2021 Professional Golf Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bit like the Champions League in football - I've not minded the format - there's been a fair bit of excitement today - which you wouldn't normally get on a Friday.

in a KO format you spread that excitement over every day. Last 2 days been very flat coverage wise and today theyve struggled to focus on the games that matter at key times and some of the best bits been missed

personally would like to see more matchplay golf in the calendar but finding a format that works for tv viewing is crucial to this and theyve not got there yet for me

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Quite enjoy any aspect of this tournament but, if we ever got a major being matchplay (which we won’t) don’t expect it would ever involve a pool format.

Van Rooyen’s swing is as easy on the eye as anyone in the field...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So those that went through were ranked:

3, 21, 30, 31, 32, 39, 41, 48, 49, 52, 53, 54, 55, 60, 62, 64

So the most represented quartile is the lowest ranked one (half those through) and Rahm the only top seed (and top 20 ranked player) to make it through

Anyone can beat anyone!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fleetwood v Frittelli
Horschel v Streelman
Garcia v Hughes
MacIntyre v Perez
Scheffler v Poulter
Rahm v van Rooyen
Watson v Harman
Kuchar v Spieth

Advertising execs in a bad place tonight lol

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Could be quite a hard watch over the weekend...
The perils of a Matchplay event on TV
Most of the big names go home, nobody watches..

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
So those that went through were ranked:

3, 21, 30, 31, 32, 39, 41, 48, 49, 52, 53, 54, 55, 60, 62, 64

So the most represented quartile is the lowest ranked one (half those through) and Rahm the only top seed (and top 20 ranked player) to make it through

Anyone can beat anyone!

Have they tried top two from groups go through to a KO round of 32?
Only one more round and they can play; two rounds first day, two rounds second day, final round third day (over 36 holes to test their fitness)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fleetwood v Frittelli
Horschel v Streelman
Garcia v Hughes
MacIntyre v Perez
Scheffler v Poulter
Rahm v van Rooyen
Watson v Harman
Kuchar v Spieth

Advertising execs in a bad place tonight lol
If they hadn't put half the euros in one group, they'd be in real trouble.

Boomy

Visit site
Personally it doesn’t remotely bother me that the top ranked players are out... they couldn’t cut the mustard and the better players actually got through. I think there’ll be some great golf over the weekend, as winning it means even more to a lower ranked players.

YandaB

Visit site
Personally it doesn’t remotely bother me that the top ranked players are out... they couldn’t cut the mustard and the better players actually got through. I think there’ll be some great golf over the weekend, as winning it means even more to a lower ranked players.
Indeed, the players that have got through are those that are better at match play, the seedings were based on stroke play. The discussions on this forum have shown that there are clearly different attitudes from different palyers that make a difference. That said, not sure what other seedings you can base it on as there is so little match play at the highest level to get meaningful rankings.

Imurg

Visit site
I know some don't like complaints about tv coverage but there are 4 matches out on the course and all they're showing is shots from the 1st hole?????
What the actual..?
Theyve got cameras on the 2nd and 3rd coz I saw pictures yesterday....
Why do they think we'd only be interested in the just the first hole?.
I don't understand anymore.....watching people walking to the 1st tee, putting or on the range when there's live golf on..

Boomy

Visit site
I know some don't like complaints about tv coverage but there are 4 matches out on the course and all they're showing is shots from the 1st hole?????
What the actual..?
Theyve got cameras on the 2nd and 3rd coz I saw pictures yesterday....
Why do they think we'd only be interested in the just the first hole?.
I don't understand anymore.....watching people walking to the 1st tee, putting or on the range when there's live golf on..

It must be something to do with the host broadcaster rights/licence I’d say. Full overage after the first hour I think they said.

Imurg

Visit site
It must be something to do with the host broadcaster rights/licence I’d say. Full overage after the first hour I think they said.
Yeah, I get that Sky rely on the host transmission but what jerk of an American TV Executive thought it would be a good idea.?