2013 USPGA Championship

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Thought I would start a thread for the USPGA Championship this week as can't see general one open anywhere, should be a great week and history of Oak Hill suggests it should be a tough test.

Here's excerpts from my preview

Bill Hass - A winner last month at Congressional in tough conditions and Haas has put together a string of five top tens finishes in his last seven starts. He has shown his ability around tree lined courses with victories at East Lake, Riveria and the abovementioned victory at Congressional in the last three seasons. His best PGA Championship finish is a tie for twelfth in 2011 at Atlanta Athletic Club which increases the appeal as it a similar course to Oak Hill. He has nine top finishes to his name this season which is his best since joining the PGA Tour, he looks well placed to launch a serious bid for his first major this week.

Richard Sterne - It has been a season that Sterne has deserved following a torrid time with injuries. He performed consistently in all events bar his first event of the season. He has a win and two runner finishes to his name and has finished inside the top twenty five in ten of his fourteen starts this season, definitely Mr Consistent. He sits second in the European Tour’s stroke average and was ranked fifth in driving accuracy and greens in regulation when finishing ninth at Firestone last week. He has always been regarded as a top player and having been injury free for a long spell now he will hope to follow in the footsteps of Charl and Louis and bag his first major this week.

Full preview can be found here - http://carlothesportsman.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/2013-uspga-championship-preview/

Any comments and feedback would be appreciated and I look forward to further discussion over the weekend

Last edited:

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nice preview!

For what its worth i ahve backed the following;

Rory McIlroy 33/1 - Surely only a matter of time before he strings 4 good rounds together again, and what better timing than at the tournament were he gained his 2nd major.

Keegan Bradley 33/1 - Another former winner, and someone who looks like his games coming back after a below average start this season.

Jordan Spieth 125/1 - Will be a major winner one day, at 125/1 im hoping it is this week!

Geoff Ogilvy 250/1 - I back Geoff every week he plays, other than a 175/1 2nd earlier in the year, he hasnt done much but i live in hope!

goodluck all who have a flutter!

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice preview!

Rory McIlroy 33/1 - Surely only a matter of time before he strings 4 good rounds together again, and what better timing than at the tournament were he gained his 2nd major.

Keegan Bradley 33/1 - Another former winner, and someone who looks like his games coming back after a below average start this season.

Jordan Spieth 125/1 - Will be a major winner one day, at 125/1 im hoping it is this week!

Geoff Ogilvy 250/1 - I back Geoff every week he plays, other than a 175/1 2nd earlier in the year, he hasnt done much but i live in hope!

Thanks, I don't bet but Jordan Spieth was in my early thoughts but swerved him for my ten as felt he might need the rounds after his two week break, he tends not to play that great the first week back from a break.

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure - he still gets a bit twitchy on a Sunday.....
Kaymer's showing a bit of form as is......

Luuuuke!!!!

I agree with your points re: Kaymer and Donald, though think they are both still getting back to form so this week might be too soon.

Regarding Stenson, I take your point to an extent but it is hard to fault his Sunday performance at Muirfield, had it not been for Mickelson's brilliance he could have easily walked away with his first major. But he has got twitchy around the greens on Sundays this year on the whole when in contention.

MizunoMike

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Would love to see Luke win this one, I here he has been working on a few things and expects a good finish this week.

Rory on the other hand I think his current form will continue and he might fail to make the cut.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tiger, the mans going back into his old ways of being on a different golfing plane to the rest of the field.

I'd like to see an exciting close run Major though with Tiger, Luke, Speith, Bradley, Rose and Joaquin Phoenix in the mix:thup:

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Would love to see Luke win this one, I here he has been working on a few things and expects a good finish this week.

Rory on the other hand I think his current form will continue and he might fail to make the cut.

I do think regardless on what Luke has been working on, he doesn't have the game to win a major, for whatever reason he has not really seriously contended at the business end of major and that is telling for me. Can that change, of course it can but I personally don't think it will.

As for Rory, sometimes I listen to him and think he is on a different planet to the rest of us. He has been saying for months that his game is almost there but there is little evidence of this on course, his short iron is in serious need of examination, I have lost count of how many times he has been 10-20 yards out with those clubs.

I am not one to criticise his work ethic or time spent off the course, its his decision and I don't feel that is the problem. I have said it before and will probably be saying it for a while, his course management when he is not fully on is not good enough for his talent. He can't turn a 77 into a 73 in the way Tiger, Phil (most of the time) and other greats could. For me that is mainly down to the lack of experience from himself and JP, despite his experience, can't seem to improve Rory's course management.

Last edited:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger, the mans going back into his old ways of being on a different golfing plane to the rest of the field.

I'd like to see an exciting close run Major though with Tiger, Joaquin Phoenix in the mix:thup:

Didn't Joaquin Phoenix lose to Marcus Aurelis in Gladiator, I dont think he'll come back from that drubbing!!

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Keegan Bradley, Jordan Spieth, Billy Horschel for me, but I do think Woods is the man to beat this week....

Bradley seems to come alive at this time of the year, not sure he'll win his second major this week but look out for him at Liberty National in a fortnight, I think that course will really suit him. Spieth, very talented but perhaps short of experience to geniunely contend this week but who knows. Horschel, similar to Bradley, I can see him having a good week but not win it, I have earmarked him for East Lake already should he get there

My_HarrisTweed_Cap

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
£300 on Adam Scott. £150 e/w @ 19/1

I'll offset that with some pennies thrown onto groupings each day. Still tempted to put a monkey split e/w on Big Hunter Mahan.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
£300 on Adam Scott. £150 e/w @ 19/1

I'll offset that with some pennies thrown onto groupings each day. Still tempted to put a monkey split e/w on Big Hunter Mahan.

Good luck with that...

I have the odd flutter but thats out of my realm of a comfortable bet...

Honestly have no real idea whose going to win this one but on form its hard to see past Tiger and would like to see him do it. But if not him would love to see either Kaymer or Fowler win it but neither is in greatest form

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice preview!

Can you post when you are NOT backing Ogilvy please? :whoo:

Spieth looks good value!