2 balls putted on the green both rolling colliding

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing stableford thursday and it was my putt but unknown to me my playing partner was putting simultaneously,his ball reach the cup and lipped out at 90 degrees striking my ball approaching the hole .
I Called a penalty on myself but what is the correct ruling . Does it matter whos honours it was and who started putting first?
HELP

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am pretty sure that if both balls were on putting green when the stroke was made, and both were in motion, then there is no penalty but the stroke is cancelled and ball has to be replaced on its original spot and the stroke replayed. Which in the case described would mean both players do the same thing.

Ps. Rules 11.1a and 11.1b

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Backwoodsman says

Exception 2 – When Ball Played from Putting Green Accidentally Hits Any Person, Animal or Movable Obstruction (Including Another Ball in Motion) on Putting Green: The stroke does not count and the original ball or another ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), except in these two cases:

You only get a penalty if you hit another ball at rest.

However you would get the general penalty (2 strokes) for failing to follow the correct procedure and playing from the wrong place with your next shot.

Same applies to the other player.