2022 World Cup.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I like to see Bestie do what he did at the pace the modern game is played at for one game, never mind 50 or 60 games a season for over a decade.

Messi probably grew up playing on awful surfaces. Many of the worlds best do. He’d be as good on any pitch. A poor pitch would probably only make it easier for him to stand out.

Lets not forget that, in Best's era, the throat high tackle was not discouraged.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Lets not forget that, in Best's era, the throat high tackle was not discouraged.

Indeed.

There are however some players that one could imagine doing well in any era. Messi is one of those in my opinion.

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed.

There are however some players that one could imagine doing well in any era. Messi is one of those in my opinion.
Yeah. The advantage of the throat high tackle, for players like Best and Messi, is that they have amazing timing to nip ball away. As defender has committed themselves, then they are left for dead.

The disadvantage being that serious injuries are more likely, and that is bound to shorten a players career, and appearances during the season.

I find it impossible to rate players in the same era, let alone from different eras. We all have our own preferences in what a player can offer. Also, few people will ever choose a defender or defensive midfielder, yet such a player could be even more important to a team than the guy with silky skills and good scoring record.

Sometimes it seems just best to sit back, and admire good football when it is on show. Unless it is against your team of course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems to me the only way the striker could have NOT run into the keeper was by not trying to get a strike on goal.

Well there's a new one to me... You're only allowed to shoot if you make sure you dodge anyone trying to stop you scoring.
So you think the striker ran into the keeper ?
It’s a contact sport.
Not every contact is a foul.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well that’s part 1 done - Messi with the chance to complete the set

Next to see if France can make it and then Mbappe Vs Messi will be highlighted

It would be good to see Messi win a World Cup to give him the lot - a special player and for many the best that’s been

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The striker runs into him.
You don’t have to move out of the way. He had both feet on the ground.
If the keeper physically hadn't moved you would have a point. But he ran out to meet the forward, failed to get the ball and impeded the forward's progress, stopping him from being able to knock the ball in the net. It's a penalty.

D

Deleted member 18121

So you think the striker ran into the keeper ?
It’s a contact sport.
Not every contact is a foul.

Did he deliberately run into the keeper? No. It was part of him getting his shot off.

Let's flip it around....the ball is 1m further on and the keeper collects the ball in his arms, Alvarez collides with him and knocks him to the floor whilst trying to get his foot in for a shot..... That would be a clear foul on the keeper. So I can't understand why what we saw tonight isn't a clear pen in some eyes.

For me, stonewall penalty all day every day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did he deliberately run into the keeper? No. It was part of him getting his shot off.

Let's flip it around....the ball is 1m further on and the keeper collects the ball in his arms, Alvarez collides with him and knocks him to the floor whilst trying to get his foot in for a shot..... That would be a clear foul on the keeper. So I can't understand why what we saw tonight isn't a clear pen in some eyes.

For me, stonewall penalty all day every day.
He fluffed his finish and ran into the keeper.
Not for me he was never beating Lovren to the ball.

No wonder VAR won’t have ex players on it.
Three in the studio no pen
Two In commentary stonewall.???
Same as us on here!