10 Most Influential Women Golfers?

D

Deleted member 1147

You are correct. She has massive influence.

Although technically is she a golfer? She's not on tour, she's a social media influencer who plays golf.
Or a golfer who became a SM influencer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it have to be a lady renowned for their playing of the game of golf....surely Fanny Sunesson might warrant inclusion from a non playing perspective?
That's an interesting point but the headline states golfers so I would suggest not.

If the question was Who have been the most influential women in golf? then Fanny would have a very strong claim to be in there.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That's an interesting point but the headline states golfers so I would suggest not.

If the question was Who have been the most influential women in golf? then Fanny would have a very strong claim to be in there.

Absolutely but, not knowing a huge amount about the underlying bookazine other than the opening post, which reading between the lines seemed to indicate that the players feature would be just one of several, I thought I would throw Fanny's name into the mix.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does it have to be a lady renowned for their playing of the game of golf....surely Fanny Sunesson might warrant inclusion from a non playing perspective?

That’s a great shout. If you’re asked to think of women in golf, Fanny would be top 5 surely. Really interesting story as well, I listened to a podcast interview with her a while back.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I mention Paige Spirinac earlier, part tongue in cheeks, however, I did see something a few weeks back about golfers with the most social media followers, she was 2nd behind Tiger.
Now im not suggesting her inclusion seriously, but given that level of 'followers' she clearly has some influence.

Edit to say: nope sorry, she has the most followers, 500k more than Tiger. (And this is Instagram only).
Might I respectfully suggest that the overwhelming majority of her followers aren't doing so for the golf?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Imagine discriminating against a very, very good female golfer just because she’s attractive.

A golfer that has 3 million followers and will undoubtedly have inspired a huge number of young female golfers into playing.

Just imagine that level of discrimination just because she does not fit ‘your’ view of the world.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
British

Dorothy Campbell (first woman to win US and British Ladies amateur)
Lottie Dod (see also Wimbledon tennis champion)
Joyce Wethered (leading lady amateur between WWI and WWII, greatly admired by Bobby Jones)
Diana Fishwick (Bruce Critchley's mum)
Vivien Saunders (first lady Captain of PGA)
Mickey Walker
Dame Laura Davies

US
Glenna Collett-Vare (the finest lady golfer between the wars)
Patty Berg (prolific winner and one of the 13 founders of the LPGA)
Louise Suggs (prolific winner and one of the 13 founders of the LPGA)
Mildred 'Babe' Didriksen (later Zaharias) - multi sport legend
Marilynn Smith (main driving force behiind the early LPGA tour)
Kathy Whitworth (88 tournament victories)
Mickey Wright (the greatest of all lady golfers)
Nancy Lopez (charismatic and naturally gifted)
Joanne Carner (legend of both the amateur and professional game)

ROW
Annika Sorenstam
Se Ri Pak
Karrie Webb
Inbee Park
Lorena Ochoa

Lorena Ochoa. Good call.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll offer up Alice Dye. An American golfer who won over 50 amateur titles and went on to design over 100 courses with her husband (including TPC Saw Grass, Whistling Straits and Kiawah Island).
She is credited with coming up with the design for the 17th island green at TPC Sawgrass.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Cheers for all these, very helpful. Is just golfers otherwise Fanny would be in

D

Deleted member 15344

Laura Davies
Lydia Ko
Suzann Peterson
Charlie Hull
Karrie Webb
Catronia Matthew