15 Clubs

The Dog.

Visit site
For over a decade I only carried 13 clubs and never felt the urge to have another one in the bag as I didn’t need it. How things change! Now, I would really like to be able to carry 15 as I genuinely feel I need a 3 iron and 5 wood, plus a PW, 50 degree wedge, 54 degree wedge and a lob wedge.

I never thought this would be the case as have always thought too many wedges spoil the broth but have either evolved as a golfer, succumbed to marketing nonsense or am entirely wrong.

Does anyone else wish they could stick another stick in their bag?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play with 12 and then 13 a few years back, but have had 14 for a few years now, and I think my set-up is fine. I don't have any gaps where another club would be useful. If anything, with only a little bit of shifting I could easily get back to 13 clubs if I wanted to. My 7 wood and 23 hybrid are reasonably similar distance I think (haven't tested properly yet), plus I have quite a few wedges plugging gaps whereas if I started again with them I could probably make it one fewer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm quite happy with 14 clubs, if I could though, I'd add the 4 iron back in. It goes pretty much the same distance as my 22° hybrid but I like it off the tee on a few particular shots, especially our par 3 18th at 198 yards from the back marker

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could just as easily go back in the number of clubs. It makes choosing which club easier.

I carry 14 because I can yet and I often go a few rounds with not using some of the clubs in the bag.

Increase the degree gap between irons (say go from 4 deg to 6 deg) and it would be easy to back to about 10 clubs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I 've actually dropped a club since changing my irons, used to have 3 to pw, my new irons are stronger, so 4 is more or less the same. Is isn't much stronger so stuck with 52/58

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have 13 and funny enough I'm contemplating either going for 4 wedges PW/GW/SW/LW or putting a 7 wood or hybrid in the bag.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a 3 clubs and putter comp at the weekend and most scores were only about 3/4 points below what you would expect in a normal competition so maybe the answer is less clubs not more? Maybe we make this simple game far too complicated?
I have recently played a round with only 10 clubs in the bag and got exactly the same score as I did in the rounds before and after it. :LOL:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
at the moment i have 13 clubs - diver, 2 iron, 4-PW, 50/56/60 degree wedges plus putter.

i was thinking of putting my hybrid in but after spraying it all over the place at the range on sunday its gone back in the cupboard

AAC

Visit site
I pottered out with 7 clubs ion Sunday evening, no discernable deterioration in my game, it was still rubbish. As has been said I generally have 14 clubs because that's what's allowed, I often do not use a few of them during the round

RichA

Visit site
My best round ever was done with 5 clubs and nothing longer than a 7 iron, yet I persist in carrying 14.
Given 15 clubs I'd be carrying my 60° and adding 9 wasted shots to every round.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I think, in my mind anyway, that the decrease in loft of many iron sets means that 4 wedges have become necessary. With a 44degree PW not being unusual, I carry a 48, 52 and 56 degree wedges as well so am a bit thin at the top end of the bag.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For over a decade I only carried 13 clubs and never felt the urge to have another one in the bag as I didn’t need it. How things change! Now, I would really like to be able to carry 15 as I genuinely feel I need a 3 iron and 5 wood, plus a PW, 50 degree wedge, 54 degree wedge and a lob wedge.

I never thought this would be the case as have always thought too many wedges spoil the broth but have either evolved as a golfer, succumbed to marketing nonsense or am entirely wrong.

Does anyone else wish they could stick another stick in their bag?

Why not drop one of the 4 5 or 6 iron. The one you tend to hit the least.

The Dog.

Visit site
Sadly I think, in my mind anyway, that the decrease in loft of many iron sets means that 4 wedges have become necessary. With a 44degree PW not being unusual, I carry a 48, 52 and 56 degree wedges as well so am a bit thin at the top end of the bag.

I have the same problem. A Callaway Apex Pro pitching wedge at 45 degrees of loft meaning a normal full shot is 130 yards.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am happy with 14. As with others, I have scored 30+ points in a “five clubs only” round and often play a round without using 3 or 4 of my clubs. However, I guess I like having 14 “just in case” and, as I have a trolley, the extra clubs pose no problem. If anything, I would reduce the number rather than increase it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am happy with 14. As with others, I have scored 30+ points in a “five clubs only” round and often play a round without using 3 or 4 of my clubs. However, I guess I like having 14 “just in case” and, as I have a trolley, the extra clubs pose no problem. If anything, I would reduce the number rather than increase it.
Yeah I think we could all cope with less, but if the upper limit is 14 then you might as well take anything you might use. If I counted up roughly how many times I use each club in a round, at least four of the clubs probably only get used between 1 and 3 times in 18 holes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I carry 13 at the moment.

Driver, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, 52, 56, 60, Putter

Big gap between my PW and my 52 degree that im considering plugging due to my Irons being very strong lofted - 42 degree PW!!!

Dont carry any woods but do carry 2 hybrids, so I've got plenty of wiggle room! 4H is great out the rough, 3H is much better off the tee. Could replace with a 3W at some point but not so fussed!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I pottered out with 7 clubs ion Sunday evening, no discernable deterioration in my game, it was still rubbish. As has been said I generally have 14 clubs because that's what's allowed, I often do not use a few of them during the round
my summer evening carry set is putter 56 p 8 6 7w driver. I'm playing just fine with it.