10 Most Influential Women Golfers?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Am putting together a bookazine for GM on women's golf. There will be a feature on the most influential female players - who would you want to see in there? Want it to be a mix of past and present and obvious and maybe a couple less obvious if you are able to provide any ideas?

Albo

Visit site
Am putting together a bookazine for GM on women's golf. There will be a feature on the most influential female players - who would you want to see in there? Want it to be a mix of past and present and obvious and maybe a couple less obvious if you are able to provide any ideas?
Paige Spirinac :)
Laura Davies

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a family connection - Dad’s cousin, with Christine Langford who was one of the founder members of the Ladies European Tour. Would be great to see her in the article

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
British

Dorothy Campbell (first woman to win US and British Ladies amateur)
Lottie Dod (see also Wimbledon tennis champion)
Joyce Wethered (leading lady amateur between WWI and WWII, greatly admired by Bobby Jones)
Diana Fishwick (Bruce Critchley's mum)
Vivien Saunders (first lady Captain of PGA)
Mickey Walker
Dame Laura Davies

US
Glenna Collett-Vare (the finest lady golfer between the wars)
Patty Berg (prolific winner and one of the 13 founders of the LPGA)
Louise Suggs (prolific winner and one of the 13 founders of the LPGA)
Mildred 'Babe' Didriksen (later Zaharias) - multi sport legend
Marilynn Smith (main driving force behiind the early LPGA tour)
Kathy Whitworth (88 tournament victories)
Mickey Wright (the greatest of all lady golfers)
Nancy Lopez (charismatic and naturally gifted)
Joanne Carner (legend of both the amateur and professional game)

ROW
Annika Sorenstam
Se Ri Pak
Karrie Webb
Inbee Park
Lorena Ochoa

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Most have already been mentioned but a few more:
Lady Margaret Scott was a pioneer player winning the first three British Ladies Amateur Championships in 1893, 94 & 95.
Issette Pearson was a founding member of the Ladies Golf Union which set up the first working handicap system.
Also not to be forgotten was Gloria Minoprio who had an early influence on women's dress on the course, cue another shameless plug! :D

DCB

Visit site
One of the early LET players Jane Connachan. Quite a player in her day, but an inspirational coach after she stopped playing on the LET. We had her at an event during our Clubs centenary year and she was absolutely superb as she entertained us on the tee. Witty, a good communicator and able to show how the task should be done. She currently coaches down in East Lothian and works with the Steven Gallacher Foundation coaching the next generation of golfers.

Albo

Visit site
Please don't include someone simply cos they have a big chest that they show off:rolleyes:
It depends how you determine influence I suppose.

I mention Paige Spirinac earlier, part tongue in cheeks, however, I did see something a few weeks back about golfers with the most social media followers, she was 2nd behind Tiger.
Now im not suggesting her inclusion seriously, but given that level of 'followers' she clearly has some influence.

Edit to say: nope sorry, she has the most followers, 500k more than Tiger. (And this is Instagram only).

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Please don't include someone simply cos they have a big chest that they show off:rolleyes:

I get where you're coming from, but maybe a tad unfair. She most definitely plays on her looks, but she's also a more than half decent golfer, and with over 3 million followers, it seems she's the most followed golfer on Instagram (https://golficity.com/paige-sprianac-is-now-the-most-followed-golfer-on-instagram/). I guess one could argue that she has influence in todays era of social media, although I'm not sure myself :D. I'm not personally a fan, but I don't dislike her specifically, I've seen a few of her videos, they're OK, certainly not the worst I've seen. Whether that puts her in the top 10 most influential female golfers is another thing though :unsure:.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the website for Parkstone Golf Club. There are lots of them mentioned on there. Primarily pioneering amateurs of the ladies game from years gone by but the list does also include Georgia Hall. Their achievements are listed so not much research required.

sunshine

Visit site
I get where you're coming from, but maybe a tad unfair. She most definitely plays on her looks, but she's also a more than half decent golfer, and with over 3 million followers, it seems she's the most followed golfer on Instagram (https://golficity.com/paige-sprianac-is-now-the-most-followed-golfer-on-instagram/). I guess one could argue that she has influence in todays era of social media, although I'm not sure myself :D. I'm not personally a fan, but I don't dislike her specifically, I've seen a few of her videos, they're OK, certainly not the worst I've seen. Whether that puts her in the top 10 most influential female golfers is another thing though :unsure:.

You are correct. She has massive influence.

Although technically is she a golfer? She's not on tour, she's a social media influencer who plays golf.