

I was really looking for more feedback on address, tempo, rhythm and weight shift, and agles through swing. I was with my son at the range and just asked him to film me to post it on here. That was 2nd swing of 2. Didnt hit anymore as only had an hour for him to have a go.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Lots of good things but the 'bad; aspects seem:

Seem to have 'frozen' over the ball, though that could just be for the vid. Does seem to be some tension in that otherwise good looking posture.

You do seem to be a bit too wristy, both in the takeway and in the downswing. When your arms are level with belt (the half-way back position) the club-head is nearly at shoulder level, where the classic position (aka Luke) would be horizontal and pointing 'parallel target'.

Oh and the camera doesn't handle contrast particularly well! :D

Also seems a little S&T, so maybe I should be 'out'!:whistle:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Its a long swing for an eight iron. Have a look at someone like Luke Donald's position with an mid iron, more a three quarters swing, more control, and easier transition into the downswing. Not that I am as qualified as others to comment.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Very rarely pull left, the odd hook or push right.

You cant really see from down the line, but my wrist hinge is still in place till my hand are back in front of me I think thats why I tend to push them right as i dont unload early enough and my club head hasnt got back to square, and when it does its because I've flipped my hands causing the hook????? But me I'm just a 21 hcp.

I was really looking for more feedback on address, tempo, rhythm and weight shift, and agles through swing. I was with my son at the range and just asked him to film me to post it on here. That was 2nd swing of 2. Didnt hit anymore as only had an hour for him to have a go.

... it looks like a bloody good swing for a 21 h/capper. Like the idea of having the hands past the ball without flipping at it... and understanding that principle! (you don't need to unload, just keep the shoulders turning and the hands moving.. the club should always be playing 'catch up'.

Yes there's things to look at in your swing, I don't like the downwards path of your swing as it's steepens instead of flattens which would signify that your not moving to your left side enough in the transition/downswing. Your set up also look very rigid in the spine... not a great fan of 'cupping' the back like that as i believe it tensions the muscles in the back and stops a fluid rotation... I happen to like this set up... but something inbetween his and yours would be OK..

[video=youtube;9CykPtPcNp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CykPtPcNp4[/video]

even Faldo didn't have that kind of cupping that you have...

[video=youtube;hK_x9iyF7Iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_x9iyF7Iw[/video]

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I wouldnt change a thing........you're a high HC player and you have some way to go. Your swing looks not bad to me, I've seen a lot worse on cat 1 golfers, and although you're asking I would not fill your head full of multi thoughts. I take it you've only been playing a year or so and like most players in that category, all they want to do is hit the ball. Short game, irons, putting, wedges.....all of them will have your HC tumble, trust me. 100 balls around and on the green will be better than a 500 at the range.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Thanks all, will practice what has been said at home this week and post another clip next weekend during my warm up for a game on Sunday. So not going to be hitting a single ball, just practise the pointers people have given.

So what I've got to work at is:
Stance: Do not cup my back (straighten spine) to enable easier turning and maintain angles, try not to freeze to keep relaxed promote more fluidity and better rhythm.:cheers:
Take away: More compact with left arm to chest.
Downswing: Try to drop the club into a slot inside the line and flat to promote in to out swing???:fore:
Camera: Get one with better contrast . hahaha
Overall swing, look out for Cat1 HCP's to practise next to to look good. :whistle:

I'm sure that gives me plenty to practise and hopefully come back next week with some improvements.

Watch this space

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldnt change a thing........you're a high HC player and you have some way to go. Your swing looks not bad to me, I've seen a lot worse on cat 1 golfers, and although you're asking I would not fill your head full of multi thoughts. I take it you've only been playing a year or so and like most players in that category, all they want to do is hit the ball. Short game, irons, putting, wedges.....all of them will have your HC tumble, trust me. 100 balls around and on the green will be better than a 500 at the range.

There is a lot to be said for this approach!

Remember that learning to swing a golf club and learning to play golf are 2 different 'streams' - and they can get in each other's way!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Downswing: Try to drop the club into a slot inside the line and flat to promote in to out swing???:fore:

here's a kind of drill/feeling for you should you choose to try it.....[click pictures to enlarge them...]

