2 iron. Hybrid or 5 wood!!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I have been using a 2 iron in the bag for around 18 months, recently got a new hybrid and 2 iron for to interchange when I felt like it, anyway, I don’t think that’s going to work for me.
I like the two iron off the tee as an added option, but the new 2 iron off the deck isn’t as easy hit as the old one! And whilst I like the hybrid off the deck i can’t use one from the tee box as well.
I only have space for one, so I thought maybe a 5 wood, as I love my 3 wood off the deck and tee.
Any one have experiences similar ? Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Which hybrid is it?
With your ( assumed) swing speed being fairly generous, you might find the 5 wood spins too much unless you get a specific low spin version (sub-zero for example)
If the hybrid is a fairly chunky one, you may find a slimmer "Tour" model may help
I had the Apex hybrid and, although it was eventually a bit much for me, off there's and deck it was a rocket - and not much of a hint of a hook either!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So, I have been using a 2 iron in the bag for around 18 months, recently got a new hybrid and 2 iron for to interchange when I felt like it, anyway, I don’t think that’s going to work for me.
I like the two iron off the tee as an added option, but the new 2 iron off the deck isn’t as easy hit as the old one! And whilst I like the hybrid off the deck i can’t use one from the tee box as well.
I only have space for one, so I thought maybe a 5 wood, as I love my 3 wood off the deck and tee.
Any one have experiences similar ? Thanks

Without intending to come across as taking the proverbial, if you like the hybrid off the deck but not the tee why not just place the ball on the deck on the tee and use the hybrid that way?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks imurg it’s a 818h2 I went for but was the same with the i20 I used to have and the m2 one as well.
Not really sure what my issue off the tee is with them maybe should just practice a bit more with it!
I haven’t used a five wood for years so I would have to try a few and see the numbers, low spin would be a must, my driver swing is around 108-110 and I generate too much spin, I also get quite steep into the ball which doesn’t help the spin rates!
Thanks gm, I think we have a few demo clubs at the golf club so might try to get one out on the course

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Bim, , that was y I said tee box and not tee, think it’s a mental issue off the box not the peg! Sorry I never made it clear, but thanks for the idea.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi Bim, , that was y I said tee box and not tee, think it’s a mental issue off the box not the peg! Sorry I never made it clear, but thanks for the idea.

Missed that bit, sorry. Thought there would be a reason but couldn't think what it was hence the ask. Good luck with sorting it, sorry I didn't help.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve tried variations of each and have come full circle to a five wood. Depends on where you play most of your golf of course but a 5w is pretty versatile and reliable for most folks.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends on your swing.

I've bought a hybrid but can't really hit it that well, and would probably prefer a forgiving 2/3 iron, something like the Mizuno Fli-Hi or similar.

There was an article on GolfWRX a long time ago, I can't seem to find but googling something similar to 'GolfWRX long iron swing speeds' gives an article where a club fitter gave recommendations based on swing speed with 4 iron/driver etc as to whether you should long iron or hybrid.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take it you go 4-PW?
If i want to throw in the 2 iron (Driver, 5 wood & 3 hybrid top end) I drop my 4 iron. Leaves a slight gap down from hybrid but nothing choking down doesn't cover.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on your swing.

I've bought a hybrid but can't really hit it that well, and would probably prefer a forgiving 2/3 iron, something like the Mizuno Fli-Hi or similar.

There was an article on GolfWRX a long time ago, I can't seem to find but googling something similar to 'GolfWRX long iron swing speeds' gives an article where a club fitter gave recommendations based on swing speed with 4 iron/driver etc as to whether you should long iron or hybrid.

I read an article written by Tom Wishon and it was similar I think. A hybrid is a club that promotes higher launch, which is great for those with slower swing speeds who would tend to struggle getting a long iron up into the air. If you have a fast swing speed then that's not so much of an issue and you can use long irons if you wish.

Of course there are other issues such as forgiveness, distance and spin; but that may be the area you are thinking of

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose its the conditions and what type of shots you are going to be playing. if i was at a parkland course no doubt i might have a 5 wood (not had one for the last 12 years of being a member of a links course. i always found though it was easy to hit off the deck, i struggled off the tee with it and always went too high.

