£500 for the headcover, how much did the putter cost?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s interesting that people get so emotional about this.

Call me cynical but I honestly can’t see what a phenomenally hefty price tag brings to a club’s performance other than, perhaps, aesthetic appeal and inarguable build quality.

However as regards the putter ‘putting better’ in itself as a result of laying out dopey money for the privilege of owning it, then I think this is yet another perfect example of the correlation between golf club manufacturers and snake oil sales.

As our French friends might say - pfft!

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Standard Cameron putters are now produced in China (I believe) and are nowhere near the quality they used to be.

Somehow Ken that dosent suprise me in the least. This is the bit that makes me chuckle. £12,000 Scotty made with German steel, £350 made with Chinese steel. Is there that much differance in quality of steel that a hacker would notice.
Had chance of buying one for £25, ( Newport 2) to my regret I didn't bother, but it never felt better than a TM Torra Rossa ( I think it was ) that felt gorgeous.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s interesting that people get so emotional about this.

Call me cynical but I honestly can’t see what a phenomenally hefty price tag brings to a club’s performance other than, perhaps, aesthetic appeal and inarguable build quality.

However as regards the putter ‘putting better’ in itself as a result of laying out dopey money for the privilege of owning it, then I think this is yet another perfect example of the correlation between golf club manufacturers and snake oil sales.

As our French friends might say - pfft!

I have a Huntington beach that is exactly the same shape as Newport 2. The Huntington Beach is very good, only cost £70 but the Cameron's are heavier, and do feel better. I think your high handicapper wouldn't notice, but for me as a lower handicapper, I've putted much better with the cameron or the new odyssey putters and would be better off paying more for a putter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Scottys are beautifully well made bits of kit but I've never found one I get on with despite several attempts so I wouldn't waste my money on one.
FTFY! If you want to see 'beautifully made' putters, some of Bob Bettinardi's limited run examples are great - and also sometimes gross!

As I've posted several/many times before, virtually the only ones I've ever really got on with were actually made by Bettinardi - the Ti3s (without the 'cushion' around the insert)! That cushion in the Scotty made ones was necessary because he was unable, at thetime, to mill with the required accuracy - something I'm certain that he's overcome now.

He's certainly a great marketeer though!

As for those prices...ridiculous! But there are/will always be idiots (who compete with some pure collectors/investors) who will fork out serious dosh for something they probably will never dare use! More fool them - purely imo of course!

D

Deleted Member 1156

FTFY!
As I've posted several/many times before, virtually the only ones I've ever really got on with were actually made by Bettinardi - the Ti3s (without the 'cushion' around the insert)! That cushion in the Scotty made ones was necessary because he was unable, at thetime, to mill with the required accuracy - something I'm certain that he's overcome now.

He's certainly a great marketeer though!

As for those prices...ridiculous! But there are/will always be idiots (who compete with some pure collectors/investors) who will fork out serious dosh for something they probably will never dare use! More fool them - purely imo of course!
Thanks for your opinion but I'll choose to ignore it. The 3 that I've owned but didn't get on with were beautifully made.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for your opinion but I'll choose to ignore it. The 3 that I've owned but didn't get on with were beautifully made.
No problem with that. I'd certainly call them 'well' made!

See my edited post for my version of 'beautiful'! Search Ebay for Bettinardi, then list Highest Price first! Oh, and the (plain) BB2 (I've had several, but don't get on with them!) really IS a thing of beauty!

However....Isn't it frustrating that (so often) we can't get on with what we consider 'beautiful' putters! My 'favourite' is fugly!

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a Newport that I loved for many years, and also a Kombi that stayed in the bag for a fair while (despite being one of the uglier Scottys out there). Would happily buy another Scotty if it suited my eye and I putted better than anything else on offer, happy enough with the one in the bag for now though

As for paying silly money, if youre collecting and think as an asset it will appreciate in value, why not

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Somehow Ken that dosent suprise me in the least. This is the bit that makes me chuckle. £12,000 Scotty made with German steel, £350 made with Chinese steel. Is there that much differance in quality of steel that a hacker would notice.
Had chance of buying one for £25, ( Newport 2) to my regret I didn't bother, but it never felt better than a TM Torra Rossa ( I think it was ) that felt gorgeous.
To be honest it is pretty funny people seem to think jap steel and German steel are superior, all steel is made to international standards and a certain grade of steel is the same whether it's from Thailand, the US or the UK, it makes no difference. If you are a multimillionaire and you want that putter why wouldn't you pay 10 grand for it, its value is subjective and is only what someone else is willing to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't pay that but have no issue to somebody buying something they value and will get enjoyment from having

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Appreciate there is a collectable appeal to golf clubs and putters but short of spending a few hundred quid on a nice shiny club or two every few years, spending thousands is just mental.

Obviously to the buyer, it may be the equivalent of a 'normal' golfer spending £350 on a putter, but even then, if you happen to have such wealth and feel you need to show it off with such a purchase, then you are probably not very secure about how you came to realise such wealth.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seeing what people spend on cars I can guess why someone might buy these putters. Overheard a conversation today between parents regarding the “aggressiveness” of the styling being very important and they were glad they paid extra for it!

I can’t understand that myself because I just see cars as A-B and nothing else.

Crazy thing was they were saying it was the first time they had taken their 6 year old to soft play!

I would rather cheap out on the car (except safety of course) and treat the kids than spend more on a car and not take them fun places.

Have I accidentally stumbled on to a Volkswagen Golf forum?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Appreciate there is a collectable appeal to golf clubs and putters but short of spending a few hundred quid on a nice shiny club or two every few years, spending thousands is just mental.

Obviously to the buyer, it may be the equivalent of a 'normal' golfer spending £350 on a putter, but even then, if you happen to have such wealth and feel you need to show it off with such a purchase, then you are probably not very secure about how you came to realise such wealth.
Maybe they are pretty wealthy, want an exclusive putter, happen to like it and they money doesn't mean much. Nothing about being insecure, that's just a ridiculous point to make imo

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have this milled putter which I think is every bit as good as a SC. If I was being cynical I'd say you're paying for the name and reputation. There are some brands that seem to command big money compared to similar and SC are one of those

Attachments

• PROTYPE TOUR 9 PUT.jpg
    PROTYPE TOUR 9 PUT.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I have this milled putter which I think is every bit as good as a SC. If I was being cynical I'd say you're paying for the name and reputation. There are some brands that seem to command big money compared to similar and SC are one of those
Along with all the other big golf brands

You could look through most golf bags and find cheaper versions of most of their clubs .

D

Deleted member 18588

Maybe they are pretty wealthy, want an exclusive putter, happen to like it and they money doesn't mean much. Nothing about being insecure, that's just a ridiculous point to make imo

As the OP and having met the guy I am pretty sure that there didn't seem to be any shortage of funds and, so what, his money and for him to decide how he spends it.

However, it was also clear that, in his view, if a club didn't cost a lot of money then it couldn't be any good.

Also, having seen the putter in question I would suggest that if it is to become collectable it won't be on the strength of its looks!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
As the OP and having met the guy I am pretty sure that there didn't seem to be any shortage of funds and, so what, his money and for him to decide how he spends it.

However, it was also clear that, in his view, if a club didn't cost a lot of money then it couldn't be any good.

Also, having seen the putter in question I would suggest that if it is to become collectable it won't be on the strength of its looks!
I agree mate though beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day and some people see custom putters as art and appreciate how much time and effort has been put in. Personally I'd use a plank of wood if it worked though