Image2.jpg
Swing your club up so it's approx on the pink line (about a half - 3/4 swing) and hold it there, so someone standing there with a camera would see the club laid off to about 45 degrees..... then slowly feel your self bumping your hips and ribs a couple of inches to the left and moving weight onto your left side whilst the club drops a couple of inches to the yellow line... then just hit the ball :)

You should find that from the slightly lower position you can turn aggressively and start to turn your right shoulder down towards the ball correctly and this will help your swing plane and your early extension.

Currently your downswing plane is here.... (way steeper than the yellow line in the first pic)
dwp1.jpg

Hope that helps :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
JustOne's post on your steep downswing is good advice. You will strike the ball much better if you shallow it out and get it more on plane.

The attached video shows a good drill to help with this. You can practice it at home without a ball, the club pointing along the bottom of a wall back and through will give you the feel of swinging on plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMAXSxyMPxA

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The attached video shows a good drill to help with this. You can practice it at home without a ball, the club pointing along the bottom of a wall back and through will give you the feel of swinging on plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMAXSxyMPxA

Jeez!! swing near a wall?? .....way too scary.

I don't like that drill, I feel it'll make you take the club away too much to the inside... and probably too low. The club has to be up enough so that you can lower it slightly in the downswing/transition. That vid is freaking me out, giving me goosebumps... I can feel the pain already :p

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jeez!! swing near a wall?? .....way too scary.

I don't like that drill, I feel it'll make you take the club away too much to the inside... and probably too low. The club has to be up enough so that you can lower it slightly in the downswing/transition. That vid is freaking me out, giving me goosebumps... I can feel the pain already :p

James, Please read all my post :rolleyes: I suggest pointing the club along a wall without a ball, you dont need to swing it fast either. If the club keeps following the bottom of the wall back and through it will be perfectly on plane.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I did read it... I just don't happen to like it.....wall or not. Like I said I think it will result in a takeaway that's too low and/or too much to the inside. I don't believe that there's any straight lines in a swing and using a wall as a guide for a 21 h/capper is a bad idea in my book.

No big deal,... he's free to try whatever he wants, it's just my own opinion and I thought I'd post it :thup:

I'd rather use something like the pump drill where the club starts half way up the swing, in the correct position, and learn to swing down properly from there.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did read it... I just don't happen to like it.....wall or not. Like I said I think it will result in a takeaway that's too low and/or too much to the inside. I don't believe that there's any straight lines in a swing and using a wall as a guide for a 21 h/capper is a bad idea in my book.

No big deal,... he's free to try whatever he wants, it's just my own opinion and I thought I'd post it :thup:

Thats fine. I just think you are wrong and thought I would post it. :whistle:

When the clubshaft follows the extended ball to target line back and through the club has to be on plane. The base of a plane is a straight line.

Last edited:

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Thats fine. I just think you are wrong and thought I would post it. :whistle:

When the clubshaft follows the extended ball to target line back and through the club has to be on plane. The base of a plane is a straight line.

On this, I had a lesson earlier in the year, my take away and down swing were way to flat meaning I came over the top due to throwing my shoulder instead of turning. The pro (Adrian Fryer) used a laser with me to demonstrate keeping the club on plane, and the beam (club head) was supposed to travel at all times down the ball to target line then when wrist cock took place the laser (butt of the club) took over remaining on the ball to target line. Then on the down swing if it were a one plane swing the shaft, club head or butt of the club would at all times remain on the ball to target line.

From what I could gather, the feeling should be that of in to out to ensure this takes place?????????

Here is my swing from last May, 8 months into starting playing.

[video=youtube;OQDZAmJsd3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OQDZAmJsd3s[/video]

And here is May this year
[video=youtube;PVeJsSN17A0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVeJsSN17A0&feature=player_detailpage&list=ULPVeJsSN17A0[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When the clubshaft follows the extended ball to target line back and through the club has to be on plane.

..... but which one?... (seeing as they ALL follow the same rule)

pl1.jpg

...and this guy must be rubbish as his 'laser pointer' is 6 inches outside the line?
gi.jpg

Last edited: