Tips on how to play out of thick, lush rough...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the lie's not good enough to get to the green comfortably make sure you get the damn thing back on the fairway & the worst score that comes from being in the rough is a bogey!

Yep. Have been still going for the green and/or getting it well down the hole on Par 5's but need to be more realistic and if I have to take an extra shot to get there BUT that's from the short stuff then so be it :) Beats the bunker or still in the clag!

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If the rough is really lush, I would treat it in a sim,ilar way to the way I get out of the heather at my course.

I put the ball back in the stand a bit, I close the clubface a little then hit (chop) down on the ball, the ball will always pop up. I never use a club higher than an 8 iron, mostly use a wedge out of heather, for rough, I would probably use a 6 or 7 iron max.

Two important things to remember:

1. Your aim is to get the ball back in play on the fairway - do not go for the "glory shot".
2. Do not quit on the swing. The club will stop dead and the ball will go nowhere!

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the lie's not good enough to get to the green comfortably make sure you get the damn thing back on the fairway & the worst score that comes from being in the rough is a bogey!

+1 for that :thup:

I always think of some wise words I got told once.

"You can never take a bad shot back, just make sure it does not cost you any more shots than it needs to"

With respect to your OP, this is how I would relate it.

You have hit it in the rough and can't change that. If you go for the hollywood shot you could end up walking off with a double or worse. But be sensible and make sure you get it out, put your next shot on the green and take the bogey, you may even get lucky and still make par.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the rough is really lush, I would treat it in a sim,ilar way to the way I get out of the heather at my course.

I put the ball back in the stand a bit, I close the clubface a little then hit (chop) down on the ball, the ball will always pop up. I never use a club higher than an 8 iron, mostly use a wedge out of heather, for rough, I would probably use a 6 or 7 iron max.

1. Your aim is to get the ball back in play on the fairway - do not go for the "glory shot".
2. Do not quit on the swing. The club will stop dead and the ball will go nowhere!

this is my method.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I cant see how closing the face- which will close even further when the grass/heather wraps around the shaft- will do anything except smother the ball deeper into the grass/heather

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
in depends what rought im in. rough on the left, Ill stand closed. rough on the right ill stand open. very steep into it.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I cant see how closing the face- which will close even further when the grass/heather wraps around the shaft- will do anything except smother the ball deeper into the grass/heather

I find it easier to stand taller and swing a little more upright/steeper aiming just right of the target line and sometimes closing the face actually gets the ball out of the lie hotter as you know the face will not be left open if it goes wrong. Again, it gets the ball out amd moving where an open face might go too far under the ball and not turn over at all. This may not be text book but it works great.