I have a couple of 2 irons and use those depending on where and when i'm playing. But i also have a 2 hybrid which can almost do the same job, apart from maybe this badboy2 iron 2.jpg which will go very low and run for miles, use this if I'm ever playing at Fortrose and sometimes Tain.

But i can get away with the xhot2pro 18deg hybrid most of the time it will do high/low as long as i'm swinging well.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will have a wee look for the articles, thanks!
Taking out the 4 iron is an option, I dont need to use it much, so certainly worth considering, thanks
nice butter knife Patrick :O haha its mostly parkland, if I were to play links the 2 iron would be spot on, I have no issues launching the ball, I like to see a lower flight, but thats my preference, maybe should just go back the old style 2 iron I had ! oh dear!

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Will have a wee look for the articles, thanks!
Taking out the 4 iron is an option, I dont need to use it much, so certainly worth considering, thanks
nice butter knife Patrick :O haha its mostly parkland, if I were to play links the 2 iron would be spot on, I have no issues launching the ball, I like to see a lower flight, but thats my preference, maybe should just go back the old style 2 iron I had ! oh dear!

In a similar boat to this myself at the minute...

When I started back a few years ago I picked up a cheap 17deg 909h as they weren't really too common when I stopped playing and had never tried a hybrid/rescue before. Thought it was a weapon, and still can be, but like yourself I can struggle with it off the tee now (a big high hook!) so don't really have the faith in it to fall back on as a go-to club when I need to keep one down the middle. Hence I'm leaning towards some sort of utility driving iron, but my head's melted with the options!

Initial decision was a 716 T-MB 2-iron, but then thinking a 3 might do rightly as it should still be plenty long. Then started looking for the older 712u as it's supposed to be lower launching which would suit me better. Then read on here about alternatives from other brands which I hadn't even considered (being a bit of a Titleist fanboy)...

The old DCI 2-iron I carried as a junior back in the day could be getting a new grip at this rate! :confused: :confused:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
i sometimes wonder if thats the problem Gary as there is so much choice out there! I still dont know what to do, I went to range yesterday, hit both 2i and Hybrid, the 5 wood they had at the course was a reg shaft so no good, I am up at Belvoir for a lesson on friday, so Im gonna ask Chris if he has any 5 wood options to try! it is a minefield!

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
I play off scratch and just took out my 4 iron out and replaced it with a 24degrees hybrid. My swing speed is quite high (107mph with driver), yet with the advance in technology long iron are destined to history in my view, save for the guys with very high swing speeds (114mph+). The hybrid launches higher and spins like a 6 iron, which means I'm able to hold the ball a lot more when I go for greens from 200yds. If you pay attention to senior events, where swings speeds are probably closer to what good amateurs are producing, you will see the vast majority of guys don't use long irons.

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
i sometimes wonder if thats the problem Gary as there is so much choice out there! I still dont know what to do, I went to range yesterday, hit both 2i and Hybrid, the 5 wood they had at the course was a reg shaft so no good, I am up at Belvoir for a lesson on friday, so Im gonna ask Chris if he has any 5 wood options to try! it is a minefield!

Seems to be alright! The advances in equipment during my time away from the game seem to have been monumental, so I'm still only getting caught up really. Ideally I'd love to get a try of a handful of them, but our options are pretty limited locally. Also, I'd be a 'second-hand market only' man to be honest (cheap and proud! ,:D ) so again they can be hard to come by. I was in the Golf Spot in Bangor a couple of weeks ago and they had a second hand T-MB 2-iron, but I got their opening times wrong and they were literally turning off the lights so didn't get a good swing at it. Regret not taking it anyway as the asking price was less than the eBay going rate, so I wouldn't have lost even if it didn't work out for me.

Is Belvoir your club by the way mate? We'd normally play our company golf day up there in September, but couldn't get a suitable date last year so I'm trying to push them to get one organised over the next month or two in it's place!