2016 End Of Season Forum Awards

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here my two penneth

1. Best course you have played this year in the UK.
The Old Course. Simply magical.
2. Best Greens you have played on this season.
Again, The Old Course. Very surprised at how good they were considering the footfall that the course gets.
3. Hardest course and conditions you have experienced this season.
Played St Annes Old Links in a gale earlier on this year, hardest conditions I've had to play it in.

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)
As with many people here, Silloth is just superb value. Didn't play in the Open comp, however did go there in September (4 years in a row now) £49 for 36 holes. Will be back again next year!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
1. Best course
Fairhaven

2. Best greens
St Anne's Old Links

3. it wasn't the conditions ... it was just me; I'm afraid :p

4. Best value: Lytham Green Drive, twilight green fee starting early afternoon (2 pm) all summer: 15 pounds ... really nice parkland course as well

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Georges Hill or Royal St Georges
Burnham & Berrow (the day of the west of england semi finals)
Havent really played in any really tough conditions this year, actually been very lucky. However, Notts off the back tees is a monster but very enjoyable at the same time

And finally

4. The best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)
I would probably have to say Notts as their mens open was only £60 for 36 holes, however, my membership at Burnham for £300 is probably the real winner.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trump Aberdeen (just the back 9 though)
Liphook
Ashridge the set up on the day made it stupid tight and penal in the rough. Murcar for the first time out, 4 holes in a light breeze and drizzle!!😂

And finally

Knowle as well presented a course as played anywhere this year. 17 notes for 36 holes 👍

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The Heritage @ London Club.

Celtic Manor 2010. Played it last week, superb.

Vale of Glamorgan off the back sticks in windy conditions, with rough as tough as you can find. Ate me up and spat me out.........keeping 10 golf balls down for good measure!

Played Littlestone Warren for £10 one night in the summer. It is the 2nd course to its big brother, but it was in superb condition, the greens were running quick and it is a lovely course in its own way.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Best Course:- Carya in Turkey (glorious sunshine helps)
Best Greens:- Carya/Sultan in Turkey or Peel in the Isle of Man
Hardest Course: Conwy/Royal St Davids when my driving was erratic, you need to be straight on these 2
Best Value/Most Fun Course: Nefyn, I think it was £40-50 for 27 holes and the holes on the point are like crazy golf for grown-ups

D

Deleted member 1418

This is too date as I'm playing the Old and New Course at St Andrews next month!

1. Best course - Royal St George's; honourable mentions though to The Grove, Royal Cinque Ports, The Centurion and West Herts (the latter my last game with RickG, may he forever rest in peace).

2. Best Greens - The Grove. Middle of summer and they were absolutely perfect.

3. Hardest course and conditions - Royal St George's; was very cold............and had a raging hangover!

And finally

4. The best value green fee - haven't actually paid a green fee this season! Have all been either members / society rates or freebies! The Grove was a freebie..............which included breakfast, dinner and alcohol!!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
best course - RCP as it was my first forum meet and i loved the place. just pushed The Old Course at Walton Heath into 2nd place
best greens- Woburn - they were slippery buggers. I must say that Bletchingley have decent greens too
hardest course and conditions - International Course at The London Club - it was a 2-3 club wind and cold - just pips Walton Heath as it wasn't as cold
best value - Foxhills - breakfast, 18 holes, lunch, 18 holes, 3 course evening meal and free bar - all paid for by one of my clients so it was free

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was Carnoustie, but then I played Royal Birkdale and that was that.

S&A in early April were sensational. But Caroustie pips it. I'm positive I'd agree with St Anne's though had I played it since the other two.

Is this two questions or one, Roddy? And as a point of note you didn't play Royal Aberdeen in a 40mph wind cos I played it in a 25mph wind!

Anyway, hardest course I've played was Probably Birkdale. If Aberdeens back 9 was anything like it's front though, then that'd be it.

Hardest conditions - Murcar!!

And finally the best value green open or green fee you have had this year (members guest rate or free doesn't count)

Easy, Cavendish singles open - 36 holes and soup and sarnies at half-time, £30. Will definitely go back next year.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site

powfoot , stunning course and got lucky with weather too.

my own course at Ashton and Lea, have to say green staff been fantastic this year and the greens have been well received by a lot of visitors from better or more exclusive clubs

Sad to say but shaw hill. The course was in poor shape ( down to poor weather I guess) and greens a mess. The wind was up when we played and really disappointed :(

maybe be if I played in height if summer it will be better :)

And finally

powfoot again we played it in a mixed open for £18 between us :) bargain

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Carnoustie for me, Brutally honest golf course, no tricks just relentlessly posing questions about your ability to execute shots - loved it.

I thought the greens at Murcar were superb, They'd had the Scottish Boys Open the week before so they had received a lot of TLC.

Murcar again with the forum trip was pretty hard conditions but improved later in the day and I ended up enjoying the course a lot. Trump in the wind was a bit of a (spectacular) slog.

And finally

The day ticket at Machrahanish was worth every penny. For a cheaper option, £20 at Auchterarder neighbouring Gleneagles was great value and a lovely place to spend an afternoon. .