2 faced chippers

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
And all of that is not comparable to using an illegal club.

I agree, they have much more effect on the score than using one side of a 2 sided chipper. If your friend said to you he was thinking of getting one, so he bought a double faced cheap dunlop one to use for a round or two before he splashed out for a proper one. Would you refuse to let him?
If he is using one side only, what benefit does that have over an exspensive one with only 1 face that is legal? when is a face no longer defined as a face?

It's not something I want to see, as to some people the temptation to cheat would be too much, as upsetting as that sounds! I've said all I need to say on it, but my point is. people break the rules in fun rounds all the time, as mentioned in my previous post. But as soon as a double faced chipper is mentioned people show massive resistance. Even if the club in question can be easily used in a way that would make it legal.

End of the day it's a friendly game, as long as all players are aware of the rules before the start, all is fine by me! I know some people purists won't like it. But to them I say go play a round with loads of silly rules, it's a hell of a laugh!

D

Deleted member 15344

I would tell him not to buy one as its an illegal club and wouldn't be allowed to use it in the comps or our swindles.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Ok going round in circles and repeating yourselves.
It wouldn't personally worry me if someone was using an illegal or non conforming club in a friendly bounce game, with mates, although I would point it out to him if I was aware of it.
but absolutely not in a comp or if any cash is at stake,

Why buy a chipper when you have a perfectly good 7 or 8 iron to hand, use it with a putting action from just off the green, job done :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
T
It is obvious to me, if you had read my post you would see I even mentioned it was illegal. As for "insulting" i'm sure Rosecott is fine, and can speak up for himself.

I have no problems if people want to play by all the rules in a friendly hit about. I won't play with them, as I don't find it relaxing.

Having a chipper with 2 faces and only using one side of it, will not effect on the outcome of the match. People give out advice/yardages, use DMD's with Slope/weather info and drop and work out penalties incorrectly. These are "fine" to most people in friendly games, and have way more effect on the outcome.

So, where would you say " Hey that's against the rules and a penalty" In a game?

Also, I play loads of games with loads of different people and I've never actually seen a DMD with a slope reader on it, how many have you seen?

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
T

So, where would you say " Hey that's against the rules and a penalty" In a game?

Also, I play loads of games with loads of different people and I've never actually seen a DMD with a slope reader on it, how many have you seen?
I think Dan is bis being ganged up on here, in my mind he is simply quoting the common rule breakers that happen every weekend either with or without a players knowledge
How many can honestly say they have called a penalty on thamselves ie ball has moved while addressing in the rough, quite common or while clearing debris around the ball which then moves
Is anyone playing with a slightly damaged club, if you are you can be D/Q'd but only if you call it to the comp officials
Dan knows the 2 faced chipper is illegal in comps, he's not arguing with the fact, only stating this isn't the only misdemeanour that happens

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Going back to the Op, yeah finding a left handed chipper will be tough and double sided may be your only option for your social games but won’t help you for comps as you know (might be worse if you begin to rely on it for social golf then you’ll miss it more in a comp)

Yes there are other clubs in the bag that can be used for chipping but that’s not what they were designed for so more practice would be required to get the technique right but might be ultimately more rewarding though (although through the learning process there will no doubt be duffs that add to your score on any given day that might not have failed with a chipper)

I think most in the thread intend to play by the rules in social golf (even with side bets) but there is a hell of a lot of breaches happening every day, from gimmie’s to tossing a ball down rather than dropping from shoulder height, from asking/giving advice to using club head to move the ball under preferred lies...etc, it’s much more common than folks might want to admit!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think Dan is bis being ganged up on here, in my mind he is simply quoting the common rule breakers that happen every weekend either with or without a players knowledge
How many can honestly say they have called a penalty on thamselves ie ball has moved while addressing in the rough, quite common or while clearing debris around the ball which then moves
Is anyone playing with a slightly damaged club, if you are you can be D/Q'd but only if you call it to the comp officials
Dan knows the 2 faced chipper is illegal in comps, he's not arguing with the fact, only stating this isn't the only misdemeanour that happens

I suppose it's where the line is drawn.
First, how serious is the friendly game ie money at stake, swindle, just a casual walk round practicing? If. It's a serious friendly as in a swindle or money at stake, I would expect the equipment used and basic rules to be observed, if it was a practice round with a pot of tea at the end as a prize I'd certainly not be particularly pedantic. I think Dan was suggesting that all non competition rounds are played with the rules being treated very loosely which is not what I generally see

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I suppose it's where the line is drawn.
First, how serious is the friendly game ie money at stake, swindle, just a casual walk round practicing? If. It's a serious friendly as in a swindle or money at stake, I would expect the equipment used and basic rules to be observed, if it was a practice round with a pot of tea at the end as a prize I'd certainly not be particularly pedantic. I think Dan was suggesting that all non competition rounds are played with the rules being treated very loosely which is not what I generally see

No gimmies even in a non-comp money game, that's diff to what i see

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The easiest way around this apparent conundrum is to buy the cheap two-faced chipper and try it on the practice ground to see if its what you really want. If it is, buy a single faced one for use when playing.

Even the better quality ones are not extortionately priced and both left and right handed ones are available.

By the way, take a look at the Cleveland Niblick Chipper. It is a very versatile club for the short game and doesn't seem to carry quite so much of the stigma that people often associate with using a chipper.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The easiest way around this apparent conundrum is to buy the cheap two-faced chipper and try it on the practice ground to see if its what you really want. If it is, buy a single faced one for use when playing.

Even the better quality ones are not extortionately priced and both left and right handed ones are available.

By the way, take a look at the Cleveland Niblick Chipper. It is a very versatile club for the short game and doesn't seem to carry quite so much of the stigma that people often associate with using a chipper.

You should never attach stigma to a club... it can make it non-conforming :D