2021 Professional Golf Thread

4LEX

Visit site
“Just short”. Sadly Rory was miles behind. Level par for 14 holes while everyone else was going low, loads of missed chances, that’s before his collapse over the final 4 holes. A familiar final day tale of woe.

He was unlucky with the wedge hitting the pin on 16 but fell away totally after that. Best player for 3 rounds.

4LEX

Visit site
I still find watching Fitzpatrick difficult - his swing tempo to the naked eye is absurdly quick. Armchair punditry of course, but does anyone else think that maybe this is what causes him to struggle in the final sprint?

He's got such a flat backswing and hits the ball so low. I'm not surprised he struggles with the driver. But he knows his game and limitations, probably happy to hoover up millions a year and grab a few wins.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
“Just short”. Sadly Rory was miles behind. Level par for 14 holes while everyone else was going low, loads of missed chances, that’s before his collapse over the final 4 holes. A familiar final day tale of woe.

Didn't Morikawa goes 18 pars in a row before the fast finish? The difference is very small and on another day Rory makes birdies on 13th and 14th and cruises home. His error I appreciate but very small magins of difference. The bad luck with the flag stick was really unfortunate and cost him.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Morikawa is just fantastic, he has a superb mentality that when it matters he can elevate himself.... he hit an amazing iron shot from the bunker, then capitalized with the putt. McIlroy extremely unlucky with the pin into bunker shot, it's a pity as that derailed him and meant he had to chase hard - would have been great to have had a play-off with those 2.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed what i saw of the golf this weekend.

Morikawa was brilliant, and deserves his titles. He is a great player, ambassador and a credit to the sport, but i think even he was overshadowed by the achievement of JY Ko on the LPGA.

Her record over the last few months is off the charts good, winning 5 of her last 9 starts, breaking Sorenstams record of consecutive rounds in the 60s, and now hitting 63 greens in regulation while staring down the world number one and with a record breaking sum of money on the line. All of this while carrying a wrist injury and coming into the week admitting she was exhausted and unable to practice.

Her golf is phenomenal and more important to me - relatable. She hits distances that i recognize, unlike the mens tour when it looks and feels like a completely different sport.