2 faced chippers

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know these clubs are illegal in competition play, a small club where I sometimes play a few use them in comps. When I asked why they were using them the answer was that they count as 2 clubs, which is wrong, but I didn't rock the boat.
They are deadly for accuracy from the fringe . What I was wondering if I was to buy one as they are quite cheap and put something on the face I don't use, would that make it a legal club.
Any thoughts

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, it wouldn't make it legal.

Why would you buy a 2 faced chipper, rather than a single faced one anyway?

The legality of others playing with the clubs and you keeping quite about it, is a whole other discussion!!!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've always been a bit troubled by phrases such as "illegal in competition". If it's illegal, it's illegal - end of story. The argument that it's different if you are playing friendly games, roll-ups etc. doesn't sit easily with me. If I'm playing you for a quid, my expectation would be that you played by all the rules of the game - including those relating to equipment.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, it wouldn't make it legal.

Why would you buy a 2 faced chipper, rather than a single faced one anyway?

The legality of others playing with the clubs and you keeping quite about it, is a whole other discussion!!!
Just the cost to try it (dunlop £8).Yes I know I should have blown the whistle so that makes me as guilty as they are, but it's only a has a 60 membership and about 20 -25 play in comps, so I wouldnt have been welcome back

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I've always been a bit troubled by phrases such as "illegal in competition". If it's illegal, it's illegal - end of story. The argument that it's different if you are playing friendly games, roll-ups etc. doesn't sit easily with me. If I'm playing you for a quid, my expectation would be that you played by all the rules of the game - including those relating to equipment.

Or you could not be a Richard, it hardly sounds a friendly round. A simple request to only use one side of the face would suffice.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or you could not be a Richard, it hardly sounds a friendly round. A simple request to only use one side of the face would suffice.

Whatever you may think of me, the club in question is specifically declared illegal in the rules. By your analogy it would be OK if someone was using:

Illegal driver (over 4 feet long, over 460cc, etc)- OK but don't hit it very hard.

Illegal wedge (the ones that shred balls) - OK but don't get it too close.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Whatever you may think of me, the club in question is specifically declared illegal in the rules. By your analogy it would be OK if someone was using:

Illegal driver (over 4 feet long, over 460cc, etc)- OK but don't hit it very hard.

Illegal wedge (the ones that shred balls) - OK but don't get it too close.

No, You can't objectively measure and ensure someone meets the criteria you set, the examples you've given are in no way similar.

the thing that is illegal about the 2 sided face, is it having two faces. You can objectively and completely remove one of the faces simply by not using it. making it comparable to a legal club.

You're off 18, the game should be fun. Some people just take it too seriously.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's an illegal club - saying "I wont use the other side" doesn't stop it being an illegal club - the rule is quite simple

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, You can't objectively measure and ensure someone meets the criteria you set, the examples you've given are in no way similar.

the thing that is illegal about the 2 sided face, is it having two faces. You can objectively and completely remove one of the faces simply by not using it. making it comparable to a legal club.

You're off 18, the game should be fun. Some people just take it too seriously.
Sorry to start a war chaps. The course in question is a 9 hole double tee and a dirt cheap membership fee with the average handicap about 20. It's on a school playing field with goal posts all around the field
Hardly a place to start laying down the law
My post was originally to see if I could make one face unusable to make it legal ie solder or braze a piece of metal to it

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not sure what difference what sort of place the golf club is - the club is illegal , you can't cover the face to make it legal and you need make your competition organisers aware that people are using these clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well done Phil, you've managed to restate the obvious.

Well it's clear its not obvious to you after insulting someone because they would prefer to play within the rules.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Well it's clear its not obvious to you after insulting someone because they would prefer to play within the rules.

It is obvious to me, if you had read my post you would see I even mentioned it was illegal. As for "insulting" i'm sure Rosecott is fine, and can speak up for himself.

I have no problems if people want to play by all the rules in a friendly hit about. I won't play with them, as I don't find it relaxing.

Having a chipper with 2 faces and only using one side of it, will not effect on the outcome of the match. People give out advice/yardages, use DMD's with Slope/weather info and drop and work out penalties incorrectly. These are "fine" to most people in friendly games, and have way more effect on the outcome.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is obvious to me, if you had read my post you would see I even mentioned it was illegal. As for "insulting" i'm sure Rosecott is fine, and can speak up for himself.

I have no problems if people want to play by all the rules in a friendly hit about. I won't play with them, as I don't find it relaxing.

Having a chipper with 2 faces and only using one side of it, will not effect on the outcome of the match. People give out advice/yardages, use DMD's with Slope/weather info and drop and work out penalties incorrectly. These are "fine" to most people in friendly games, and have way more effect on the outcome.

Giving yardage is not illegal

I dont know anyone who uses a DMD with slope

Everyone I know plays drops and penalties correctly

Everyone I play with in friendlies plays within the rules and still very relaxing

Mights as well all the rules to be broken then if that's the only way you relax - how do you play in a comp with all those pesky rules getting in the way of your enjoyment. If you can't relax because someone wants to play within the rules then I would be wary of playing in a comp - habits can easily grow.

D

Deleted member 15344

Shame it's right handed as I'm a lefty, always my problem
i haven't got the heart to call a 66 year old pensioner a cheat who has mobility problems and a heart condition

If it's in official Congu recognised comps with Handicaps on the line then it's your responsibility to make the correct people aware of the rule break - regardless of the golfer - harsh as it may seem but ignore it and I believe you also could be DQ'ed

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Giving yardage is not illegal

I dont know anyone who uses a DMD with slope

Everyone I know plays drops and penalties correctly

Everyone I play with in friendlies plays within the rules and still very relaxing

Mights as well all the rules to be broken then if that's the only way you relax - how do you play in a comp with all those pesky rules getting in the way of your enjoyment. If you can't relax because someone wants to play within the rules then I would be wary of playing in a comp - habits can easily grow.

You've never asked what club someone is hitting? What shot they are planning to hit?

If your playing with a friend and he's doing something blatantly obvious which is making him play badly, you've never mentioned it?

If someone's come to play at your track. You've never told them where the safe miss is? or any other advice that might help your friend that doesn't play on it regularly? Or argued about which way the wind is going?

Pro's on tour make mistakes with penalties and drops, I sincerely doubt "everyone you know plays drops and penalties correctly". That's not even mentioning the guy on the 18th who drives it into the tree's, and someone utters "i saw it down, don't worry". Everyone you know has always walked the long walk back to the tee when the ball is inevitably lost?

If all the above is correct then fair play, I just don't think i'd like playing with you.

People use DMD's with slope etc, what's your view on them?

If theres no money on it, I just want everyone in my group to be playing well and enjoying themselves. I don't play many comps, I do enjoy the test, and have no problem following the rules. But then you go into them with a totally different goal and mindset.

D

Deleted member 15344

And all of that is not comparable to using an illegal club.

I go into every round with the mindset of enjoyment but wouldn't allow someone to use an illegals club regardless of the situation of the game

Just as I wouldn't allow them to use illegal balls or wedges or drivers

People will have the correct drops

People can still enjoy the game and play within the rules and use the correct equipment.