2021 Professional Golf Thread

sunshine

Visit site
hitting over 68% of fairways & ranked 17 on tour, wish I struggled like that with the driver.

https://www.golfchannel.com/tours/player/matthew-fitzpatrick

The point that 4LEX is making is that he is miles behind off the tee. His low ball flight means he can't carry bunkers at 300 yards. On a par 5 he can't send a fairway wood or long iron into orbit to land softly on the green. He may be straight but he's leaving himself longer approaches. Over the course of 4 days the top players take advantage of that. We saw that at the Ryder Cup.

He's a great player, a brilliant putter, and it's got him into the world top 20. I just see it as very difficult for him to win the biggest events like a major or WGC when the strongest fields come to town.

sunshine

Visit site
He was unlucky with the wedge hitting the pin on 16 but fell away totally after that. Best player for 3 rounds.

Best player for 3 rounds - how many times have we heard that about Rory!

He was desperately unlucky with the wedge that hit the pin. But he should have been 3 shots clear by then. The "old Rory" would have turned this into a procession. He's such a good golfer, I just think he has developed a mental block on a Sunday :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a big Rory fan and have made that clear on here before but with the RC meltdown and the way you could see him really trying to grind it out and get a play-off at best you can see it was hurting him. Not sure about ripping the shirt but we all do silly things at times. Got to admire the passion. Still think he throws a poor bogey in at bad times but if he can fire for four rounds then he'll win by a margin again.

4LEX

Visit site
“Struggles with the driver”
what the hell are you on about?

Struggles with distance obviously. For someone to finish so high in the Tour rankings and sit outside the Top 100 in distance says a lot.

I don't know if you've seen him play in person, I have a fair few times mostly in Dubai where he has a good record. He's really impressive but the one striking thing is how low he hits the driver. Maybe it's personal bias but I would never trust that type of ball flight when it really counts - in majors and Ryder Cups.

D

Deleted member 1147

Struggles with distance obviously. For someone to finish so high in the Tour rankings and sit outside the Top 100 in distance says a lot.

I don't know if you've seen him play in person, I have a fair few times mostly in Dubai where he has a good record. He's really impressive but the one striking thing is how low he hits the driver. Maybe it's personal bias but I would never trust that type of ball flight when it really counts - in majors and Ryder Cups.
You wouldn’t trust a ball flight that goes low, but straight?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Like a WGC?
Honestly, I don't think anyone including the players care about that 'title'. The money yes, but the title... No.

Eg look at the Ryder Cup where the players aren't paid, but everyone cares. And in all 4 majors (or least 3 of them), the money could be halved and the top players would still show up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I meant proper tournaments that some people might care about.

So a PGA tournament with $10m in prize money and nearly $2m for first isnt a proper tournament? A field including McIlroy, Morikawa, Oosthuizen, Finau, DJ, Spieth, Thomas, Schauffle, English, Hovland, Smith, Simpson, Hatton, Reed etc

SO what counts as a proper tournament?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So a PGA tournament with $10m in prize money and nearly $2m for first isnt a proper tournament? A field including McIlroy, Morikawa, Oosthuizen, Finau, DJ, Spieth, Thomas, Schauffle, English, Hovland, Smith, Simpson, Hatton, Reed etc

SO what counts as a proper tournament?
Surely the monthly medal is a contender ?

D

Deleted member 1147

What I love about the anti-McIlroy stuff is that people talk about him like he's a failure.

Yet. he's got nearly enough wins to be a hall-of-famer twice over

You need 15 wins on major tours, plus 2 majors

He has 28 wins, plus 4 majors, and he's only 32

I'll bet there's a shed load of players on the world tours, who wished they had the stones to win tournaments that Rory has!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What I love about the anti-McIlroy stuff is that people talk about him like he's a failure.

Yet. he's got nearly enough wins to be a hall-of-famer twice over

You need 15 wins on major tours, plus 2 majors

He has 28 wins, plus 4 majors, and he's only 32

I'll bet there's a shed load of players on the world tours, who wished they had the stones to win tournaments that Rory has!

but but but he should have 40 tour wins and 10 majors with the talent he has ;)