Hacker
Visit site
Irons: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184371797768

Wood: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184368223386

Hybrid:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154015573240

Putter:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154015398769

Just add a bag, glove and a pair of shoes and you're done. Ignore the driver for the minute.

The above are good quality and will last and even hold a bit of value when moving them on. These are good examples of equipment that will give you a great start.

Starter sets save on hassle of shopping around but generally are cheap for a reason.

Welcome to the game?

Sully

Visit site
Pretty much was in the same boat around 8 months ago however have joined a club and had lessons so maybe a little ahead of you.

eBay - picked up the putter listed above Odessy 2 ball £44
Irons - callaway edge £67
Hybrid , wood and driver all Ping G series - I splurged here and paid £80, £100 and £90 for immaculate ones.
callaway hyper lite bag

eBay has been great .

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I find the golf second hand market to be excellent and this is mainly due to people taking it up an finding it too hard then giving up.
I also find that you know pretty quickly if it's for you - if it is you'll be hooked from then on, and if it's not you'll not give it a second thought once you give it up.

Therefore I'd never recommend anyone spend fortunes before they know if they are going to keep it up.

Check eBay, Gumtree, Golfbidder etc and you'll likely find a good second hand set within your budget.

Also, check out your local golf club pro shops as they usually have a few second hand sets in.

Pickles

Hacker
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks everyone for the replies so far;-

Orikoru - I’ve had Decathlon stuff before and it’s always been pretty good for the money, that starter set would also mean I have a bit of money left over for anything else I might need.

Pickles - Thank you for taking the time to go through ebay and pick out some equipment for me, is there anything I need to know when it comes to buying second hand (additionally, why should I avoid a driver for now?).

Sully - All going well I’ll probably look to have some coaching myself as I’ve found it’s helpful in other sports.

Jim8flog - Going by that I’ve come out as; Colour Code: Blue // Club Length: -0.5” (this means nothing to me haha!). Are you able to talk me through what it means?

Jonny1409 - I never thought of trying the local pro shop tbh, that might be a good idea and after months of lockdown I’m sure they’ll have a few things they would like to shift before the season is over. Is there anything I should know when it comes to second hand?

Thanks again,
R

A lot of people will jump into a driver straight away and it can be detrimental. Longer clubs with lower lofts are harder to use correctly. A 3/4 wood is a good starting place to gone your skills before stepping up.

sammyboy

Visit site
One of the guys just dropped the following into our WhatsApp group (didn’t realise Amazon did golf clubs), it’s a bit beyond my price bracket but are any of them worth adding individually to my bag?

View attachment 31710

No. You could get far far better on ebay or a gold website for the same or less money. Brands bring out new clubs like clothing stores change fashions. And you can get last years models for a fraction of the newer models RRP.

Jimbob66

Visit site

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I agree with the second hand route, you can kit yourself out for under £40 worth of playable clubs and then after a few months invest more money with the knowledge you've now gained.

ebay is great and if you can collect you'll get a better bargain as most people can't be bothered to post if they think the clubs are low value.
If you go on ebay, into Golf, Golf clubs, type "set" and filter on "nearest first" (you'll need to put in your location). Then just go through them until you find a set you like, come back here for a check if unsure.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Howson-golf-club-set/324232885545?hash=item4b7dc93529:g:sQwAAOSwe0RfCJnz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forgan-G...663159?hash=item2640f6a4f7:g:l9QAAOSwTJ1fFac7

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're just getting into the game, get a package set, some balls, tees, shoes and get cracking on the course. Sports direct/clubhouse golf/american golf etc are good starting points. Once you've figured if you like golf and want to get into it properly then look at individual clubs/building a set. Get out there, have fun.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks everyone for the replies so far;-

Jim8flog - Going by that I’ve come out as; Colour Code: Blue // Club Length: -0.5” (this means nothing to me haha!). Are you able to talk me through what it means?

Thanks again,
R

Lie It means with a standard set of clubs you might find a tendency for the club toe to dig in the ground causing the ball to go right of target.

The length is not so important as you can grip a bit lower on a standard shaft to compensate.

https://practical-golf.com/lie-angle/#:~:text=After you make impact the,your lie angle is correct.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I started out about 18 months/2 years ago, with a break in the middle.

I was in a similar position where I wasn't sure whether to buy a package set for about £200 or buy brand new.

I went to a shop with a driving range attached, and tried both.

The package set club (think it was Wilson but was a while ago) felt really weak and flimsy. Felt almost like it would snap every time I hit a shot.

I went for the used option.

Spent £60 on a 4-PW set of irons
£66 on a driver
£50 on a putter but that was brand new
£40 on a 3 wood
And £28 on a hybrid

Looking back, I would probably have got the irons, putter and 3 wood, and waited for the rest if I was to do it again. Had a bad slice with my driver when I started, and used to use the 3 wood off the tee or lot. I could get 200 yards and straight off the tee so any beginner would be fine with that

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf bidder might be bargain ATM heard a strong rumour their closing .. well being taken over by a Canadian firm

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would be interested in how reliable you think that source is?

Got it from my boss who's mate works either in the industry or for them.. he said to him if you want any clubs let me know I still get my discount (so assume works for them?) He was telling me how he picked up a sim driver so cheap etc

Fabia999

Visit site
I’ve found a set of Callaway Diablo Edge irons on Facebook Marketplace for £120, how do these compare to the X20 ones posted by Pickles (are they worth making a £30 saving, or are they considerably worse?)

Also, what do people think of Facebook for buying stuff like this as there seems to be loads more available than I can find near me on eBay?

I won't pretend I know an answer to your comparison question, so I'll let someone with more knowledge answer it. However, I think facebook marketplace is a good idea, it's the same as most other online platforms where you can get scammed so be vigilant and you should be okay! Good luck

Fabia999

Visit site
Got it from my boss who's mate works either in the industry or for them.. he said to him if you want any clubs let me know I still get my discount (so assume works for them?) He was telling me how he picked up a sim driver so cheap etc

Sounds like a great time for you to buy! I hope if that's true then it still runs the same way - I get a lot of my stuff from there. Just picked up a Cobra F9 driver this week, rang up because the cobra connect looked damaged and they sent me out a box of them. I've used them since I started golf.