10-20 yarder from very thick rough

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 completely hopeless attempts at this shot cost me winning my first medal on Sunday so I need advice. When I say thick rough, I mean seriously thick nasty overgrown tufts of grass - not standard thick rough on the side of the fairway.

I attempted a standard 52 degree wedge chip, but I think it was a huge mistake. I'm considering next time to use a p or even a 9 iron and just make sure I punch it out and get it somewhere on the green. Is that the right way to do it?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
2 completely hopeless attempts at this shot cost me winning my first medal on Sunday so I need advice. When I say thick rough, I mean seriously thick nasty overgrown tufts of grass - not standard thick rough on the side of the fairway.

I attempted a standard 52 degree wedge chip, but I think it was a huge mistake. I'm considering next time to use a p or even a 9 iron and just make sure I punch it out and get it somewhere on the green. Is that the right way to do it?

play it a bit like a bunker shot, use a SI or higher loft, open the face and I mean way open THEN grip it tightly, pick it up steeply and while keeping a very firm grip smash into the back of the ball, it will pop out straight 9 times out of 10 but dont expect to be able to accurately judge distance or direction but it wont go far if its serious up to your knees rough :rolleyes:
anything lower then same technique but open the face less (but still a good 30degrees)

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me, this shot is all about the lie and a whole slice of luck! theres also the chance of an injury if the grass is thick.
If your ball is sitting down, you probably cant get a lofted wedge underneath it and will end up thinning it. If its sitting up, you run the risk of hitting the top of the club face and the ball not going far at all.
If there is a tuft behind the ball play it back in your stance to come down a bit steeper.
If you can get the club underneath the ball, then a sand wedge with an open face is likely to be the best option. If not, a wedge or gap wedge would be my choice.
Sometimes its wise to take your medicine. Do not try anything risky and just get it back in play.
It might have cost you this time but learning from this will mean next that next time you will be wise and do not try anything risky - you will win one soon.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could also consider declaring the ball unplayable if there is an option of a better lie within two club lengths no nearer the hole.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd agree with the advice to play it like a bunker shot.

Had a lesson in the summer and we tried a few trouble shots including chipping out of thick rough near the green. My pro said take a SW or LW and open up the face as it stops the club digging into the grass and gets the ball up quickly. It does work.

I wouldn't recommend using less loft.

Gregolf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weird. I would have thought it's dangerous to open up the club face in thick rough because it will open up even more on impact, getting caught up in the rough. I guess you just need a much tighter grip too.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weird. I would have thought it's dangerous to open up the club face in thick rough because it will open up even more on impact, getting caught up in the rough. I guess you just need a much tighter grip too.

My understanding is that when hitting out of thick grass the the grass catches the hosel and causes the face to shut. I always open the face a touch when playing from thick rough to counteract this.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

complete opposite and in fact the grass wraps around the shaft and closes the face dramatically thats why I say really open the face at least 30degrees, in thick thick stuff I open 45degrees and it pops out straight, practice so you get the feeling and see the results

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure how bad you're talking if you're mentioning tufts and trying a regular chip shot anyway.

If it's real nasty stuff google Pelz drop chop rip and blast. You'll find a useful link to his short game bible and these 4 shots.