2016 End Of Season Forum Awards

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17920

Bit of fun as its nearly the end of the season and the courses are slowing starting to look like winter :angry:

2016 forum awards for.

UK courses only please as we don't need any show offs who have played Pebble Beach and Augusta :D

1. Best course you have played this year in the UK.

2. Best Greens you have played on this season.

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season.

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)

D

Deleted member 17920

I will kick it off

Trump Aberdeen without a doubt, the whole place is fantastic, the practise facilities and golf course is quality, the golf course does need time to mature.

St Annes Old Links yet again, just incredible how true and smooth they get them

Royal Aberdeen for me in a 40mph wind on the front 9 with very little fairway to aim for, a real test of golf.

Murcar in 40mph hail was a very close 2nd :mad:

And finally the best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)

Silloth yet again, £22.50 for an open is just criminal, its a must for everyone at some point.

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. Best course you have played this year in the UK - Saunton East(could just have easily been the West as both were stunning!!!)

2. Best Greens you have played on this season - Beau Desert

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season - Braemar when it was blowing an absolute hoolie

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year - Beau Desert Am/Am at £45 each

D

Deleted member 15344

Bit of fun as its nearly the end of the season and the courses are slowing starting to look like winter :angry:

2016 forum awards for.

UK courses only please as we don't need any show offs who have played Pebble Beach and Augusta :D

1. Best course you have played this year in the UK. - Royal St George's - notable mentions to Hankley Common , Woodhall Spa ( Hotckin )

2. Best Greens you have played on this season. Liphook

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season. Royal St George's

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)

Playing Hollinwell in a week for £48 including a lunch also notable mention to the £55 all day winter deal including bacon roll and lunch

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. Best course you have played this year in the UK - Carnoustie it's just well, Carnoustie.

2. Best Greens you have played on this season - Glenbervie's (scary in June).

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season - Murcar I'm not a lover of hail storms.

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year - Not one course but the Golf in Scotland Series, £75 to register/enter, then you choose 4 events from 12 to play in paying £30 each time (bacon roll included), Largs, West Linton, Scotscraig & Montrose were my 4, all played off White tees, counting stableford. Your total point are added, everyone then plays the grand final over 2 weekends to give you a total of 5 rounds. Final was at the Renaissance this year (again £30 including bacon rolls before round & meal after) 2 handicap sections top 5 from each go on an all expenses golf holiday abroad (Florida last year). Great value looking forward to 2017 were grad final will be at Castle Stuart. :thup:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

For me its Tralee in County Kerry not technically the UK , part designed by Arnold Palmer and the rest by the big man upstairs a fantastic purse for scenery and the back 9 is something else, the way the course goes thru the dunes and the par 3s are amazing played it about a week after he passed away.

Carnoustie Championship in a match for my club they were like glass ,so true to putt on

Waterville Links it was 40mph winds and rain coming at you straight we were soaked thru to the skin , would i do it again you bet i would.

And finally the best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)

Tain in the Highlands, 36 hole open for £20 ,a great course which is quirky in bits but fantastic value and course was in great condition.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Best course you have played this year in the UK. - Ganton. Absolutely loved the place, probably not "the best" but the best new one for me certainly

2. Best Greens you have played on this season. Royal Lytham the other week. Absolutely perfect in every way, probably only greens I've seen that were better than Nairn's the other year.

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season. Toss up between the open at West Lancs in April and Lytham the other week. Both howling gales, at Lytham we got the added bonus of a hail storm so probably edges it!

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count). Silloth. It's basically giving it away the price they charge for their opens given the quality of the course. I'll probably enter their 36 holer next year as on the same weekend our place is closed.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best course I played was Carnoustie but best new (to me) course was Loch Lomond so an honourable mention to it.

Best greens is tough, played lots of courses in great condition this year and can't really pick one. Carnoustie, mortonhall, Loch Lomond, Liberton, aboyne were all brilliant.

Best value - £22 for an open on Carnoustie championship course is hard to beat.

Nearly forgot the hardest... yeah Carnoustie of course!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

2016 forum awards for.

