2020 Professional Golf Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cantlay just hit a 6 iron on the 256 yard par 3.... ???
The European tour posted a clip on Facebook earlier this week of part of a practice round, either Willet or Hatton at Wentworth. It was highlighting the drop off in distances hit in cold, damp conditions. For one shot he had 199 to hit, he took a 4 iron and he was well short. We have to factor this in when we see these figures from the US.

That is bonkers though.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just watched Hatton's round in highlight form. He's such a good all-round golfer. Does everything well.
Re. Vegas distances, as well as the temp and dryness, it's at altitude (not Crans or Mexico, but well above sea level)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watched the last few holes, Hatton played well - apart from the 2nd into 18 ?
Course looking good also.
Can't be a****d to seek out the owgr, but there's definitely a case for him as England's top player. Just doesn't get the love that Fleetwood receives.
He seems to be really good at winning when in a position.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't be a****d to seek out the owgr, but there's definitely a case for him as England's top player. Just doesn't get the love that Fleetwood receives.

Hatton will now go into the top ten in the world and will be the English number 1

Both have records that are similar with Fleetwood just marginally ahead.

Hatton won’t get the same adulation because of his demeanour on the course and his strops etc

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I looked ?, last week they are 14 & 15, with Hatton at 15. He has a growing rep for closing out tournaments I agree

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hatton won’t get the same adulation because of his demeanour on the course and his strops etc
Which is fair enough. But I've always thought that it was intensely self critical rather than general unpleasantness, so never bothered me that much. Maybe a little to much like my own self loathing after a bad shot for comfort...
Anyway, we're lucky to have them both. Hopefully they go on to greater things.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would like to see Hatton kick on. Is he really any worse than other golfers (Woods being a prime example) that can be moody about his own performance on the course rather than just being petulant and difficult for any other reason. We all make mistakes and so if he has come across as moody and petulant you'd hope those around him will have pointed this out and as he becomes a leading light on the ET tour he'll try and change

D

Deleted member 15344

Which is fair enough. But I've always thought that it was intensely self critical rather than general unpleasantness, so never bothered me that much. Maybe a little to much like my own self loathing after a bad shot for comfort...
Anyway, we're lucky to have them both. Hopefully they go on to greater things.

I have never been bothered by him - he shows a bit of character on the course which is never a bad thing. Certainly showing himself to be a very good golfer - needs to start challenging in majors

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Soly, host of the No Laying Up podcast, recently said something along the lines of "although I don't like Bryson as a person, I really root for him now as a player".

I'm the same, I find him compulsive viewing, you never know what's coming next....

Think Bryson's been on the featured groups all week. I've mostly stayed with it even when the full coverage has started, so agree.
Nice iron onto a par 4 ? (admittedly downwind).
The "rough" on the course is a bit laughable though.

D

Deleted member 1147

Have to admit Im warming to Hatton, think hes softening a little. Yes hes petulant at times but there seems to be a bit more humour and warmth to him of late, both on the course and in interviews
I’d love to have him and Spieth play together, I wouldn’t need to listen to the commentators to know what’s happening.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sensational bunker shot from Laird!!

And perfectly set up by the commentators; the lie is dreadful, he's buried right under the lip; if he'd carried 6 inches more he'd be stone dead;he could damage a wrist; the ball could hit him; he could damage his knee, he's just back from surgery.

No, none of those. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: