1 st post Driver distance and my Hadicap

Seanster

Visit site
Couple of questions here?

1. How far should I be expecting to hit my (or a new custom fit) driver?

2. Do u think its possible for me to get to single figures (9.4 target) before August 9th 2011?

My details

38yrsold

Play mizuno mx200's Rifle x 5.5, mx700 23.20 Stiff shaft

Current driver Callaway big bertha 380cc stiff

6 iron 168 yds carry (only club measured on a trackman) warmish day!

feel I getting towards a "proper" golf swing! having lessons. ie have full turn working on lag on downswing, tad inconsistant straight to slight draw, occational duff (slice!)

Practicing 3 times week at range 300-400 balls per week.

Used to play off 14 9 yrs ago took 8 yrs off (dont ask). didnt practice. 2 rounds per week.

Planning getting new driver once hitting current one well!

Plan to spend time on short game when weather improves(never did last time around)

Anything else you need to know please ask!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: 1 st post Driver distance and my Hadicap

Going by your 6 iron distance i would say a distance of 220 -240 winter no roll,235 -260 summer with roll with a driver.As to the question of handicap im sure you can with the commitment of practice you do,however quality is better than quantity the short game and putting is the key.Welcome to the forum.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Very few golfers get to single figures, but obviously it is possible. Best thing is to just enjoy playing, do a bit o practice, and see what happens.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

If you are hitting a 6 iron 168 yards carry (and as long as it is all carry) then you are hitting slightly longer than average.
By my reckoning then you should be able to drive the ball around 250-270 during the Summer months with a bit of roll, maybe the odd one nudging 290 or so if you get hold of it.
During the winter this would come down to about 230 or thereabouts.
But it's not all about distance. To get down to single figures it's your short game that will be called upon and it's only by practicing your chipping and putting you will get down to one digit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Does it matter how far you are hitting it (within reason) as long as its finding the short stuff. All this I his a 6 iron xx yards is baloney. Use whatever you need to get it there.

I do think its possible but I wouldn't be hitting that many balls focussing on the long swing. Its quality not quantity and so easy to start grooving swing flaws as you get tired. Practice regularly but make sure you are regularly talking with your teaching pro. I think once you start working on the short game your score will tumble. Clearly you have some ability from playing before and I'm sure once you get back into it and work on it you can get to 9 or even lower

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. How far should I be expecting to hit my (or a new custom fit) driver?
a long way.... 168 carry with 6 iron....distance not a problem.

2. Do u think its possible for me to get to single figures (9.4 target) before August 9th 2011?
Yes. 1 1/2 years. I did it in two.....before I quit.

Practicing 3 times week at range 300-400 balls per week.....Good, that'll do it

Used to play off 14 9 yrs ago took 8 yrs off (dont ask). didnt practice. 2 rounds per week......Did you ever make scores that would mean IF you got back to the standard you were, you could then improve by 5 better? - I expect so, with a fresh attitude to practice. If you played off 14 with no practice, shouldn't be too difficult i.m.o.

:)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that any bloke who can devote a bit of time to their game, has some hand eye co-ordination, a bit of strength and flexibility and can listen to sensible instruction can get down to low double figures or lower, so I say you can do it.

168 carry is a good carry with a 6 iron, and probably puts you at 100mph or a bit more with the driver. That is enough to get a ball around any reasonable golf course. I would say an average carry of about 250 with the driver would be proportional to that 6 iron distance.

Now forget the driver and 6 iron, and get out your wedges and putter. Your fate lies with them.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Now forget the driver and 6 iron, and get out your wedges and putter. Your fate lies with them.

Absolutely. You hit it further than me (5) and I hit it 20 past my mate who's off 7. We can both "get it round" and get the thing in the hole though (most of the time anyway :D)

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

its definitly possible m8! i cam down from 21 to 11 in a season and a half, then steadied,took another two seasons to get to my current handicap of 8.9, hopefully some inspiration for you there. The other poster is correct though, the short game is the key.You can afford to miss a few greens in two, and if you have a decent short game,get close,take your par and run.Also course management. Think about where you want the ball to finish up,dont just whack it, and remember this- if you have say a handicap of 12, well theres 12 holes where bogey is an acceptable score,so before you tee off, think of the holes(normally the hardest),where you are not too dissapointed with bogey!It works for me! ;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

....and remember this- if you have say a handicap of 12, well theres 12 holes where bogey is an acceptable score,so before you tee off, think of the holes(normally the hardest),where you are not too dissapointed with bogey!It works for me! ;)

It works for me too. :)

In medal format, I'm looking to make bogey on 7 holes, including one par 3. I can GIR par on 4 of these on any given day, so there's only 3 where I set out to make a bogey.
If I bogey those 7, knock in a birdie or two then I can play well under my h'cap. It doesn't happen often, but if I went all-out for a par....well, doubles and triples are easily on the cards.

I also try not to get too upset if I'm 4 over after 4 or 5 over after 5, there's still time to get on course.

WhoGivesA

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I can only agree with the comments made in the previous replies. Distance is not the ultimate goal. Accuracy and consistency in all aspects of the game are more important.
Single figure handicappers spend a lot of time practising their short game and putting because they know that is the area where most can be gained(lower scores.
As far as Driver,Fairway woods, Hybrids and Long/mid irons they practice for accuracy and consistency, knowing exactly what their distances are with each club. Especially understanding how varying conditions affect each shot and how to counteract these effects. Next comes course management and finding which strategy works for your particular strengths or weaknesses.
Master all of this and more then your handicap will tumble down.
Good luck in your endeavors!
A member at my course is one of the longest hitters of the ball I have seen at club level(when he gets a straight one), He blasts the ball way way past mine but unfortunately for him he very rarely hits the fairways or greens in regulation. He ends up well into the rough etc maybe 6 to 8 times out of 10. Needless to say he still has a high handicap and a temper to match!!!