2022 World Cup.

D

Deleted member 1740

The debate on generational footballers is one with far too many variables. Maybe Best's style wouldn't be suited to the modern fast/athletic game. He was, no doubt a great player but he was great comparative to his peers (as that is all you can reliably compare him to) and possibly it was the culture and behaviours that suited his game and style.

Safer just to say that they are all great players and that they were the best in their generation.

I agree. It seems that the social media willy waving contest always has to have a definitive winner. It's nauseating.

When i sit and think of some the greats i've had the pleasure to watch in stadiums across Europe its impossible to pick the greatest.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really enjoyable game that - Morocco were superb and the bounce just didn’t go their way - can’t believe someone even suggested they shouldn’t be there , some of their attacking skill and flair was excellent

France again had the quality at the end to get the goals - Mbappe again at times was superb

The final now should be a cracker

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought Morocco were hugely impressive tonight. More expansive than previous games, they just lacked cutting edge. Plenty of ooo moments for them to have nightmares about. What could have been.........

No idea who wins on Sunday. Both teams are good but offer chances.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rumours going round that Benzama is fit and is in the frame to play on Sunday. Can't see it myself, but you never know.
They said he could have joined up with them a couple of rounds earlier but that time they told him to stay at home. So I can't see him playing much part. I'm sure they won't drop Giroud.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd like to see Argentina win the World Cup. Despite being in the Ronaldo camp in the ever so tiring Ronaldo versus Messi debate, I don't care enough to want one player to constantly fail and the other to succeed, simply as I can take pleasure in using it as "evidence" my opinion is correct. I don't think it is a debate that can ever be won, as we all look for different attributes in players, and certain players fit better into certain teams.

But, Messi has been an unbelievable player. At 35, he won't have the pace he had a decade ago, but it has been said already, he is at the centre of the game for Argentina. He has been excellent, and he can still pull the strings, make things happen. I don't care if the Messi fans will go into overdrive if Messi wins the World Cup (prompting a strong defence from the Ronaldo fans). I simply think it would be nice to see him lift the World Cup, given the career he has had.

On another note, I was sad a few times watching last nights match, thinking "what could have been" had England beaten France. One day, I hope England go into a tournament where the players, manager and fans actually believe they can win the World Cup, rather than just think and hope they can. With the success of the Premier League, I'd like to think England can produce top quality youngsters in the future years, and so can go into tournaments with stronger sides that might have been the case in the past. Perhaps managing to get over the line just one time, will embed a winning mentality that doesn't seem to quite exist at present?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was a good game to watch and Morocco more than competed and played their part. Early goal forced their hand though, I'm not sure we would have seen them attacking so much had the score remainded at 0-0. France just had the quality and good fortune at the right time to win the game.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hang on.....

World Cup is in Qatar

PSG owned by Qatari's

Messi and Mbappe both play club football for PSG

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

This is one massive ploy by Qatar to make sure both their star players are in the final, isn't it?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm swaying towards an Argentina win as Messi deserves to be a WC winner.
I know what you mean but I dislike the feeling that anyone "deserves" to win anything....
If they're good enough on the day they'll win it..what you do in the run up to it is largely irrelevant.
P.enty of players of all sports could be deemed deserving of winning a major event but haven't...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd like to see Argentina win the World Cup. Despite being in the Ronaldo camp in the ever so tiring Ronaldo versus Messi debate, I don't care enough to want one player to constantly fail and the other to succeed, simply as I can take pleasure in using it as "evidence" my opinion is correct. I don't think it is a debate that can ever be won, as we all look for different attributes in players, and certain players fit better into certain teams.

But, Messi has been an unbelievable player. At 35, he won't have the pace he had a decade ago, but it has been said already, he is at the centre of the game for Argentina. He has been excellent, and he can still pull the strings, make things happen. I don't care if the Messi fans will go into overdrive if Messi wins the World Cup (prompting a strong defence from the Ronaldo fans). I simply think it would be nice to see him lift the World Cup, given the career he has had.

On another note, I was sad a few times watching last nights match, thinking "what could have been" had England beaten France. One day, I hope England go into a tournament where the players, manager and fans actually believe they can win the World Cup, rather than just think and hope they can. With the success of the Premier League, I'd like to think England can produce top quality youngsters in the future years, and so can go into tournaments with stronger sides that might have been the case in the past. Perhaps managing to get over the line just one time, will embed a winning mentality that doesn't seem to quite exist at present?
Agree to be honest. I'm also in the Ronaldo camp, but I'm slightly in favour of Argentina winning, fitting for Messi to end up with a World Cup to his name. And France won it last time so sod them.

I think we have some good young players, once they mature a bit perhaps we'll have more chance. Also think the manager is too nice to instil any kind of killer instinct.