2 Comps, 1 Round?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Having quoted 33-1, here's a pragmatic thought. If you both agree - and tell no-one else apart from all the forummers here - to play the medal under strokeplay rules, and decide the outcome of each hole on the score achieved, you could have a matchplay outcome. Don't tell anyone else I suggested it.

I've heard of this being done before by a couple of guys at my previous club.

TBH, most club secretaries aren't really too interested in how a tie is decided, ignorance is bliss and all that, they just want to see all the matches completed by the deadline.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can sympathise with this as imo anything is better than either both forfeiting because of an unplayed tie or spinning a coin etc to decide who goes through.

As long as the medal takes priority ie. no gimmies, and both players understand that they might have conflicting decisions to make ie. have a 20' putt and having to choose between lagging it for the medal or taking a run at it for a half, then I think it's by far the lesser of 2 evils.

And no, I wouldn't kick a ball out of the rough. ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Instead of tossing a coin, and if you dont have time for a seperate match, you could agree that whoever gets the better nett medal score goes through.

Just a thought.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
When was the initial draw made and when has the match to be played by

Well, our problems started when we had to cancel at short notice the original date we'd planned to play. So it's not as if we didn't arrange it soon enough. There's still a week to go but that coincides with club championships so getting on the course might be tricky.

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As its matchplay even if you tee off at 6pm at night you will get round no problem I myself have already won my first round match not due to be completed while next month as the quicke you play them less chance you have of the problems you are having

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
As its matchplay even if you tee off at 6pm at night you will get round no problem I myself have already won my first round match not due to be completed while next month as the quicke you play them less chance you have of the problems you are having

Championship next week - matches played in the evenings and I'll be playing in at least one and (hopefully) three of them.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hurrah! Opponent has taken time off work this afternoon so we're going to get this played. She won the medal at the weekend and got two shots cut from her handicap, which helps.... but I'm still giving 9 strokes.... and she's obviously on form.

Worryingly, I've got club championship matchplay tomorrow so I'm not terribly focussed on this tie.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
slap me if this is a really silly question, but is stableford classed as strokeplay? and therfore as 33-1 only talks about you cannot pay strokeplay and matchplay, could you play stableford and matchplay?

again def not at all, ever recommended unless last resort due to the different strategies, but just wondering in terms of rules.

p.s. if it is daft i blame the numerous articles you see on strokepay v stableford for confusing my little brain!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having quoted 33-1, here's a pragmatic thought. If you both agree - and tell no-one else apart from all the forummers here - to play the medal under strokeplay rules, and decide the outcome of each hole on the score achieved, you could have a matchplay outcome. Don't tell anyone else I suggested it.

Which other Rules would you suggest they might as well ignore? May as well just agree to matchplay gimmes counting for the stroke play score? There must be others that would be just too inconvenient to bother about. :mmm:

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which other Rules would you suggest they might as well ignore? May as well just agree to matchplay gimmes counting for the stroke play score? There must be others that would be just too inconvenient to bother about. :mmm:

it is perfectly acceptable under to rules to do what Rosecott suggests - with one small, but important, twist.

you are permitted to agree any basis to establish who is going to concede the tie; any at all from tossing a coin to how fast you can drink a pint! therefore you simply agree that the player who would have lost (but didn't) on the basis of matchplay via the card will concede the match.

the difference is subtle but important.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is perfectly acceptable under to rules to do what Rosecott suggests - with one small, but important, twist.

you are permitted to agree any basis to establish who is going to concede the tie; any at all from tossing a coin to how fast you can drink a pint! therefore you simply agree that the player who would have lost (but didn't) on the basis of matchplay via the card will concede the match.

the difference is subtle but important.
Not really Matchplay though is it ;)

Taking away the gamesmanship of Matchplay really doesn't do it for me, I'd rather toss a coin than do it that way.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had to do this recently. We played as if we were just out in the medal but kept the mythical matchplay score as well.

Apart from the conflict in shot choices occasionally, it just didn't feel like a matchplay match and totally lacked any tension until around the 16th/17th hole, so I wouldn't want to do it again. Better than spinning a coin or both forfeiting due to not determining a result in time though.

Strangely, in the medal his nett score was 74 against my 75, but I got through in the matchplay 1 up.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about "playing in the medal" but actually doing nothing but matchplay and then NR your medal cards?
Very naughty I know!