2015 Srixon irons.....a giant leap for mankind.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Yeah, Srixon have pulled the rabbit out of the hat with their new range of irons. I text Scott Gourlay the other day asking his opinion, which I rate highly. He said they’re the best irons he’s handled for some time. Not just looks but performance and feel. I’ve also known Scott since he was junior golfer and I’ve yet to receive my commission for all the people I’ve sent to him.

Anyway, I’ve been steadily going off my TM RBZ tours, so I popped round to Scotty for a demo. He already has my spec/info so it was just the case of switch on trackman and let me hit at these bad boys. I was going to try other irons, but these looked so good and the ticked all my boxes, including price so I didn’t even try the new Mizuno’s models because another £150 was involved.

I still play off 5, but at 62 years young I’m no big hitter, my RBZ 6 iron carries around 155 and considering the Srixons are forged I would be happy if they went roughly the same. Well, the Srixons gave me another 3 or 4 yards, not that I was bothered. The real plus was that nice forged feel that I missed after selling my old MP53s. The other gain was my miss hits being further than my RBZ miss hits. The Srixons felt great and I knew with every, yes every shot, what way the ball was going without looking at the screen. I should know, I’ve been hitting balls for 40 odd years.

I tried a couple of main stream shafts but the new Nissan NS Pros were the dogs nads. So I’ve ordered a combination set, that being 4 to 8 in the Z 745 model with only two, the 9 and PW in the Z 945 blade model. This combination looks seamless, you just wouldn’t know, they’re so good.

Oh, I also tried the new Srixon driver and I did gain a little but not enough to want me to part with the RBZ/Accra shaft combination, a combination that I’ve never beaten as yet. So I recommend you try the new Driver as well as their lovely fairway woods.
Incidentally, I’m not just biased, but Scott looks after a few well known touring pros, mainly because he has shaft combinations that you will never find anywhere else.....trust me. His Aladdins cave is to die for and it would take a full day or more to get through all the shaft manufacturers he has, some I’ve never heard of.

Srixon really have come up trumps with these irons. Don’t take my word for it, go try and see for yourself.

Last edited:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly look the biz Tommo similar to the Bridgestone irons which slipp under the radar. Watched Rick Shiels video's and he was impressed with them. Do they have a price yet?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
Certainly look the biz Tommo similar to the Bridgestone irons which slipp under the radar. Watched Rick Shiels video's and he was impressed with them. Do they have a price yet?

All in, £570 with the Nissan, sorry Nippon NS pro 950 shafts, 4 to PW. I think you could get them for less with std ready made sets...I'm not sure.

However, Scott only stocks the heads, the reason I can get the 9 and PW in the Z 945 model, then builds them from scratch to my own spec. Me.....2 degrees flat. So I suppose that costs more as they're not std factory production.

I'm sure in a few months they'll be less, but Scott has already built around 10 sets and they've only been out a couple of weeks.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are a good looking set of clubs Z745 3-PW with a Z U45 would tempt me. Seriously thinking about some new irons as I still can't get on with the looks of my 825Pro. Until I saw those Srixon I had settled on either going:

TM TPMB 7-PW, MC 3-6, UDI 2i
Mizzy MP69 7-PW, 64 3-6 and keeping my MP-H4 2i

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got to say tommo, bend the, -1* flat and you have ordered exactly the sample spec/combo that I'm looking at, unfortunately I've got to grind something into my swing over the winter and IF it works, these will be brought next year. Great choice sir.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
They are a good looking set of clubs Z745 3-PW with a Z U45 would tempt me. Seriously thinking about some new irons as I still can't get on with the looks of my 825Pro. Until I saw those Srixon I had settled on either going:

TM TPMB 7-PW, MC 3-6, UDI 2i
Mizzy MP69 7-PW, 64 3-6 and keeping my MP-H4 2i

Yeah, they're not just good looking, they go out there. Something you don't normally get with forged irons. I would normally go for the main brands like Titleist TM Callaway Mizuno Ping.

Srixon, I think, really have got a super family of irons and all in one hit......just like waiting on a bus.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
So excited to go to Studley Wood and get fitted for mine. The more reviews I watch/read, the more excited I get about getting them. I can't wait!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
these look interesting- might compare them to the Callaways and Titleists at a fitting this weekend. Think the Nippon are a free upgrade with Cally and Titleist though but the heads are dearer.

Also looking at a combo set but cant do the Scott Gourlkay (or anyone elses) hitting into a sheet.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never had a srixon club of any type in my bag but looking at them with interest, any details on the range as in do they do game improver irons or what are for the higher handicapper player if any?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 545's are the chunkier, game-improvement irons, so worth checking them out. I've had a re-think though, and am gonna steer away from Srixon for the moment, can't justify the £600 pricetag atm. Am thinking G25/30, JPX EZ or X2 Hot's.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The 545's are the chunkier, game-improvement irons, so worth checking them out. I've had a re-think though, and am gonna steer away from Srixon for the moment, can't justify the £600 pricetag atm. Am thinking G25/30, JPX EZ or X2 Hot's.

Dan, may i ask , what's making you thinkning of moving from Nike irons and the Covert 2.0s in particular ?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not thinking of moving from the Covert's, I bought them last night, and was very keen to update my signature :p I had 1998 Callaway Big Bertha X-12's in the bag before last night!

Love the Covert 2.0's, they weren't my initial thought, I was thinking of G30's, or G25's, but I went to the range last night and tried out X2 Hot, JPX EZ, G30 and the Covert 2.0's, and the Coverts were by far the most forgiving, and I loved the ball flight. It came down to the G30 and Coverts, but the Coverts were on offer for £300, so I couldn't say no. I was really keen on the JPX EZ's before trying them, but didn't like looking down at the big off-set. The Nike's had a lovely look down by the ball, and I just loved hitting them. Half the price of the Srixon's too, so definitely glad I've moved to Nike!

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know we're hijacking another thread here but don't shy away from the 4 iron either. I love mine and i'm sure you can buy them individually if you wanted one. Very forgiving indeed and I'd buy a 3 iron if they made one.