1. Best course you have played this year in the UK. - Royal St George's - notable mentions to Hankley Common , Woodhall Spa ( Hotckin )

2. Best Greens you have played on this season. Liphook

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season. Royal St George's

And finally

Playing Hollinwell in a week for £48 including a lunch also notable mention to the £55 all day winter deal including bacon roll and lunch

You mean the RSG with no rough, no wind and the tees miles forward?

Imagine it on a proper day. Must be hell.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Best course you have played this year in the UK. ...... Carnoustie, honourable mentions to Trump and Ganton.

2. Best Greens you have played on this season. .......St Annes Old Links

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season...... Murcar for one hole until the course was covered in hail. I've never been so cold on a golf course!!

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count ) Going to go for Comrie , at £20 it was lovely...... Silloth open was a bargain at £22.50 and £47 for Ganton on a twilight is a steal also.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1- Best course. Carnoustie
2- Beat greens. Little Aston
3- Hardest. Carnoustie, tough course on a windy day
4- Best value, tough to beat the value of the Golf in Scotland series as Kenny said. £220 for 5 courses including the Renaissance in counting comps.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin. Played it on a weekend away and absolutely loved it.

The Watson Course at Reunion Resort, Orlando. Perfect in every way.

Hunstanton. Played it with 40mph gusts, and rain that varied from light drizzle to biblical downpours, with a bot of hail for good measure.

And finally

Reunion Resort, Orlando. $40 including buggy, so about 30 quid. Stunning value.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Swinley Forest - timeless and a unique atmosphere of bygone eras

Maidenhead - quick and true with so many subtle breaks. Mention in dispatches for my own clubs and the work the new greenkeeper has done in the last year. Best they've been and very true and quickest they've been. Pick a line, trust it

Kingswood in gale force winds. Brutally tough. Many par fours (not overly long) out of reach in two

And finally

Caversham Heath - £17.00 per head (after 5.00pm). Week after their club champs and course was top notch

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best course? I have played on some great ones this year but have to go for The Old Course because it is so iconic.

Best greens? I don't feel my putting is good enough have comment on this

Worst conditions? St Andrews Eden with the worst wind I have ever played in

Best value? £22 to play Carnoustie Championship course in the Northern Open. (thanks for telling me about it Karen)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Not my most productive season in terms of courses played...however....

1. Best course you have played this year in the UK. ...... St Annes Old Links.

2. Best Greens you have played on this season. ....... St Annes Old Links. I can only imagine anyone putting any other course down havn't played here :), though Formby Ladies ran a close second.

3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season...... Not played enough to comment this year. Bit of a fair weather wimp at the best of times!

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count ) ......Probably our first Golf Society outing to Morecambe (April) with bacon barm, 18 holes and 2 course meal for under 30 quid.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Best course - Birkdale
Best greens - St Enodoc
Hardest conditions - Practice day on the New course at St Andrews for the Eden tournament. The wind was beyond a joke that day.
Best value - Has to be the Eden tournament. A week of golf in St Andrews for £120 and you get a free gift (nice holdall this year) and a BBQ on the Tuesday night all included.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best course - Birkdale
Best greens - St Enodoc
Hardest conditions - Practice day on the New course at St Andrews for the Eden tournament. The wind was beyond a joke that day.
Best value - Has to be the Eden tournament. A week of golf in St Andrews for £120 and you get a free gift (nice holdall this year) and a BBQ on the Tuesday night all included.

Must have been in the afternoon when I was on the Eden.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1, Trump by a mile

2, in same boat as louise

3, murcar was just silly

4, Aintree, my years membership has cost bugger all!

5, biggest let down? Carnoustie. No idea what all the fuss is about

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Royal St Georges

The Berkshire

Toss up between Hayling Island & Royal Cinque Ports

Ullesthorpe (£15 for an Open)

5. Most disappointing..

Woburn

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Old Course. Absolutely loved the whole experience.

PGA Centenary at Gleneagles. My putting was shown up that day.

Western Gailes. Conditions were great, it's just a tough course. And brilliant.

And finally

The only other place I played was The Duke's at St Andrews at a discounted rate, so it has to be that. Doesn't mean it was good value, though.