2021 Professional Golf Thread

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
i think most would agree that Rory has a helluva natural talent for hitting the golf ball right. It's what got him there.
Same with Trevino ( and maybe most of the others).
Why tinker with something that ain't broke?
Why have this need for a "team" around you? Personally I'd have one trusted adviser/confidante who came up with me and stick to my natural game.
Imagine someone trying to coach Trevino or Couples to become drawers of the ball?

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
These guys are the top 0.006% of people who play golf. And players like Rory and DJ want to be the top 1% of that.

They are into extremely small marginal gains. If Rory holes 1 more putt every round, or gains 10 yards off the tee, or brings his average proximity down by a few feet. It makes a huge difference.

Just holing 1 more putt per round would see someone like Rory dominate.

sunshine

Visit site
It was the Bryson effect.
BDC emerged from lockdown unleashing bombs, Rory thought he had to do the same in order to compete.
It almost became 'all about the driving' and, I think, he lost his focus on the rest of his game.

Isn't this just how Rory has always been?

sunshine

Visit site
Golfers seems to have a habit of getting too greedy - with McIlroys natural talent he could probably have sailed through a pretty successful career but has found himself falling into the trap that others before him have (Luke Donald!).

Sorry, but I don't understand the reference to Luke Donald. Could you please explain?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't understand the reference to Luke Donald. Could you please explain?
I think Luke decided he wasn't long enough off the tee so focused most of his time trying to increase distance to the detriment of his short game - the very thing that got him to #1
Many a top player have sought to change things, even when they'd won lots.
Paddy Harrington and Martin Kaymer are others that spring to mind.
Both won Majors as well as other events but decided to change the swing..

sunshine

Visit site
Rory is a decent putter. Quite streaky - when it's hot he often wins the tournament.

Personally, I think Rory would benefit most from improving his proximity to the hole on approaches. His driving is outstanding, it's really common to see him 20-30 yards further up the fairway than his playing partners, but then he's unable to hit his approach inside theirs. Principally this means sharpening up his wedge game to take advantage of his driving, it worked for Dustin.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
This course at Santa Ponsa that the ET are visiting looks absolutely atrocious. The course itself looks pretty tatty, but the greens definitely look as bad as anything I've ever seen on the TV and probably worse than anything I've ever played on.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Good to see Pieters back winning.
Looking like Hovland will hold off the pack, great run from Ortiz.

Great to see Hovland win again - always seems to be smiling whatever happens. Hope he keeps it up and wins a major soon.

JT seemed genuinely pleased for Ortiz when he made his birdie putt on 18, even though it cost him a load of cash, which was nice to see.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loved this weeks collection of winners, Hovland building wins, Lydia Ko showing class above LET but still getting back to winning, and Pieters hopefully can push back on to be challenging for RC when it comes round.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A fair while, second playoff final seemed a farce for Hall to have to keep going for a double bogey when Pederson was tucked in next to the flag with an eagle putt. Should be able to concede play offs or at least let the other player just play out of turn to get it complete.

Whilst for most part playoff wasn't great quality, that eagle from Pederson was a pretty impressive drive, approach and putt!!

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LPGA Tour hall of fame must have an insane scoring system for their requirements. Commentator this evening said Lydia Ko still needs 8 more points to qualify!

At 24, she's a former world number 1, two time major winner, 14 other LPGA wins, rookie of the year, player of the year and a money list winner. How could her qualification be in doubt.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Crazy finish in the LPGA event, going to a 4-way play off after Nelly Korda tripled 17 then birdied 18 and Lexi missed shortish ones for par on 17 and 18.
Lydia Ko and Sei Young Kim make up the four, free to view on YouTube.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last 3 holes, that’s 3 putts missed from 5ft. Must be tough to take.

Pleased for Nelly, quality final hole (twice) meant she went and won it. sky coverage, some elements of play and delayed second shot from Kim just seemed to make it slightly anticlimactic though for what could have been a really good final day.